Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Severe knotts in shoulders and back, any suggestions? page

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member

Severe knotts in shoulders and back, any suggestions?

Primal Fuel
    I've been getting knotts in my shoulders, back and neck pretty consistently for about 4 years now, which is pretty much how long I've been working out. Essentially, If I do back workout, I get them, and the more I do them, the worse they get. Also, if I am traveling for a long time (cooped up in car or plane) I will get them. They are pretty excruciating, and I can hear about 20 pops when I roll my shoulders, which can't be natural.

I've tried using a lacrosse ball on the floor and have produced nothing but pain so far.
    I drink enough water before workouts.
    I have pretty good posture.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I am really at a loss. Does anyone else experience this?

Thanks in advance.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I've had moderate to severe upper back and shoulder pain for most of my life. Luckily for me, my pain is not really treatable except by prescription opiates or muscle relaxants (which I try not to take unless the pain becomes unbearable), but there are some things that can be done to lessen the severity. It all depends on exactly where your pain is and what the cause is. I recommend:

1) Go to a chiropractor who specializes in ART (Active Release Technique). They have specialized training that in my experience makes them significantly more capable of dealing with this kind of issue.

2) You might also want to try a foam roller. I use mine about 5 times a day, and I notice a difference. It's not painful at all, but I can't get it to reach high enough on my back to where I need it the most. Mark recommended the Rumble Roller, but since it was kind of pricey, I got a cheaper one that works great (just make sure it's extra firm/high density). They even make them in smaller sizes so that they fit in carry-on luggage, so you can travel easily with them.

3) I started doing Power Yoga in a heated room (90 degrees) and while it hasn't gotten rid of my pain entirely, is has made a noticeable improvement. I highly recommend trying yoga if you haven't already.

4) I've found that hot baths can sometimes help alleviate some of the pain.
    Last edited by BestBetter; 01-23-2013 at 06:57 AM.

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    I can think of a couple things worth looking into....
    1 could be your backs out of alinement & the exercises your doing are aggravating the issue. Chiropractor would be my first stop.
    2 what do you do for a living? It may not the exercise thats actually causing the problem if your spending a lot of time leaning or hunched over creating tension/tight muscles. might be helpful to get deep tissue massage and/or do more stretching. re-asses your work situation.
    3 Possible mineral deficiency?. I get cramps in my calves sometimes, rubbing magnesium oil on regularly sorts it (you can also take magnesium orally, but I prefer the oil)
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

14emom is offline Member
    I agree with the foam roller idea, it works great.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Everything bestbetter said....

also, the lacrosse ball is supposed to hurt, that's how you know you've found an area to work on. Have you ever worked a painful spot until the pain went away? that's how you undo the knots.

AFTER consulting/visiting an expert, ask them about the rumble roller RumbleRoller Home it's a foam roller but for more serious deep massage, the kind you seem to desperately need. I don't use mine enough but I do feel awesome when I do... not during, but definitely after. Good luck!
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have this thing called a Ma Roller. It's a wooden thing that looks like a table leg. You lie on it and slowly move the roller down (or your body up) so that the pressure moves alongside your spine. It hurts like heck but afterward there is this state of bliss and the knots are gone.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    +1000 on the chiropractor.

they also make these accupuncture mats now...you basically lie down on them and sort of focus or meditate. it's not going to fix the overall problem (like a chiropractor will), but it has helped me when i have issues like these.

also, when you exercise, what are you doing? i doubt it's really a cause or a solution, but it could be a contributing factor to both.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    When I studied massage a few years ago the people on my course consistently told me that I had one of the most tense backs they had ever encountered..!

I spent a few years religiously doing massage swaps, but in all honesty it was only ever a temporary alleviation. There's a root cause - and it's often postural.

In my case the tense shoulders are caused by a slight curve in my lower spine - this has a knock on effect up the spine. I went to an osteopath, but it didn't help much. The best thing for me has definitely been Yoga because you learn how to consciously realign your body by moving. I think Tai Chi or Pilates might be even better.

I also do this thing called Rolfing, which is basically a form of touch therapy that realigns your body, and I find that brilliant.

My shoulders aren't half so tight any more, but if I fall out of my Yoga practice they stiffen up in a few weeks.

Oh, and you might also want to look at whether you're consuming a lot of inflammatory foods. These definitely impact on my shoulders!
    Last edited by YogaBare; 01-23-2013 at 08:16 AM.
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I've always just called it normal. Massive, dense lumps in my neck and back muscle that take weeks to soften out and come back as soon as I forget to work on them. Pretty sure being alive is supposed to suck. Pain will cease when we die.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    2) You might also want to try a foam roller. I use mine about 5 times a day, and I notice a difference. It's not painful at all, but I can't get it to reach high enough on my back to where I need it the most. Mark recommended the Rumble Roller, but since it was kind of pricey, I got a cheaper one that works great (just make sure it's extra firm/high density). They even make them in smaller sizes so that they fit in carry-on luggage, so you can travel easily with them.
    Have you ever tried lacrosse balls?

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I've always just called it normal. Massive, dense lumps in my neck and back muscle that take weeks to soften out and come back as soon as I forget to work on them. Pretty sure being alive is supposed to suck. Pain will cease when we die.
    lol! yeah, I guess you just pick and choose your pains and focus on alleviating the ones that hurt the most to you. >_<

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast