Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cortisol Plateau page 2

oxide is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The subject in question (not me) has tried to increase workout efficiency while decreasing workout time, and has added sprints. In other words, exercised more primally. I too have suggested working out less. But it's a bad stress and is likely not going to go away soon. Yes there are steps to change the situation, but they are painful long-term steps no way around it. It just doesn't seem right (or fair) that humans are stuck with weight that they can't really do much about.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    ^Sorry to hear. If time was less of an issue I might recommend the low and slow exercise approach over a high intensity one when one is already stressed. High intensity stuff is great when you're in a decent state mentally and physically, but it IS stressful in its own right. Low and slow out in nature would be far more restorative when your already battling other stressors.

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    How about just taking a week off exercising?

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    It almost certainly isn't a cortisol plateau. It is almost certainly a calorie driven plateau. In that case, the only way to break through that plateau is to reduce calorie intake or increase calorie expenditure. Lifting weights and sprinting do almost nothing for calorie burn, they are only good for improving body composition through hypertrophy and a slightly better hormone profile. They can help ensure that if you gain weight you put on a greater percentage of muscle versus fat, and if you're losing weight they'll help you lose a greater percentage of fat than lean mass, but they do next to nothing for weight loss. What you'll have to do is increase cardio. If you jog, jog faster or longer. If you walk, increase how often you do it.

One of the easiest things you can do is remove some dietary fat. Simply trade in your ribeye for sirloin, cook in a lot less oil and only drink water or calorie free tea and coffee. Don't do things like blend butter in your coffee or add more than a tablespoon or so of cream, and of course, little to no sugar.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 01-24-2013 at 06:38 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    The subject in question (not me) has tried to increase workout efficiency while decreasing workout time, and has added sprints. In other words, exercised more primally. I too have suggested working out less. But it's a bad stress and is likely not going to go away soon. Yes there are steps to change the situation, but they are painful long-term steps no way around it. It just doesn't seem right (or fair) that humans are stuck with weight that they can't really do much about.
    I would suggest you tell this person in question to not compound the stress by worrying about diets, weight loss, and exercise at the moment and focus on getting better first. There are more important things than ideal weights, and it shouldn't be rushed, but rather gradually approached to prevent fall backs.

I second Neckhammer that long scenic walks with music would do wonders for this person's state of mind, and will also benefit them physically.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    Well I don't really have the 12 hours it needs to drop a trip, got kids to look after, and the lack of sleep induced by the acid is only going to compound the problem

I'm all for eating a pint of cream though - can I have coffe in it?
    Sure can. You can even have coffee ice cream if you want. I recommend it.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    They could simply accept it. That is what I've chosen to do. I'm not willing to live a concentration camp life. I am willing to kill myself on squats to have big muscles, though. So that's my choice and I'm actually pretty pleased with it as I see the fat on my body switch to muscle. It's kinda awesome to flex a huge bicep and scare men with it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

oxide is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    I would suggest you tell this person in question to not compound the stress by worrying about diets, weight loss, and exercise at the moment and focus on getting better first. There are more important things than ideal weights, and it shouldn't be rushed, but rather gradually approached to prevent fall backs.

I second Neckhammer that long scenic walks with music would do wonders for this person's state of mind, and will also benefit them physically.
    That's the most sensible thing you've said since you've gotten on the board. I'm starting to think that the weight is simply going to be stuck for a while.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

lucy1984 is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the long walks suggestion, or else can you fit 15min meditation per day into your schedule? And maybe see a naturopath about some adrenal supporting herbs etc?

You need to make stress reduction your priority, over and above exercise. Take it from someone who exercised and dieted their way into adrenal fatigue and hypothyroidism and thyroid resistance.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    They could simply accept it. That is what I've chosen to do. I'm not willing to live a concentration camp life. I am willing to kill myself on squats to have big muscles, though. So that's my choice and I'm actually pretty pleased with it as I see the fat on my body switch to muscle. It's kinda awesome to flex a huge bicep and scare men with it.
    SB, if you're constantly "killing" yourself in the gym on a regular basis you may be pushing yourself too hard and actually stifling your gains. You may think that it's "no pain, no gain," but oddly enough, science has shown repeatedly that sometimes "no pain" is PRECISELY what you need to gain. That's the basis of my recommendation in this thread.

The Deload Week: What It Is, How to Do it, and Why It Might Help You Get Stronger | Mark's Daily Apple

A deload week or two can help muscles regenerate, recoup, recover, and you often times come back even stronger. I made a few PRs myself in the gym a week after I hadn't been once and was struggling with plateauing gains before then. It can also, ironically, be just what some people need to rekick their weightloss into gear for much the same reason.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast