Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can Grains Affect Children's Personality? page 2

paleodog is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    As an adult I can say that grains dramatically effected my personality. I have been off of all grains now for over a month and here are my observations:

1. Less moody.
    2. No more inexplicable depression.
    3. No more negative thoughts for no apparant reason.
    4. Less agressive and angry.
    5. No more thoughts of wanting to "die and get it over with."
    6. Better energy and social enjoyment.

That's me as an adult, I'm sure as a kid it would probably be the much the same for me anyway.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I wonder what I would have turned out to be if my mom never ruined my childhood with bread. Could have amounted to so much more...
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I wonder what I would have turned out to be if my mom never ruined my childhood with bread. Could have amounted to so much more...
    You can talk to us here when a child in your care is having real problems and the answers are eluding you. Otherwise, it would behoove you to shut up and really listen. You might actually learn something. Or at least you might be struck with a glimmer of empathy.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Sorry, no empathy here, I just ate grains.

Seriously though, it's not unlikely the abrasive fibers are causing serotonin to circulate in the blood. In which case, yes, removing grains would cause an improvement in your child's mood.
    Last edited by Derpamix; 01-24-2013 at 09:16 AM.

Sorry, no empathy here, I just ate grains.
    That does explain a lot about you.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    That does explain a lot about you.
    Well, I didn't really eat grains though. Have any other explanation?

Also, I appended more to that post. Fermentable fibers in grains have been shown to cause bacterial toxin build-up, which causes serotonin to circulate in the blood, which sparks aggression and irritability.

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    I didn't read other posts, so forgive me if this is redundant.

My children didn't test positive for wheat allergies but they are completely different people with grains, legumes and nuts in their diet. Put your children on a 100% strict paleo diet, with limited nuts too for a full 3 months and they might become very calm, emotionally stable little people.

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the blog link, Scott (good one!) and for everyone's input. My daughter, 8, seems to be coming out of what was loosely labeled as Sensory Processing Disorder, and I continue to ponder the diet connection for her. I'm full Primal but my wife and kids aren't, and since our son, 10, has cystic fibrosis (and therefore needs to eat a lot, calorie density all the time), putting "restrictions" on food choices has worried us as limiting for his caloric intake...since high BMI is one of the best indicators for a good prognosis. Deep down I know that lots of calories from GOOD sources is the ideal--even if pizza is easier, especially in situations like birthday parties where those grain and sugar choices are constant. I'm considering trying a family-wide Whole 30. Anyone done it? Am I nuts to consider it?

Well, I didn't really eat grains though. Have any other explanation?
    Yup. Sounds like a personality problem. I read back through some of your posts, on top of what I have read as I stroll around the forum. Nothing much in the way of support for anyone, you disagree with the Primal every chance possible on a forum dedicated to exploring this path (not just focused disagreements, which would make sense), take pot shots at moms, and pseudo-learned one-liners about an astounding array of subjects are your specialty.

Did I forget something? But you do spell well.

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Yup. Sounds like a personality problem. I read back through some of your posts, on top of what I have read as I stroll around the forum. Nothing much in the way of support for anyone, you disagree with the Primal every chance possible on a forum dedicated to exploring this path (not just focused disagreements, which would make sense), take pot shots at moms, and pseudo-learned one-liners about an astounding array of subjects are your specialty.

Did I forget something? But you do spell well.
    No, that's pretty accurate. Except, it's not "pseudo-learned", as I have a real use for it, as well as a genuine interest in it and no difficulty remembering what I've learned. As well as the fact I don't claim to have any sort of advanced degree or education. You can claim that what I know is wrong, but it's not the same thing.

Also, I don't think I have knowledge, pseudo, or other, about an astounding array of subjects. Just a desire to learn about a wide variety of complexities.

My spelling and grammar are atrocious btw, it's always been my weakest subject.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast