Thread: Feeling unwell when I exercise - not eating enough? page

PaleoPanda is offline Member

Feeling unwell when I exercise - not eating enough?

Primal Fuel
    I went paleo at the start of this year, having been primal for a while. I cut dairy to see if it would improve my digestive problems. I guess it has a bit.

However I am now having a problem when I do workouts with feeling dizzy, faint and nauseous, and also having general fatigue issues. I am wondering if it is that I am not eating enough? I do Crossfit, yoga, and cycling. The Crossfit workouts are causing me the most bother.

Today, I ate:

a black coffee, palm sized portion of smoked salmon, 2 eggs scrambled with about a teaspoon of butter, 1/2 avocado topped with lemon juice.

Salad made with 1/2 cup quinoa, about 1/2 cup of roast squash and beetroot, 2 tbsp pomegranate seeds, lettuce, pea shoots, and topped with a few pine nuts and a couple of slices of deli roast beef.
    1 pot of sugar free apple puree

My pre-workout snack was 1 slice of paleo banana bread, made with a mixture of ground almonds and coconut flour. Had this 2 hours before the Crossfit session.

I drink a fair bit of water and herbal teas throughout the day.

My crossfit session was just awful - dizzy, nauseous, no energy, had palpitations as well.

Is this a hypoglycemia type thing, is this down to me not eating enough, or not choosing the right pre-workout snacks? Dehydration? My office was pretty hot today and it did make me feel quite tired. The reason I'm concerned over not eating enough is that I did used to count calories using My Fitness Pal, and it became a bit of an issue (starve/binge cycles) so now I'm learning to ride my own bike without counting. It has been better, in that I've curbed the snacking a lot, and not bingeing, but I just don't really know how much I should be eating, especially to fuel exercise, and I'm quite anxious about putting weight on now that I'm not counting.

If you've got to the end of this ramble, you've done well! Happy to have any thoughts/input you may have.

Deegie is offline Junior Member
    Could it be carb flu? Look that up, its like carb withdrawal.

Have you tried eating a proper meal about an hour before working out?

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    hmmm.. food looks good... (great actually - well done)

you aren't pregnant or about to have your period?

how are you feeling in general outside of the workouts? How do you look, feel and perform? how's your sleep? How's your stress? How's your life?

I don't think this is the carb flu. Plenty of carbs in that day of food, especially with the banana bread.

The reason I'm concerned over not eating enough is that I did used to count calories using My Fitness Pal, and it became a bit of an issue (starve/binge cycles) so now I'm learning to ride my own bike without counting. It has been better, in that I've curbed the snacking a lot, and not bingeing, but I just don't really know how much I should be eating, especially to fuel exercise, and I'm quite anxious about putting weight on now that I'm not counting.
    One thing that people in this position I know really have had success with is the zone diet way of counting food blocks.
    It is a way to help you determine how much food you need to function optimally (without over eating). Google it.

You might look into it if you are unsure of how much you should be eating.

You symptoms are consistent with calorie restriction; though if you are attempting to lose fat as efficiently as possible, these symptoms go with the territory.

The fact that you post here that you are extremely uncomfortable makes me think that this is not how you want to be losing fat and that's understandable given that you are probably not an athlete. In that case I'd consider reducing your high intensity exercise and replacing with more yoga, walking or play instead of increasing your calories.

however if you are not attempting to lose fat and actually are an athlete, by all means you should eat more calories. As an athlete who is not attempting to lose fat, always eat when you are hungry.
    Last edited by TheFastCat; 01-24-2013 at 07:25 AM.
    ad astra per aspera

sarahelyse is offline Member
    I'm assuming that you're relatively fit since you seem pretty active, but I thought I'd throw this out there just in case.

I felt like what you're describing when I first started working out. (I was *super* inactive before this.) Once I toned down my workouts to a more manageable level of effort, the symptoms went away.

PaleoPanda is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the responses.

Neither pregnant or about to have a period!

I'm a mountain biker and have been for some years. So I'm pretty active, I only started crossfit recently though. I have been under a fair bit of stress at work lately though, and generally feeling pretty fatigued - I can't seem to wake up and get going in the morning no matter how much sleep I get. But actually the exercise helps relieve the stress so it's a bummer not being able to do it.