Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Exercise for Couch Potatoes page

CathyG is offline Junior Member

Exercise for Couch Potatoes

I keep reading about exercise on this blog and it seems that a lot of the discussion talks about ramping DOWN from a high level of exercise. But I am having trouble figuring out how to ramp UP. I am overweight, I have a desk job, and my favorite hobbies are all sedentary (reading, watching TV, computers).

I've committed to walking 30-60 minutes per day, either outside or on a treadmill. That feels like a lot of work to me and I often talk myself out of it (I'm tired; it's raining/hot; my feet hurt). When I read about "quit that chronic cardio" and "those poor gym addicts plodding away to nowhere" I think that applies to me so I feel justified not walking more. 30 minutes of walking feels like chronic cardio to me.

I've tried some of the lifting-heavy things and some of the natural around-the-house/yard exercises, but shoveling hurts my back (both real shoveling and those shovelglove workouts) and I'm afraid to continue. I have the beginnings of arthritis in my knees - I can't squat or lunge. I have some barbells (5-10-12 pounds) but I read about folks lifting 350 pounds and I think that since these aren't really heavy it's not going to do any good. I can't do even one pushup; I've tried wall pushups, but I don't seem to be improving, probably because I am not consistent in working at it. No way I can do any pullups/chinups.

Sprinting for me is a short distance of light jogging. I can't run. If the zombies attack, I am going to be in the first wave of dead people.

I've read the post about exercise for elder apples; I found a forum post from Griff a while ago asking about exercise for really overweight people (I even posted in it!), but I'm still having trouble figuring this out on a daily basis.

So - my request for a topic is this:
    Exercise for those who have every reason why they "can't" exercise:
    - What are the minimum levels for exercise? How much "walking around slowly" is the least we should be doing every day?
    - What are some ideas for exercise given these types of restrictions:
    --very overweight
    --sore feet
    --bad knees
    --list other physical restrictions that other readers might have
    --crummy weather (hot or cold or rainy)
    --bad work schedules
    --self talk to un-motivate yourself

I suspect a lot of my answer is going to be mental instead of physical. But I guess I think that if there was some sort of posted minimum, then I could mentally aim for that and get motivated that way. As it is, I am way too committed to my excuses.

Bird Goddess is offline Senior Member
    CathyG, thanks for posting.
    I have physical limitations from a car accident. I absolutely cannot do the heavy lifting, and probably not the sprints (maybe on a bike, but I'm not there yet). I can use resistance bands (I have a set at home). There are really good and gentle floor exercises for working your core, without doing crunches. Research some pilates exercises. So far, I workout several times a week for 15-30 minutes.

Because you are a newbie, you might want to begin with 15 minute walks. Maybe add a hill or a varied terrain, now and then. Slowly add minutes. Motion is lotion and regular movement, even 15 minutes, say 3-4 times a week really will help you.

Also, there are chair exercises. Please research! This is terrific way to burn some calories, especially if you have problems with your lower extremities.

Remember, exercise has other benefits, like improving your mood. That's a great motivator for me. Also, the energy boost I've gotten from eating Primal makes me want to move.

I've posted almost 40 mantras on the "Before and After Pics" thread on the success stories forum. Something as small as using a mantra can help to drown out the negative self talk. Also, support is huge. Thankfully there is lots of positive support here. A co-worker and I started this program together. We love giving each other tips about what's really good at the health food store, checking in about cheats and exercise. The accountability is nice. If you have a friend, family member or co-worker who is interested in better health, that could be a great source of support.

Get some DVD's to use during bad weather. Maybe you can check some out from your local library, to see what you like. I HIGHLY recommend Chi Gong (also spelled Qi Qong, Qi Kong). These are easy and gentle exercises that work your entire body. These ancient exercises are perfect for those for are recovering from illness/injury, or those, like you, who are just starting out. Emotionally, these exercises also make you feel great. You Tube is another good free source to try out different gentle exercises.

Mark just wrote about dancing. I have a friend who is very morbidly obese and she dances regularly and loves it. This is something free you can do at home. You don't have to jump; you can always keep on foot on the ground. I find a one or two song dance in my work office gives me any energy boost, too!

Also, regarding negative self talk, we all experience this. I just tell myself "it's just lizard brain talking and it never wants me to have fun. I'll show him!" There are all kinds of books and Webpages that discuss this topic. I read everything you can!

Please post again and let us know about any positive changes - no matter how small. Small victories are where it's at! Best to you.

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyG View Post
    I've committed to walking 30-60 minutes per day, either outside or on a treadmill. That feels like a lot of work to me and I often talk myself out of it (I'm tired; it's raining/hot; my feet hurt). When I read about "quit that chronic cardio" and "those poor gym addicts plodding away to nowhere" I think that applies to me so I feel justified not walking more. 30 minutes of walking feels like chronic cardio to me.
    Hi CathyG and thanks for sharing your story. Considering what you wrote I think it is fantastic that you try to walk at least 30 minutes a day. Give your self a challenge, and say to your self that you will continue to walk for at least 30 minutes each day - or even 15. Be it on the treadmill or outside, but do it. Try it for a week. Then another week, and before you know it a month have passed and you're in a lot better shape than you thought you would be. Small steps does it.

Then, if you keep up with the food and the walking I can promise you - hand on heart - you will see results, and when you do, you may want to step up your activities. Until you do, just keep on walkin'. The other stuff can wait until you are ready.

Remember, nothing comes easy, but it will get easier. Grok on!
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Ok, I just got on You Tube. Regarding chair exercises, look for the ones for Seniors. There's some good stuff there.
    Lots of QiQong videos, too (try spelling it that way).

Also, read the success stories on the MDA website for inspiration!

Helen in Oz is offline Senior Member
    I'm very busy - job (work from home) and family, so I've built a lot of activity into my day. Housekeeping - wiping, scrubbing, vacuuming, mopping - can involve a lot of movement if you do it right. I like hanging out the washing and doing stuff in the garden. I often spend a good hour walking along the shops in town, just for the change of scene and exercise. I do grocery shopping for fresh produce often, so carry a basket rather than using a trolley.

I have a WiiFit and that is pretty good, I like the yoga poses and the balance exercises.

The key for me is just to keep moving - all day! If I've been at the computer for more than half an hour, I'll get up and just walk around the house, punching the air. I don't see exercise as something separate that I need to do (though I want to get out and do something, since cutting the carbs I'm feeling so much more energetic) but always keeping in mind that the human body was designed to be in motion.

suzibren is offline Junior Member
    Has anyone ever tried rebounding ( bouncing / jumping ) on a mini-trampoline? I don't think I've seen any posts on this excellent exercise. I bounce gently - my feet don't leave the mat - and this is the best movement for pumping lymphatic fluid throughout the body. Started doing it a few years ago to improve my immune system - there are too many benefits to rebounding to mention here. It's a lot of fun, (why do you think children love jumping on the bed??) It's no more stressful than walking and feels SO good. Check into it and make sure you get a GOOD, STURDY one. That's the key to a long, successful, safe, healthy and enjoyable relationship with my exercise of choice. Be blessed.
    LIFE'S TOO SHORT TO FOLD YOUR UNDERWEAR

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member
    Cathy, If a "routine" doesn't work for you, focus more on daily activities. There are some great examples already in this thread, but I'll throw in some more.

I bought a good pedometer, and I keep track of my steps. I try to get more steps every day. If you're the kind of person who can make a game out of it, it's fun.

One thing that can increase your daily steps is pacing while on the phone. Whenever you're on a phone call at work stand up and pace. Not only will you be moving around a lot more, you'll find that you're more engaged in the conversation. An energy kind of builds as you walk and talk.

I do other things like put the dishes away one at a time. All those little things add up.

Once you have the "moving slow" thing down for a while, you may find that you want to lift heavy things and sprint.

As much as I love Mark and The Primal Blueprint, it does seem to speak more to those who are already in some kind of shape. When he writes about a typical "move slow" session as being 45 minutes on the stationary bike, I kind of laugh. Both because that would probably count as chronic cardio for me because I'm so out of shape that my heart rate would rise significantly, and because it just sounds like torture to me. I think people like us are better off looking for little ways to increase our daily activity. At least at first.

AllBeefPatty, I agree, as written, Mark's program is for people with moderate or better fitness - definately not for gimps or the newbies.

Suzibren, I can only avoid pain by not having much contact with the land. I've wondered about mini-trampolines. Thanks for the input! I'd like more options to chose from. I miss walking distances so much.

suzibren is offline Junior Member

exercise for couch potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Goddess View Post
    AllBeefPatty, I agree, as written, Mark's program is for people with moderate or better fitness - definately not for gimps or the newbies.

Suzibren, I can only avoid pain by not having much contact with the land. I've wondered about mini-trampolines. Thanks for the input! I'd like more options to chose from. I miss walking distances so much.
    Hello Bird Goddess - to address your concern about having contact with the ground.....
    I don't know if I am allowed to mention a brand name (having just registered as a member this morning and am not familiar with all the rules yet) so I won't, but my rebounder is square, has four legs and is really large, sturdy with extra heavy duty springs; not the run-of-the-mill (typical small three-legged round unstable piece of junk) It comes with a handle bar attachment. Standing on it is almost like being weightless because there is hardly any resistance. I am standing on a taut yet giving mat which cushions my every bounce while keeping me in motion and feeling no pain - in fact it exhilarates me. It was expensive, I admit. The benefits are countless - best thing I ever purchased. No need to jump and put pressure on knees, feet, spine, etc., Benefits are reaped just from easy bouncing even for 5 minutes at a time. Seriously - it works for me. Hope you can try one and see if it suits your needs. Good Luck.
    LIFE'S TOO SHORT TO FOLD YOUR UNDERWEAR

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Suzibren, thanks for the additional information. I've been researching these off-and-on for the past hour! I did see the square one. I'll go back and look some more. I can't ride my bike everyday, so a mini-tramp would give me another option. Thanks for much for the suggestion and tips.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast