Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting Started with CrossFit page 2

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    HRPUs - Hand-release pushups: instead of lowering chest to floor and pushing back up, chest and thighs rest completely on the floor and your hands come off the floor for a second before pushing back up to a plank. Oddly difficult, and usually used in WODs with very high reps of pushups.

1RM - One-rep max. A lot of workouts will be "find your 1RM" in a certain lift, and basically you build up working sets until you attempt one rep of your max weight. When you first start, this might be tough to judge. I still have trouble judging weight and will often complete a 1RM attempt too easily, so I add weight and do another, and keep going until I actually fail a lift; the attempt before the fail is therefore my 1RM.

MUs - Muscle-ups.

Those guys are beasts. People usually kip these.

Kipping - Refers to using momentum and a big hip drive to power yourself into a pullup, muscleup, handstand pushup, etc. Used to do lots of reps at max effort.

Power clean, power snatch - Instead of landing the lift in the squatted receiving position, you land in a quarter-squat.

Hang clean, hang snatch - You begin the lift in the hang position, holding the bar at the knees with the hips back, instead of beginning with the bar on the ground.

Push jerk - Feet stay on the same line as you receive the bar.

Split jerk - Feet jump into a low lunge as you receive the bar.

Rack position - Neutral or "rest" position where you're holding the bar on the front of your shoulders with elbows up to form a rack; the hands are just stabilizing the bar with the fingertips. This is where you receive a clean and where you do front squats.

Thruster - With the bar in rack position, do a front squat; when coming out of the squat, explosively drive up with your hips and push the bar over head into a press.
    Last edited by heatseeker; 01-25-2013 at 10:53 AM.

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member
    Thruster - movement that will make you want to throw up. lol
    ~All luck is earned in the end.~

Preach. Thrusters suck. Fran is the only workout I am actually afraid to do because I know how much it will hurt.

Violette_R is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorAmy View Post
    aComing from a profession that's very jargon heavy, I know it can be intimidating to outsiders (OPACs, MARC, ALSC, etc. etc.) . . .

Hi there, cataloger!

Charley is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaserBD04 View Post
    This made me laugh. As I just did Fran and DT hero WOD all in one workout...I only almost puked...

On another note...we were all intimidated at the beginning. I am in 1 year and half...and the kids in the box keep me motivated. Oh, I am 52 years old and doing work

OutdoorAmy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Violette_R View Post
    Hi there, cataloger!
    Hi back! Yeah for primal librarians!

. . . .

Thanks for all this great info, everyone! Another follow up for ya - how many days per week do you do Crossfit? Did you do more at the beginning or do you do more now that you're into it? What do you do on your days off?
    Healthy Bucket List:
    • Summit all of Colorado's 14-ers
    • Hike the Appalachian Trail
    • Do a real pull-up
    • Run a 5k
    • Be "Hot For Training Camp"

Check out my journey at Outdoor Amy's Blog.

I started at 3x/wk, and now do 5x/wk. On days off I do yoga, walk my dogs, and just rest.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaserBD04 View Post
    OMG Yes!!

. . . .

Thanks for all this great info, everyone! Another follow up for ya - how many days per week do you do Crossfit? Did you do more at the beginning or do you do more now that you're into it? What do you do on your days off?
    to start with I did 2-3 times a week (2 sessions/5 were strength/skills, and the other days had WODs too.
    I did 5 days a week for a few months, and didn't listen to my body and rest when I should have, and ended up with a couple of different injuries. Then ignored them for a while, so don't do that. Def listen if your body asks for a rest. I just loved it so much, and didn't want to stop. I always pushed myself to my max when I went there.

Violette_R is offline Senior Member
    He recently retired, but the systems librarian at my work is Paleo, too. We're everywhere!

ChaserBD04 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    +1 for everyone saying they started at 2 or 3 times per week. That's what I did as well and I only added days when I stopped being sore more and more quickly (faster recovery). I try to get five days a week in, although because of winter snowboarding, this has turned into four days a week so I can recover.
    ~All luck is earned in the end.~

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast