Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Severe knotts in shoulders and back, any suggestions? page 2

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    My shoulders have loosened up a ton doing DDP Yoga. It's a combination of yoga, calisthenics, and rehab moves.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    This is my two cents.

1.) Most treatments are all "after the fact" - cold packs, hot packs, massage, chiro, acupuncture, cranio-sacral, pain meds can all help treat the symptoms of pain and tightness.

2.) Ingest more bone broth and increase mineral intake to improve electrolyte profile. Muscle contraction and relaxation requires proper electrolyte and ion concentration gradient balance. Usually magnesium and potassium help with relaxation.

I would also be careful of being overly hydrated....too much hydration can leech minerals out of the body. Instead of drinking fluids before working out, maybe better to rehydrate after workouts.

Coop12oz is offline Junior Member
    I get the same thing from working on a computer all day, with arms outstretched. Also from driving. My massage therapist told me this happens because the muscles in your chest shorten up due to having your arms outstretched all the time, which then pulls your shoulders forward. Then the muscles in your back are constantly working to pull your shoulders back to their proper place. All day long when i get up i will do a doorway stretch to try to stretch the muscle in my chest and pull my shoulders back. The only thing that really works for me though is regular massages.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Have you ever tried lacrosse balls?
    I haven't...I'll look into it, thanks!

For whatever reason, my pain doesn't go away with physical manipulation (I even tried an hour of deep tissue massage which was really intense but didn't make much of a difference.) The only thing that 100% works is a heavy dose of Soma...now that's good stuff!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I haven't...I'll look into it, thanks!
    You're welcome! They've worked way better for me than any foam roller or masseuse I've ever used XD

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all the input, what great responses!
    I'm definitely trying to get more bone broth into my diet, and I'm resolved to get some magnesium supplements and potassium laden foods.
    I'm going to look into a chiropractor, which may solve a root problem that I've had for years, I hope I can afford it!
    I practice yoga pretty regularly, but obviously not enough. Maybe I'll start focusing on more spinal balances.
    I'll keep up the work with the lacrosse ball, and will certainly be looking into getting a rumble roller, perhaps a used one will be more affordable.

All these tips are great, thanks again. I'll post if I find anything that gives relief.

Here's a quick update:
    I've now had my first two Chiropractic visits, and the xrays revealed that my neck is curving in the wrong direction, my right hip is 10 mm high, and my pelvis is twisted 16mm to the left. Sounds like we've nailed down the problem folks, I start a program on tuesday to fix it, thus far I've just had a bunch of neck and back cracks, I'm interested to see what he does to correct it all. I'll keep posting about the progress.

P.S. I've purchased some good looking magnesium supplements and scheduled a massage. I'll give the knots a double-whammy, first I'll treat the symptoms, then I'll treat the cause. Things are looking up already!

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    Tennis or lacrosse ball, book on Trigger Point therapy, or browse the web for your issue. Also, consider referred pain with trigger points, some refer, some don't.

Try this before splashing out cash on professionals, you can't really damage yourself with trigger point work as long as you keep away from arteries

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    I have had the issue issues for years. I'm tall and I take all my stress in the neck, upper back and shoulders. There were some mornings that I would wake up and literally could not move my head. There would be a golf-ball size knot sticking up just north of a shoulder blade -- it was brutal.

I have gone for Active Release Therapy with a very qualified massage therapist + used the services of a chiropractor + roll with a styrofoam roller BUT by far, the best treatment for me has been this: The Water Pillow. I have been using mine for about 3 years now and my neck and back problems have virtually disappeared. I love my pillow so much that I drain it and take it with me if I'm away for extended periods of time in a hotel etc. I've recommended this pillow to many friends who also suffer from stiff/sore necks. The link is below: they are not expensive and it's worth giving a try.

Chiroflow - Filling Instructions

/Lu
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

PrimalCon New York
    Thanks Louisa, I'll definitely take a look into it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast