Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gassiness drove hubby out of bed!! page

marthat is offline Senior Member

Gassiness drove hubby out of bed!!

Primal Fuel
    I've not been doing very well at avoiding grains in the last month or so. In fact, I've not really avoided them at all. I've even made a couple of pasta based meals and ate them, plus bread, crackers, cookies and Stollen (German Christmas bread). Yesterday I started into a head cold, my first in several years. So, congested and miserable, I took some cold medication and slept flat on my back with extra pillows to try and breath clearly enough for sleep. I slept the deep sleep of the drugged until 4:30 a.m., when I woke to notice that hubby was not in the bed. Normal enough - he often gets up to check emails from his business dealings with China in the middle of the night.

But when I came downstairs this morning, he told me that he had slept in the basement because I was "too stinky" - his exact words. Said I was farting all night! I had figured he had fled because I might have been snoring because of the congestion, but this!!

So, that's the last straw. I'm swearing off of all gluten grains from this point onwards. I've always known that they caused me gas problems, but I've never driven poor hubby out of bed before. So I'm turning over a new leaf this morning. Only rice, potatoes and whatever paleo baking I get up to.

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Ha, my wife just said the other day: "ya know, you don't fart anymore."

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    If you ever needed a prod from outside yourself to ditch the gluten grains, this would be it, I think.

Many moons ago, when I was a little Crabblet, I sucked my thumb mercilessly - I was still going strong in the third grade. Well, one day I got an invite to the next-door friend's birthday sleepover. I told myself that I would not suck my thumb in front of all those little girls. I didn't as I fell asleep... but old habits die hard, and I did throughout the night, and woke with the digit hanging from my lips like a cigarette. Those little witches went on for ages... but I never once did it again. Outside pressure sucks that way.

But I understand - two of my kids react to to those grains in exactly the same way. You would never think that such small butts could produce such huge stink.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    Sadly, I've had the same experience. I used to have horrendous gas, I thought it was a fact of life and routinely carried a purse sized bottle of Febreze with me just in case I accidentally let one fly. Since going Primal, the only times I get gassy are when I have something I shouldn't--grains, legumes, or beer.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Sane here. Went from non-stop gas machine to occasional poot, and even then only if I eat too much cheese!

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    One more tamarind, MATT DAMON
    might be the day I tried the liver - just like you

Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Ditto on going from gas factory (wind farm?) to clean-burning...and trying to convince my brother to ditch the grains, 'cause he STINKY. Now I get occasional gas when I'm under stress or fighting off a cold. Colds don't seem to really get hold, just peer in around the edges until they go away, but while they're hanging around, my digestion can feel compromised. Totally makes sense from a Traditional Chinese Medicine perspective, or any holistic approach that sees energy, sleep, emotions (stress), diet, and exercise as all parts of one holistic system.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I knew that the grains gave me gas. Like you guys, I was a nightly gas-producing dynamo. Hubby used to say "You should see a doctor or something". All goes away when I avoid grains. Maybe the "over-the-top" factor last night was the cold, like Tom B-D said. Surely I was sleeping very deeply, thanks to the cold medicine.

On the up side, the cold has killed my appetite today. I boiled up some eggs for breakfast and snacking, and have not had the least desire to eat anything so far today. An inadvertent IF, I guess.

Paleobird Guest
    The same thing has happened to my dog since switching him to grain free food. No more stinky dog farts.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    ha! I didn't know I was gassy until I wasn't gassy anymore. And that was within the first week of ditching grains. I thought there was a certain level of gas and stink that was "normal" in everybody. I also didn't know that my body was working so hard to purge all the grains I was eating. I thought I was just the opposite of constipated, extremely regular, with extremely efficient and thorough elimination.

Now I know when I eat grains to expect a predictable amount of bloating, gas and intestinal "urgency" the next day.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I used to love steel cut oats but my wife hated it when I ate them. I guess I did too but they were delicious.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast