Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bone broth- how many batches? page

DonJulio is offline Junior Member

Bone broth- how many batches?

Primal Fuel
    First post! Go niners!

1. How many "batches" can I get out of the same bones?

2. How long can I store it in the fridge?

I'm going to be drinking it straight up out of a coffee mug- should I take out the fat for a smoother drink?

Thanks!

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJulio View Post
    I'm going to be drinking it straight up out of a coffee mug- should I take out the fat for a smoother drink?
    This is what I've been doing -- the whole bowl and spoon thing for soup always struck me as silly.

Anyhow, I freeze up my stock in an ice cube tray. A few nights a week, I put a couple of cubes in a coffee mug, add a smidge of butter and a little seaweed then pour in some hot water.

Honestly, it took a little getting used to, but I now love it.

And to the more important part, go Niners. I'm a San Franciscan and relish a second championship parade in a matter of months, especially afer all the guff San Francisco takes from the rest of the country. Maybe they should try the Chardonnay.

kbn1 is offline Senior Member
    I only get one batch out of the bones. I've tried to get two, but the second batch was pretty lousy. I think after cooking bones for a day and a half they are pretty much spent. I would use the broth in about 5 days. I pour the broth into 1 quart jars and put some fat on top to kind of seal it when it solidifies. The rest of the fat I use for cooking. Scramble your eggs in that marrow fat.

Lindsay is offline Junior Member
    I've used the same bones to get up to 4 good sized batches. I basically just simmer each pot for atleast 24-48 hours, then strain out the bones and start over again. I keep doing that until the bones are pretty much disintegrated. I usually only do this when I have big bones (leg etc) that aren't broken down as easily. The only exception would be for chicken stock -- I don’t let it go for more than 24 hours since chicken bones are more fragile and after 24 hours there won’t be much left.

I also prefer to break up the bones into as small of pieces as I can, so after 24-48 hours of simmering the bones are almost edible and the broth is rich with minerals and gelatin -- which I think is the best method. After all, wouldn't you prefer to have one absolutely amazing and nutrient dense batch then several lesser ones? A good, concentrated, stock where a great part of the gelatin has been extracted from the bones will be really gelatinous when cold. A longer or very hot simmer may break down the gelatin and your broth won’t appear gelatinous, but that’s OK! The minerals are still there.

For storage, I've found the broth to keep for about a week in the fridge sealed in an air tight container. I prefer to freeze most of it right away and then thaw as needed since it doesn't take much effort to dump it in a pan and warm it up.

I also like to leave the fat in after it has cooked...except maybe for chicken stock where a good portion of the fat is polyunsaturated and oxidizes as it cooks for long hours.

Some tips:
    Brown or roast the bones/meaty bones first for some added flavour and color (25 or 30 minutes at about 375 F)
    After your stock is cooked, cool it quickly to avoid any bacteria multiplying in it
    Add a couple tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with the cold water to help draw out the nutrients from the bones

Hopefully some of that is helpful. You've inspired me to go home and make some for myself now

Enjoy!

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    it can be done.

Perpetual bone broth
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Paleobird Guest
    I've found that the bones are spent when your dog sniffs at them and says, "Meh." How many batches that is depends on the size of the bones, the temperature, etc. I generally get at least three.

The later batches will be lighter but they can always be boiled down to concentrate the flavor more.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Whaaaaaat, I could be getting more than one batch out of the same bones?! Goddammit. I always just give them to my dogs/toss 'em.

GO NINERS.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    Whaaaaaat, I could be getting more than one batch out of the same bones?! Goddammit. I always just give them to my dogs/toss 'em.

GO NINERS.
    I had no idea, either! My pasture-raised bones aren't cheap, either. I hear about people getting them for free... not fair!!

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the suggestion on butter in the broth! Drinking some now with butter, salt, and a little bit of cayenne... yum!

DonJulio is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thx for the replies folks

Anyone know how much nutrition is lost to the long cooking time? Just curious. I'm doing mine In The slow cooker on low

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast