Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Diane's (sbhikes) PB fitness log page 8

Incindiary is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    First time reading your journal, and I was enjoying it until I read that you hurt your back! That sucks! Hopefully, it's not too serious! I used to work as a Horse Hoof Trimmer, which requires a lot of bending over, and sometimes some serious horse wrasslin'. It can do a number on the lower back. I never hurt it to the extent where I felt compelled to seek medical attention, but I would have a few days where it hurt to move. No permanent damage done, though. Maybe you'll be as lucky?

I'm doing my first ever Cross Fit Ramp Up tomorrow, and am a little anxious about the weighty stuff. I've done plenty of machine weights, but never a lot of free weights. And definitely not those big ass barbell things. I'm going to wear my Big Girl Panties though, and go in with courage and an open mind. And I'm also a fellow Old Lady (44).

I really, really do hope your back injury is just a temporary one!
    Last edited by Incindiary; 03-01-2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Typo

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Well, I consider myself fairly tough. I've never broken anything. I've never hurt my lower back before even though it's a common injury. I'm pretty flexible, like possibly too flexible. I might have hyperextended my back during the squat when I lost balance and tried to recover by thrusting my hips back (I was falling forward and then I started falling sideways but I recovered) or it might have been on the deadlift when I actually felt the pain sharply.

It seems to me that a person ought to build strength in the lower back so these things won't happen.

I'll look for that sodium ascorbate stuff. My skin is probably too far gone from age, fair skin and So Cal sun (with my refusal to use sunscreen.) My parrot pulled off one of those pre-cancerous lesions on my face last night, bless her little heart. She knew it didn't belong there.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Bench: 75lbs, 5 sets of 3 (one of those was a set of 4). This felt great.
    Seated DB Press: 3 sets of 5 with 20lb dumbbells. Trying this out as a substitute if my back still hurts next week. I kinda like it better than barbell press, actually.

I did bench today because I want to switch the days I do bench so I can do it on the day I do deadlift.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    It seems to me that a person ought to build strength in the lower back so these things won't happen.
    ITA that is why i always stop just short of the pain. i do get stronger and my weights go up still. just slowly LOL i also got myself some clubbells to help strengthen my rotator cuff to stop that happening again. you can do a barbarian squat with them which i reckon would strengthen the back pretty good.

the SA stuff i meant more for helping with cartilage and connective tissue injury healing. not necessarily for wrinkles. i just took it for wrinkles and it fixed my other issues at the same time which was good.

I would take it for wrinkles! I'm too young to be so wrinkly!

I hiked today. 11 miles, not too much. As the morning went on and I climbed 3000' the pain slowly got a lot better until I could hardly tell that anything was wrong. There is hope that this isn't so bad.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Well, I finally did it. I fucked myself up lifting weights. I think this is going to take a while to heal from. My very lowest part of my back and my butt. I've never hurt my lower back before. It sounds from what other people say, you never recover from it. I hope that is not true.
    oh no
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

I think I'll be fine. Here's what I did as a sort of therapeutic workout.
    Squat
    45 x 25
    55 x 25
    65 x 25

Overhead press (fixed barbell)
    25 x 25

DB Press
    15 x 8
    20 x 8, 8, 8

RDL
    65 x 8, 8, 8

Sprints x 6

Today I did:
    Squat
    45 x 25
    65 x 25
    75 x 20 Pooped out on the last 5. I should have just done them, but my lower back was starting to hurt.

Bench
    75 x 5, 5, 3 I could have gotten the last 2 if I had taken a longer rest. They were kicking everybody out for a class.

These 25 rep squats kick my butt. I think maybe they are better than the heavy ones. I'm enjoying my recuperation and just doing whatever.

I did some more high rep squats. Tried with a dumbbell on one set. That works pretty well, but it is had to hold a dumbbell equaly as heavy as a barbell, so dumbbell squats end up being very light. I also looked up reverse hyperextensions and did a few of those on a stability ball. Those seem pretty therapeutic.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i asked my personal trainer today about your back injury and what he would do to work around it. he said to rest the area till it feels a bit better. then go into what he calls supermans which are pretty much reverse hyperextensions on a stability ball to get the feel of it again. and when it is better, do some body weight squats. i found a book today called the anatomy of strength training which is very exciting. i looked it up on line and there is even a women's one. i am deciding whether to get the women's one as it doesnt do arms or chest or to get the one that is unisex.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast