Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KETOSIS- please help me get there! page 2

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jan11 View Post
    Oh wait- if I did 55g protein, 25g carb, is that 25 total or net?
    Most people around here work on total carbs.
    Good luck with it

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Who is eating that much fat? I eat half that amount, the amount suggested above is about the same?
    Yes, that is you who is eating a starvation diet. She is actually eating decent calories at 22-2500.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Yes, that is you who is eating a starvation diet. She is actually eating decent calories at 22-2500.
    actually its not worth it.

Zach is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    actually its not worth it.
    I agreed with you that you are eating half the amount she is eating...

diene is offline Senior Member
    Try the Kekwick fat fast--technically it's 1000 calories a day -- 90% fat, 10% protein, negligible carbs (small amounts in cheese and/or eggs). I do a modified version that's not as strict--between 1000 and 1200 calories, 75% (or more) fat, the rest protein, negligible carbs. I also eat about half a box of raw arugula (the small Earthbound Organic box) a day when I do this. Arugula contains a negligible number of calories and carbs, and it gives me something to eat. When I do this, I am in ketosis by the evening of the second day. (I only check at night when I get home from work so it could have been sooner than that, but I wouldn't know.) I don't do it for more than 2 days in a row because it's miserable and I'm concerned about muscle catabolysis from not getting enough protein. I've noticed that once you get into ketosis, you can up your protein intake and still stay in ketosis.

Get some ketostix so that you know if you're in ketosis. Ketostix works pretty well until you become keto-adapted, in which case, you have to test your blood for ketones because you stop excreting it in your urine.

But I have to tell you that not everyone experiences appetite suppression while in ketosis. I used to think that ketosis would be my panacea. But, of course, there is no panacea. I did not experience any appetite suppression while in ketosis. In fact, I was hungry all the time on the fat fast, which is why I rarely do it anymore and never do it for more than 2 days at a time when I do.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    So eating 210-240g of fat a day doesnt seem weird at all?
    Pretty sure I've done that in a single meal, but I'm an active dude. But no, there's absolutely nothing weird about eating 2,000 calories or a bit less from fat in a day. Especially if the idea is to get your body into ketosis.

I would be worried about vitamin toxicity (unless your just eating empty fat cals from oil which is also weird) and PUFA.
    Watch out for those nutrient-dense whole foods. That stuff'll kill ya! Sorry, WTF?!

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Question: Once someone begins a ketogenic diet, how long does it take for that to begin setting in? Is it something that can be ballparked, or would it vary too widely?

M.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12