Thread: The world is waking up... page

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member

The world is waking up...

Primal Fuel
    What Coke's Advertising Means

2. STAND FIRM, AND DEMAND MORE.

All calories count, says Coke’s commercial. And everyone has to think about both calories consumed and calories burned. These statements are true, and personal responsibility is a reality that consumers must embrace to combat obesity and other issues. But science tells us that not all calories are created equal. Likewise, social science has shown that some consumers--particularly children and people living in food deserts--cannot rescue themselves from lack of knowledge, poor nutrition, and simple overconsumption.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    I saw a blurb on TV with a picture of a sushi roll and a Big Mac. Caption said, 'which is better for weightloss?' Then the answer pops up, 'Actually the Big Mac may be a better choice because it contains 100 fewer calories"

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    I think one of my brain cells just died, Otzi. Also, that must have been one HELL of a sushi roll. Sushi cudgel. Grok would approve I think.

I haven't seen this new Coke takes on obesity thing, though I am aware of it. Speaking of which, I was introduced to this article yesterday:

This is the End of the Soft Drink Era

It's not written well, unfortunately, but it did introduce me to the fact(oid?) that 1L of soda requires 6L of water in it's creation. I doubt soda's going anywhere - anyone familiar with the lack of care for the alcohol's industry impact is bound to agree - but I wouldn't shed a tear if the price on those things shot up. Soda's derivatives (principally energy drinks) are also part of the problem.

M.

otzi Guest
    and have you all noticed McDonald's now has the calories of everything posted at the cash register...so you can make McHealthy choices!

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    They can't rescue themselves? Won't is more like it.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    and have you all noticed McDonald's now has the calories of everything posted at the cash register...so you can make McHealthy choices!
    It may not be McDonald's, but the county you live in.
    And Coke doesn't care about nutrition. They now make incredible profits selling Coke in those smaller cans for a higher price per ounce. Or selling Diet Coke. Or selling Coke in international countries. They're fine.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    The whole "cannot rescue themselves" is a bit more understandable from the addiction point of view, but it's interesting how biased even we are towards fat people in our thoughts and words.

There was just a headline today about overweight people not getting the chance to be CEO or something, due to discrimination. I didn't read it, though.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    The Coca Cola company isn't merely Coke and Diet Coke. It's a multibillion dollar company.

A short Description from Yahoo finance: KO Profile | Coca-Cola Company (The) Common Stock - Yahoo! Finance

Business Summary

The Coca-Cola Company, a beverage company, engages in the manufacture, marketing, and sale of nonalcoholic beverages worldwide. The company primarily offers sparkling beverages and still beverages. Its sparkling beverages include nonalcoholic ready-to-drink beverages with carbonation, such as carbonated energy drinks, and carbonated waters and flavored waters. The company’s still beverages comprise nonalcoholic beverages without carbonation, such as noncarbonated waters, flavored waters and enhanced waters, noncarbonated energy drinks, juices and juice drinks, ready-to-drink teas and coffees, and sports drinks. It also provides flavoring ingredients, sweeteners, powders for purified water products, beverage ingredients, and fountain syrups. The Coca-Cola Company sells its products primarily under the Diet Coke, Fanta, Sprite, Coca-Cola Zero, vitaminwater, Powerade, Minute Maid, Simply, Georgia, and Del Valle brand names. The company offers its beverage products through company-owned or controlled bottling and distribution operators, as well as through independently owned bottling partners, distributors, wholesalers, and retailers. The Coca-Cola Company was founded in 1886 and is headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia.
    For a brief overview of their financial health: KO Key Statistics | Coca-Cola Company (The) Common Stock - Yahoo! Finance

They're not going anywhere soon.

Note: Yahoo Finance sometimes has small errors, but you can find correct data at the Coca Cola website, usually under something like "Investor Information."

As an aside, I don't much care about things like soda, alcohol, etc. - everyone should be allowed to pick their own poisons. To me, the more important issues are things that are perceived as healthy (like strawberries for eg.), but have dangerous levels of pesticides or hormones in them.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 01-23-2013 at 09:28 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I saw a blurb on TV with a picture of a sushi roll and a Big Mac. Caption said, 'which is better for weightloss?' Then the answer pops up, 'Actually the Big Mac may be a better choice because it contains 100 fewer calories"
    This just arrived in the mail for me yesterday!

Amazon.com: Sushezi Sushi Made Easy: Kitchen & Dining

I can't wait to test it out.

I also picked up one of these.

Amazon.com: Nordic Ware 365 Indoor/Outdoor Kettle Smoker: Home & Kitchen

Home smoked salmon anyone?

I haven't purchased a Big Mac maker yet, though. I guess I'll take my chances with the sushi, even if it makes me fatter than eating Big Macs
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Wait a second. I can haz both?!

Big Mac Sushi

Big Mac Sushi

Ingredients:

Ground beef
    White onion
    Dill pickles
    Iceberg Lettuce
    Fat-free American cheese
    Fat-free Thousand Island dressing
    Sushi rice
    Nori
    Sesame seeds

I think I just threw up in my mouth.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.