Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting Started with CrossFit page 3

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    Okay, so I went to my intro session/workout today.

I did 500m row, 40 squats, 30 sit ups, 20 knee push ups, 10 jumping pull ups in 8:21.

Not sure where that puts me to start - but I feel like it's not too bad. Is it?
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    That is DEFINITELY not too bad at all!! Well done! The row alone costs a lot of time, so I say anything under 10:00 for that workout is not too shabby for a first-timer. Pay yourself on the back!

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Getting started with Crossfit: Awesome decision. I'm 49 years old, unfit but have a good athletic background. I jumped into crossfit about 5 weeks ago and love it. I've finished every workout, except today's which I really had to modify.

You'll find some of the workouts are geared towards your strengths, and some workouts are more challenging for you. I started in the 'fundamentals' class which moves at a slower pace as they teach you all the lifts properly.

I have excellent coaching with excellent peers and I'm loving it. No one is screaming at me or using the word "F*@*%. I guess it depends on the box you go to. There's a lot of encouragement and comraderie and I honestly just love it. I don't know how I would feel knowing that I can only afford to go for 4 months and then have to quit. If you find the right fit with the right coaching, you are going to regret quitting. Perhaps a family member can supplement you for birthday and christmas gifts or you can pick up a bit of extra work to afford it in the long run (if you enjoy it). You'll just be realizing great benefits and then have to quit -- that would be a shame.

Even after 5 weeks of crossfit, my body is changing week by week. The recomposition is happening quickly and I find it to be amazing. My weight hasn't changed, but I'm eating substantially more carbs (all paleo), and I'm losing inches off my waist, stomach and love handles. My husband even noticed the recomp this morning --- and he generally notices nothing....so good things are happening.

Just enjoy and don't worry too much about 'preparing for it'....just go, have fun and make friends. All the best/Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorAmy View Post
    Okay, so I went to my intro session/workout today.

I did 500m row, 40 squats, 30 sit ups, 20 knee push ups, 10 jumping pull ups in 8:21.

Not sure where that puts me to start - but I feel like it's not too bad. Is it?
    You could coach the programme! well done!
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

I was at my crossfit class this morning and towards the end of my WOD (I was dying), I heard this cheer behind me and I turned around to witness a young lady do her VERY FIRST SERIES of pull ups. The look on her face was PRICELESS and I can't wait to have that experience myself. It was very inspiring to be there and see her accomplish a long held goal. It's nice to share in the success of everyone at your box. Great community! /lu
    F, 48, 5'10"

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I'm in a class with another lady a little older than me who has a son that's come to my story times. We're in about equal shape - which is nice - so we're keeping pace with each other pretty well.

Today we did . . .

Modified Cindy

AMRAP - 10:00min

5 Jumping pullups
    10 Knee pushups
    15 squats

I did 6 rounds plus 2 pull ups (so a total of 32 pullups, 60 pushups and 90 squats) plus the warm up and form stuff we worked on (dead lifts, squats and press) . . . jelly legs I tell you. But I'll get stronger.

I'm looking forward to getting some weight on the bars.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

Cindy's brutal, no matter how you scale it. But it's one of my faves.

<3 Crossfit. It's just a really special community.

I definitely agree that some workouts and exercises will challenge you more than others. I've gotten good at squats, KB swings/ cleans/presses/ what have you, and some of the Olympic lifts. Still unable to do a real pull-up (I jump), or more than a few real push-ups in good form. It is really hard to do a burpee quickly if you need to do knee push-ups I just try to trust the process, and wait for the next "Wait, this isn't as hard as it used to be!" discovery. Also, now that I'm losing weight with PB, there should be less of me to pull/ push up!

Today we finally got to do a push press and deadlifts with some weight and I've got to say the 35 lbs. and 45 lbs. respectively were NOT a challenge for me. I probably could have done 5-10 lbs. more on the press and easily 10-20 lbs. more on the deadlifts . . . maybe even more - they were really not challenging me, even after running 200 m between sets during our WOD. But I'll have a chance soon(ish) to figure out my one rep max and then scale it down appropriately from there for what would be the most challenging in the WODs. This is still a ramp up class after all, so we're focusing on form more than strength at this point.
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Are you sure you were only doing 45lb on the deadlift? If you were using a men's bar, that's just the bar, and if you were using a women's bar, that's with a 5lb plate on either end. I ask not because of it being a low weight, but because generally they at least have you use bumper plates (which start at 10lb) so your start position is correct. Otherwise the bar is too close to the ground, you start the lift way lower, and it's bad for your back.

Also, without knowing you at all, I am 100% certain you can deadlift even more than 20lbs more. Like, a lot more. I'm sure you'll surprise yourself when you do your 1RM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast