Thread: Rugby page

squid Guest

Primal Fuel

I haven't played in two years and I have an opportunity to play again. I want to get in shape for it but I don't really want to fall back into a chronic cardio regime to achieve this. I like to sprint and recognize that it is important, but I have to be able to run a full game (two 40 min halves) and I don't think just doing sprints will give me enough endurance. Any advice?

westernman Guest

Squid, keep up the sprint work, that goes without saying, but you also need to add some strength work and metabolic conditioning work. As you know there is more to rugby than running.

Strength- deadlifts, squats, pull ups and presses, low rep, heavy weight is all you need for strength and conditioning. Obviously if you are new to weight training, seek advice on form and progress slowly.

Circuit Training- Weights,body weight exercises mixed with bursts of running will take your overall fitness to levels endurance running just cant touch. Short intense workouts that push you heart rate way up fast and engage as many muscles as possible are key.

squid Guest

I've definitely added strength training (when I played in high school I was forward) though lately it has been more sporadic than I would like. I do try to aim for shorter reps with higher weights and compound movements. How short should my workouts be?

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member

I used to play but then switched schools and my new school doesn't have a women's rugby team. Since that was before I had heard about the PB, I played winger since I had a lot of stamina/cardio endurance.

I'll admit, I'm still kind of a cardio-slave (not because I think its healthy, but because having a lot of cardio endurance is crucial to my most favorite activity ever: walking up large piles of rock, snow and ice with a heavy pack in oxygen-depleted environments).

Anyway, I feel that if I were to return to playing now (which I would do in an instant if given the opportunity), I would be better suited to play a forward, because the strength training and other PB exercises (like burpees) seem more like stuff that would be beneficial to forwards. The burst of energy that you would need to sprint and take down whoever has the ball on the other team seems quite primal to me

Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

westernman Guest

Sounds like you have the strength training on track, compound movements are the way to go, but Take your time with the strength work. When I talk about short intense workouts Im talking about the metabolic stuff. body weight stuff like push ups, air squats, sit ups, skipping, box jumps, etc mixed with short bursts of running will really test you. And of course as Amymac703 suggests dont forget burpees, guaranteed to bring even the fittest to their knees.

Choose a handful of movements, Just for an example, 10 push ups, 20 air squats, 30 sit ups, run 200m. for 5 rounds. Workouts should be around the 20min mark,and time your efforts so you can track your progress.Change up your workouts regularly to keep the body guessing. As a mentioned before ths type of training will get you miles fitter than extended cardio work and will help to retain power and muscle.

Yes this is crossfit type work and I dont hide the fact that I believe crossfit is the ideal training for rugby. But to begin with, rather than tie yourself into overly structured training its good to just lace up the rugby boots, find the nearest patch of grass and run through routines that need little or no equipment.

AceQHounddog is offline Junior Member

You might take a look at CrossfitFootball.com. It's a crossfit brand for contact sport athletes. It's pretty brutal and effective, and football and rugby players alike are using with success.

squid Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Thanks for the suggestions! The bodyweight/running mix should be fairly easy to incorporate and I'll check out the crossfit site.