Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palm oil question page

Stabby is offline Senior Member

Palm oil question

Shop Now
    So I got two kinds of palm oil at the African market. One is liquidy but not as much as, say, olive oil, and it's red and the other is solid and white. I'm assuming that the solid and white one is refined and it definitely doesn't taste as good so I'm probably going with the red stuff. I suspect the white stuff is hydrogenated because why would a fat that is nearly half monounsaturated be completely solid at room temperature. Whatcha guys think?

Opinions, advice, and recipes appreciated.

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    Red is unrefined. It appears red becasue of the beta carotene.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Just be weary of the taste... I've heard that's the only problem with palm

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Ha I hear ya on that one. This is going to take some tweaking but I think I can turn it into a palatable sauce or something. The old Africans were so impressed to see a young white guy taking an interest in their ancestral foods. I also got some beef tounges. Now those are a trip! This is old-school cookin'.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    I think the white is purely the kernel oil, while the red includes what's pressed from the fruit and kernel.

Ah! You hit the nail on the head; thank you. I'm a bit relieved that the white stuff wasn't hydrogenated, I ate a tbs plain, blarg.

Looks like it's the palm oil not the kernel oil that I was looking for. The kernel oil is nutritionally a lot like coconut but with some undesirable superfluous PUFAs. And nowhere near the taste.

Athena is offline Senior Member
    Palm oil is horrible for the environment. They tear down the rainforest to make palm oil farms. Seriously don't support that business next time! Buy coconut oil/avocado oil instead!

Whoa, I didn't know that. There are environmentalists freaking out about this like mad. Now I feel guilty

It's the palmitic acid I'm after and the unique phytonutrients. Coconut (which I love and use every day) is mostly lauric acid. Avocado is of course mostly monounsaturated so I'm in a bit of a bind here. Okay next time I'll either get some organic Canadian-made envirofriendly stuff. Thanks for the heads-up

Athena is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    Whoa, I didn't know that. There are environmentalists freaking out about this like mad. Now I feel guilty

It's the palmitic acid I'm after and the unique phytonutrients. Coconut (which I love and use every day) is mostly lauric acid. Avocado is of course mostly monounsaturated so I'm in a bit of a bind here. Okay next time I'll either get some organic Canadian-made envirofriendly stuff. Thanks for the heads-up
    Its all good. A lot of people aren't aware of it. Its cool that you care though! Only reason I really know is my fiance worked for Greenpeace for a long time so I heard all about whats going on down there

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Didn't know that Athena, good info!

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast