Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cortisol Plateau page

oxide is offline Senior Member

Cortisol Plateau

Primal Fuel
    What do you do if your weight loss stops at a plateau? You still have about 17-18 pounds to lose. You switch up the diet, adjust the weight lifting exercises to be more primal, sprint like a mofo, and it still doesn't work. Then you look at yourself and realize you've been under an awful lot of stress lately, and you know that cortisol blocks weight loss. Your life is too busy take on a new activity like a yoga class. How do you break a cortisol-driven plateau?
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    What do you do if your weight loss stops at a plateau? You still have about 17-18 pounds to lose. You switch up the diet, adjust the weight lifting exercises to be more primal, sprint like a mofo, and it still doesn't work. Then you look at yourself and realize you've been under an awful lot of stress lately, and you know that cortisol blocks weight loss. Your life is too busy take on a new activity like a yoga class. How do you break a cortisol-driven plateau?
    If its truly an emotionally triggered response to your work load or other mental stressors then I believe you really gotta take a look at how your approaching these situations. Not all of them have to be stressful. You get to make the ultimate decision on how you will allow external forces effect you.

Family member dies.....nothing doing, your gonna be stressed, but if your talking about some internal dialogue issues then those can be remedied. Also it only takes 5 minutes of deep breathing exercise and "meditation" to make some really positive physiological changes....do this several times a day if need be. Seriously if you can't find 5 minutes 3 times a day then you need to rethink your life choices . That last part was kinda a joke, not a harsh comment. I felt the need to state that since sometimes things don't come across well enough on the interwebs.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I prescribe a trip to Paris or Fiji.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    I wish I knew - let me know if you figure it out without resorting to meds - I'm just hoping LO starts sleeping better soon, that will lower my stress levels massively. I am in pretty much the same boat, family stuff and not sleeping enough due to kids (1 or 2 hours a night less than ideal dosn't sound too bad, untill it's been months and months and there is more than a few nights with less than 4 hours sleep throw in too) with the same sort of last bit of weight to lose. I'm just concentating on eating straight primal, excersising to the shedual I have set myself and what will be will be.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Eat a pint of ice cream and trip on acid

And do so with loved ones. Stop stressing about diets, weight loss, etc and just be happy.

Happiness and Weight Loss – 180 Degree Health

Check that out, it's pretty nice personal perspective on it.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Well I don't really have the 12 hours it needs to drop a trip, got kids to look after, and the lack of sleep induced by the acid is only going to compound the problem

I'm all for eating a pint of cream though - can I have coffe in it?
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    If you've recently upped your exercise, you may be doing too much to the point of causing some excess cortisol. Maybe it's time to lay off for a week or two and stick to long walks.

I've not not upped it that much really, and the plateau has been a much longer term thing. It's something I get a lot out of, both learning new ways to get fit, actually doing the stuff, esp bike rides, and the sence of achivement of doing something good too.

If I've not dropped more bady fat by the end of Feb then I'll look again at what I'm eating, but to be honest I kinda don't give a crap, I'd rather not stress right now as I'm enjoying just eat primal food till full when hungry, and if that means not losing fat; so be it.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I was referring to Oxide who mentions increasing lifting intensity, "sprinting like a mofo", and how it's not working. That says to me that someone might be pushing themselves TOO hard and may need to step back for a moment and take some time to rest.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    [...] and you know that cortisol blocks weight loss.
    The Ebensee concentration camp prisoners disagree. But maybe they weren't under a lot of stress. What do I know?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast