Thread: Diane's (sbhikes) PB fitness log page 11

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Squats:
    85 x 5, 5 (then woke up and remembered my plan) 10, 10, 10

Bench:
    77.5 x 3, 2
    75 x 2, 3, 2 I'm very stuck
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Forgot to mention I did some overhead press yesterday. Just 25lbs, 35lbs, 45lbs. Not a lot of reps. Was not challenging but did hurt my back a little. I wonder if I should even bother with overhead press. It's not like I can actually make any progress on it.

Greensprout is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I wonder if I should even bother with overhead press. It's not like I can actually make any progress on it.
    I'm curious why you think this. From when you started lifting, you made good progress on all lifts, including upper body stuff. Perhaps you're selling yourself short on this thought.

On the overhead press I've pretty much lifted the same amount of weight for several months now with only the slightest amount of progress. And now that I've hurt my back, I've backed off. OHP hurts my back, too.

Today:
    Squat
    90 x 10, 10, 10

Bench
    70 x 5, 5, 5

Deadlift
    115 x 5, 5, 5

Reverse hyperextensions over a big ball
    3 x 15

I did some trail work and backpacking this weekend. I feel pretty tired and sore (and hungry). I'm debating whether to go lift today or just put it off. In fact, I'm debating whether to give up lifting completely. Is there such a thing as lifting heavy for health and does it differ from making constant progress, lifting heavier and heavier?

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Is there such a thing as lifting heavy for health and does it differ from making constant progress, lifting heavier and heavier?
    i never stress about how much i am lifting as i dont really care. i care about how it flows on into my other activities i like doing. so provided i can, for example, pull myself out of the sea only by my arms as i have not foot hold when i am out diving, i am not concerned about how much weight i can bench. kinda like it is how your clothes fit not the number that is on the scale. i also tend to mix it up heaps at the gym so as i am not forever doing the same exercises which makes it more interesting and more challenging. i always lift "heavy" tho.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Is there such a thing as lifting heavy for health and does it differ from making constant progress, lifting heavier and heavier?
    I wonder this a little myself. But I'm enjoying the lifting and increasing my weights. You've said that the lifting is helping to make hiking easier. Once you get your back sorted out, I think continuing to lift could help you fend off future injuries and continue to make hiking easier.

I went in to lift my reduced weights today. I'm glad I did. Even though I feel really bummed out about hurting myself, I can still lift something. Something has to be better than nothing, right?

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Something has to be better than nothing, right?
    hell yeah! i am going to start incorporating more bodyweight works outs and stretching at home to gain strength and keep total range of motion.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I went in to lift my reduced weights today. I'm glad I did. Even though I feel really bummed out about hurting myself, I can still lift something. Something has to be better than nothing, right?
    Definitely. And often, once you are fully healed from a muscle injury, you end up stronger than before.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast