Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Diane's (sbhikes) PB fitness log page 12

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    As part of my Crossfit training, I also do Olympic lifting (clean & jerk, snatches) and powerlifting (deadlifts). I've Crossfitted for 3 years now. I've found that although I still do occasionally "PR" a certain lift or improve my time and/or reps on a workout, there is a limit to the pace of my improvement. I'm a month away from 56, female, and small, so I have age and size as limiting factors.

I always strive to do the best I can, but I also realize that there are upper limits to what anyone can do. Even an extremely fit young male has an upper limit to the degree of fitness he can achieve.

At a certain point for me, it became a choice of getting disappointed at my performance (slowing rate of progress), or accepting that I'm doing the best I can with the time I'm willing to devote to it. I still do my best, but accepting that I have limitations has made my attitude toward my workouts more positive. A good portion of what I like about my fitness routine is the commeraderie I have with the others I work out with--encouraging them, getting encouragement, and sharing their excitement at progress. And of course the physical and mental postives I get for myself, even if I'm not PRing every month!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You have a good attitude about it, Goldie. I should have the same.

I went to a chiropractor today. I have never been to one before. It didn't hurt and it wasn't as woo as I thought it would be. The doctor also is a competitive powerlifter and owns a gym so I figured if anyone would understand or have insight into what I did to myself and how I can undo it it would be him. He told me that I probably let the weight get out in front of myself and strained the ligaments in my lower back. Also I have weak glutes and really tight hamstrings. He gave me some stretching exercises to do and told me to use a foam roller. He said he could also look at my lifting form and help me with that, but I shouldn't lift for at least a week, except upper body is okay.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Cryptocode is offline Senior Member
    Hi sbhikes, I wanted to comment on your 'found the hole in the fence' idea but am now rather shy of troll responses. I think you have a 'gift' for reality that few have.

I hadn't thought of this before. Living in large cities we rarely even have the opportunity to experience reality. Everything is mediated through third parties (fourth, fifth, etc.). Information from news people, media, internet, newspapers, magazines, commercials, billboards, etc., we are continually bombarded with it. We no longer even expose ourselves to reality, we create an internal third person to deal with other cars on streets, highways, smog, blinking lights, machines; endlessly. On a walk in the woods I would probably respond to reality by creating an internal third person, after long 'conditioning'.

I see a cougar jump towards me. I stand there and think of the power of his hind legs, the beauty of his spring, etc. Like a camera interpreting reality. How do you do it, make the jump into real reality?

I'll tell you, if you take a long walk in the wilderness when you come back to all that media blaring so many lies at you, you will scream in outrage and talk back to it in exasperation until you finally succumb to it once again just like everybody else. But that culture shock at first is mind-blowing!

Sad thing is that both places are reality. Life on a long trail shows you how little you need to be happy. Yet you are like an astronaut with all your stuff on your back and still tethered to your factory food and your plastic bags and money. Not to mention you are tethered pretty strongly to summer. So you have to come back to this stupid world, but it's so damn expensive and it's all set up to keep you trapped in it by making you buy lots of stuff you don't need. You numb over and pretty soon you've slept-walked through another decade of playing its silly games.

If a cougar was seen anywhere near me only two thoughts would run through my head. Ohshitohshitohshitohshit what do I do now? and Where's my camera? Last time I saw one I hiked for 3 miles with my trekking poles sticking out behind my back so that if he was lurking behind me it would be hard for him to pounce on me and bite my skull. Very scary.

---

Today's workout:
    My stretching exercises from my chiro, plus,
    Bench: 72.5 x 3, 5, 5 (The 3 was me trying to use this one bench that I'm just too small to use.)
    OHP: 51 x 5, 4, 5 (Not enough rest on the 2nd set)

I will do these again next time, try for more reps.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    You might be interested in looking at Wendler's 531 program. It's less about the must.lift.more and only increase lifts once a month. I enjoy how each week is a different amount of weight and reps.

I did look at it. Man it is so complicated! I will have to buy the book to make any sense of it.

Yesterday I just did some upper-body stuff. DB Rows, Assisted pullup machine and lat pulls. My biceps are killing me today.

The Chiro asked me what made me decide to try weight lifting and I told him about not being able to get strong doing a core fitness exercise class so figured this might work. He said I have a weightlifter's body, then hurriedly tried to say he didn't mean it in a bad way like maybe I'd be offended. I told him no, that's okay, I know what you mean because I have heard it before from other people. I'm not that strong though, but maybe someday I will be.

I took a pic today. I am not thinner than the little one in my avatar, but I am shaped better. The only way I could see this was side view. I do not have side views from before. Anyway, lifting weights has given me slightly visible muscles on my belly and overall I think there is just better shape to me even if I am not actually smaller. I have no idea what I weigh.

diene is offline Senior Member
    You look good.

tomi is offline Senior Member
    Hey

Just wanted to pop in and say hi. You're doing great on the weights! and the profile pic is impressive!!

I thought I would share with you that hubby I went on a 6 mile hike yesterday at Silver Falls State Park. I thought of you while we were trekking through the woods. Here's a picture of one of the falls.

005.jpg
    Read post #2626
    my motivation

Weight goals:
    Highest weight: 216
    Current weight: 189 (7-16-14)
    Goal weight: 140

DCarr10760 is offline Senior Member
    You do look good, nice shape and quite fit! I've been battling with core exercises for a couple of months now. I'm surprised at how weak I was in terms of core strength. I've always been a "big strong guy" but not so now! Fortunately with some work, I am making solid progress now.

I hired a personal trainer, since I was clueless about how to proceed and needed both motivation and instruction. Best investment I have ever made.
    Height: 5' 10"
    Starting Weight: 292
    Starting Primal Weight: 275
    Current weight: 230
    Goal weight: 172
    Body Fat 27.5

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast