Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Exercise for Couch Potatoes page 3

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member
    The PB template makes it pretty damn effortless to lose weight and get in shape.

My advice is too stop making excuses. Life isn't easy... finding time & motivation to excersise isn't easy. Sure there are days where I don't feel like working out because my back is stiff, kid was up all night, tired from working all day with no breaks, but you know what... I still do. I can squeeze a 20 min workout in and feel great.

The "sore feet and bad knees" will get better with excersise... strength, flexibility, and just general use will improve those ailments. People that can "lift 350 pounds" probably started with 45. You can still run in "crummy weather"... buy some gloves.

If you're happy with what you see in the mirror, than by all means, skip a workout or do the "bare minimum"... if not then get out there and train hard. If train hard for you is walk and a light jog... then so be it.

suzibren is offline Junior Member
    This happened many moons ago, when some companies still had a shred of integrity left, and when I still had a shred of health insurance left!! Alas, the "good old days" are over, but I make sure I have what I need and life is good.
    LIFE'S TOO SHORT TO FOLD YOUR UNDERWEAR

CathyG is offline Junior Member

Thanks!

Thanks for all the replies. Lots of good ideas in here. I'm going to follow up on several of them.

Bird Goddess is offline Senior Member
    Good for you!

Once you really get into the swing of primal living, exercise becomes something you WANT to do, not something you need to do. Best wishes!

To Allbeef - Concerning your wish to find objective information, if you Google "Bouncing for Health, Scott E. Miners" you'll find his article(s) recounting many reasons to use a rebounder. This is simply written, easy to understand and factual. Also, "The Miracles of Rebound Exercise" by the famous trampolinist Albert Carter.

You have probably found lots of articles on your own by now, and I'm sure you've been somewhat enlightened as to the benefits of rebounding. Hope this has helped.

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member
    Thanks, Suzibren. I've found some interesting stuff, but I'm going to hold off on buying (truthfully... anything) a trampoline for now. I've been doing box jumping at CrossFit, and now I have to learn to jump rope. My goal is to learn to land without undue impact, so I'm hoping to get some of the benefits of rebounding while still trying to preserve whatever little cartilage I have left in my knees. But if money is in my future, I'll get a trampoline.

Sorry - but after I looked at Albert Carter's site, I realized that he is selling stuff, so we can forget his objectivity! Sorry about mentioning him. - but glad you did your research and found a way to keep moving. Good luck !

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member
    I read a lot of that post, and I liked a lot of what I read. I think I may be spoiled by Taubes (still reading that book), because I'm looking for studies that show a benefit beyond what you'd get from jumping and plyometrics. The things that I'm finding are basically pointing towards the "easier on the joints" end of the spectrum, which is certainly worthy of consideration in my case.

I did my first official CrossFit class the other day. Up until now we'd been in the introductory classes to learn the moves. During one of those classes, our trainer took out jump ropes, but I think he assessed our fitness and coordination, and came to the conclusion that our time would be better spent elsewhere, so he put them away mid-session. In other words, he knew it would take the whole hour to get us to get the rope under once or twice. At my first class the "warmup" was one minute of kettlebell swing followed by one minute of jump rope for three rounds. Having to try to jump rope in front of people who knew how to do it (including some senior citizens) ranked up there with showing up for a test in high school in your underwear on the embarrassment scale. I watched some videos and read some articles on the CrossFit Journal site, and I'm starting to get the hang of it on my own. I hope the next time that comes up in a class won't be so bad.

Hey Allbeef - Whew! I'm out of breath just reading your post! Don't get discouraged. Keep on keepin' on and soon you'll shine. Suzi

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Cathy, I have cerebral palsy that affects my left side, motor skills. I also have bone on bone arthritis in my left CP affected knee and moderate arthritis in my "good" right hand.

When I started working out I started with 5 mins/day on the treadmill. I slowly added time, weekly, until I now do 5 miles/day 5 times a week. I added sprints after finding MDA a few months ago. I was 60lbs heavier when I started.

Lifting heavy things is more of a challenge for me as my left wrist collapses when I lift more than 5 lbs in any way other than a carrying situation. I have made modifications by strapping ankle weights to my arm but that can only go so far.

I'd love to hear suggestions from others on how to modify things further.

As for motivation, I like to equate the habit of exercise to brushing one's teeth. You dont go without brushing and you usually do it at set times. The same with exercise. Pick a time to do it, then just do it. For me that's in the morning when I first get up. After a while it becomes as routine as brushing your teeth.

So, start small and slow. Make it routine and then add new things at a pace and in ways that challenge your body safely.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast