Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Exercise for Couch Potatoes page 4

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    Lifting heavy things is more of a challenge for me as my left wrist collapses when I lift more than 5 lbs in any way other than a carrying situation. I have made modifications by strapping ankle weights to my arm but that can only go so far.

I'd love to hear suggestions from others on how to modify things further.
    You could get a set of bodylastics bands (the $60 pack should do) and use the ankle straps on your wrists...

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the suggestion, Arthur. I have tried resistance bands before. I have problems with them as well.

Bird Goddess is offline Senior Member
    Marcadav, there is a tai chi move called cross hands that I use for lifting certain things. This move is a gentle moderate squat. Upon slowly rising, both wrists cross in front of the body, forming and "x" shape in front of the chest. The space between the body and the crossed wrists is where the object would be. Imagine lifting and carrying a rolled rug this way. I also use it for lifting large, awkward-shaped boxes. I works wonderfully.

http://www.ehow.com/video_4945156_ta...nds-close.html

suzibren is offline Junior Member
    To Bird Goddess - I trust you've received your mini trampoline by now and wish you many years of joy and good health on and off it. Please let us know how it's going, so that others might be encouraged to enrich their lives with this easy solution to exercise for couch potatoes! Love and light, Suzi
    LIFE'S TOO SHORT TO FOLD YOUR UNDERWEAR

Bird Goddess is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I received it a few days ago and I LOVE it. My boyfriend was skeptical, but he's a believer now. We are both shocked by the workout the resistance gives. We can feel all of our leg and feet muscles getting a workout. My boyfriend has well developed legs and he can feel the burn. I'm taking it slowly, just to get used to it. It's a blast to put on my favorite music and just bounce on my heels and then jog during the chorus. I have a mini-trampoline workout DVD on the way.

Thank you so much for the suggestion. This is a great collection to my non-land based exercise/play. I'm very happy with it. Endorphins, happiness, fun, and no back pain!

Mog
    Mog is offline Senior Member
    CathyG - I know what you mean, I struggle to force myself to walk daily, and I feel I need to lose weight and get fitter before I suffer the humiliation of group classes. Do you have an ipod or MP3 player? Sometimes when I feel I should go walk but can't be bothered, I remind myself I am in the mood for listening to music and its great to be moving when listening to loud lively music...inspires me to get outside when I am borderline, thought it might help you too when you struggle with the excuses. Good luck.

suzibren is offline Junior Member
    Thank you so much for the suggestion. This is a great collection to my non-land based exercise/play. I'm very happy with it. Endorphins, happiness, fun, and no back pain!

Ah yes, those endorphins ! Great for the immune system and getting that natural high.

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.
    LIFE'S TOO SHORT TO FOLD YOUR UNDERWEAR

tabithatoes is offline Member
    CathyG, I haven't had time to read through the replies so I'm sorry if I'm saying something that's already been said!

I, too, am a bit of a couch potato. I'll use virtually any excuse... but what it comes down to is that sometimes I'm just not in the mood to exercise. This all changed a few months ago when I found something I really loved. I take Pilates apparatus classes three times per week. It's strength and stretch that actually improves my back pain and posture. I think the trick is finding something you can get better and better at, something you love to do.

I'm not overweight and in relatively good cardio health, but I STILL can't sprint. Instant shin splints! My body has been weakened from years of inactivity, and the impact is way too much for me to handle. I bought a cheap recumbent exercise bike (the recumbent position is better for my back) and I can do some intense "sprints" with no impact at all. Resistance bands and stability balls or a BOSU are also good tools. Heavy lifting isn't for everyone, but pullups/pushups/squats etc make good use of our bodyweight instead.

Start small and go slow, build intensity and stop making excuses! No matter how you look at it, there's always something you can do to get moving.

bro0kiebaby is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't do it often, because it's very exhausting when I get into it.. cause I REALLYYY get into it, but I guess if you take it easy you could do this for fun and just to get moving and get your heart a pumpin'..

.. remember those old kung-fu movies- yeah poorly dubbed and sorta silly- well, with those as inspiration in the back of your mind, ((recall how they always had them do the strangest stuff when the Master would train his Students?)) do housework KUNG-FU STYLE!!! Try and empty the dishwasher in a kung fu-ish sorta way (add lots of HI-Yaah's and duck and weave and block with the dishes in your hands) I'm going to do a video of it just because it's hilarious and it's really fun. Heart rate gets up there too.
    Chanel your inner Karate Kid and mop the floor, or empty the trash Jackie Chan style- turn it all into fun and before you know it you have killed two birds with one stone... exercised AND done your chores- now THAT'S primal.
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow's a Mystery ~ Today is a Gift...
    That is why they call it THE PRESENT

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234