Thread: Multivitamins and Supplements Question page

Lanie is offline Junior Member

Multivitamins and Supplements Question

Primal Fuel
    I'm a new member to this forum but I've been following PB now for quite a few months. I'm eighteen years old, in college (where Primal eating is SO difficult) and am very excited to know that this lifestyle has so much information to back it up with. I still eat grains once a week as more of an "indulgence", but am slowly taking it out of my regular lifestyle. I'm not looking to lose weight, only to tone up and be healthier.

But my real question for everyone is about supplements. My mother has always made me take my vitamins and sent me off to college with an Equate Complete Multivitamin bottle. I just remember this month that I had it, so I've only just begun to start taking one every day. In addition, I am never sure I get enough calcium and never drank milk when I was younger, so I started taking Spring Valley Calcium supplements every day (only one 600 mg rather than the recommended two).

Should I be taking these supplements? I consider myself a healthy individual and just want to continue that healthy lifestyle. My family has a history of depression, high cholesterol, and kidney disease so I would like to do everything I can to avoid those issues.

Any suggestions? Any supplements I SHOULD be taking but am not? I know I haven't given all of you my complete diet so it's hard to figure everything out, but it IS mostly primal -- chicken, beef, vegetables, fruit, nuts, etc. The only thing I don't eat is fish because that's hard to come by on a college meal plan.

A long question, I know, but if any of you could give me some tips, that would be wonderful!

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't take a calcium supplement or multi vitamin. Search calcium on this site... Mark has discussed it.

Check here for recommended supplements:
    Supplement Recs | Perfect Health Diet

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    and if you don't take a multi, make sure your diet is varied

and if you DO take a multi, make sure the quality is high
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Balance is offline Senior Member
    If you are getting in a balanced whole foods diet you will be better off than using a multi-vitamin. Some vitamin supplements are not absorbed well compared to the whole food itself. If I was to recommend supplementation I would go with Vitamin D3 especially in the winter months and since you mentioned you had a family history of depression. But obviously, getting sun is superior than supplementation depending on your weather. If you feel like you are inflammed I would look for a good fermented cod liver oil to supplement your omega-3's. But again eating wild caught fish is a better option. Good luck and congrats on the new lifestyle!
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    and if you don't take a multi, make sure your diet is varied

and if you DO take a multi, make sure the quality is high
    +1, and i agree with Balance about supplementing with vit D.

it can be difficult to get a real good variety of decent food on a college campus. egg yolks are probably your best bet for getting in micronutrients. you don't usually see organ meats, stuff from the ocean, or multi-colored fruits and vegetables there; it's just too much variety for that many people.
    a multi might be a good idea, but not the one you're taking. that one has probably never been much help; you're likely crapping most of it out. look for something food based, that can't be found in a regular store. i get rainbow light multi for men cheap on amazon.

Lanie is offline Junior Member
    Thank you all!! I really appreciate the replies and will look into it.

Jazz555 is offline Junior Member
    I like this post.Thanx for sharing.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Mark has this to say, but take it with a grain of salt:

Grok Didn’t Take Supplements So Why Should I? | Mark's Daily Apple