Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: SimpleFit: Excellent Primal Workout

Hybrid View

SimpleFit: Excellent Primal Workout

In July of 2007, I looked like this:

I had watched (and sometimes made an effort to reverse) my decline from my peak physical condition, achieved in my last year of university, back in 1997. I was looking for a way out.

I looked at CrossFit and was inspired (and terrified), but I didn't have the space for weights in my home and didn't know about the many bodyweight CrossFit workouts, so I didn't jump in there.

I found MDA, and was impressed by the idea of eating and moving like our ancestors...then I found SimpleFit (SF).

SimpleFit is an entirely bodyweight-based workout regimen.

I began the program on March 24, 2008, a little over eight months after taking the above photo.

SF Uses 3 Basic Exercises

1. Pull-ups
      1. If you can't do a pull-up, substitute 3 body rows (youtube) for 1 pull-up.
      2. A good comparison of perfect dead-hang pull-ups and kipping pull-ups (.wmv).
        A perfect pull-up has no motion in the lower body. The chest touches the bar, the head is held back, the eyes are directed straight up. It's good to know what proper pull-up form looks like, but you'll need to do kipping pull-ups in SimpleFit.
    2. Push-ups
      1. How to build up to real push-up (.mov)
      2. Tune your push-up form (.mov)
    3. Squats
      1. "Air-Squats" (.mov) ie. no weights

SF Works on a 3-Day Rotation
    1. Day 1 (endurance):
      As many rounds of the prescribed exercises as possible in 20 minutes.

At Level 1 that would be as many sets of:
      • 1 pull-up
      • 2 push-ups
      • 3 squats

...as you can do in the allotted time.

2. Day 2 (strength):
      5 rounds, for time

At Level 1 that would be 5 rounds of:
      • 2 pull-ups
      • 6 push-ups
      • 10 squats

...with approximately 3 minutes rest between rounds. Do not count your rest time in your total time.

3. Day 3 (judgement)
      1 round, for time

At Level 1 that would be 1 round of:
      • 10 pull-ups
      • 21 push-ups
      • 21 squats

...done in that order. Take as many rest breaks as you need, but be advised, rest time is counted on D3.

When you can manage the prescribed exercises in less than 5 minutes, you move up to the next level.

There is a very good and supportive community on the site.

Today, I look like this:

Still a ways to go, but in much better shape.

p.s. I am affiliated with the site in as much as I became a moderator on the forum there just yesterday.
    Last edited by cheapo; 07-21-2010 at 01:47 PM.

duuuude. that's amazing! ironically, that is pretty much my workout as well. although, i hadn't thought about switching up how they're done, so i'm gonna gank that concept love it!

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

LOVE the girl pull ups! LOL

Awesome work! But how is that different than crossfit?

Quote Originally Posted by strom View Post
    The key difference is that no weights or gym are required, just a pull-up bar.
    If you don't have time or the money to get to a gym, that's a key consideration.
    There's less variety that CrossFit, but the three exercises will get you fit.
    And while the exercises don't change, the challenge to "level up" on Day 3 is a huge motivator.

Quote Originally Posted by strom View Post
    Looks like CrossFit "Lite".

But great results for the OP.

Thank you, THANK you for posting this. I have been dithering about trying to figure out my gym routine, waiting for Mark's program to come out, or ordering P90X- particularly with space constraints, I think I am going to have to give this a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Diva View Post
    Thank you, THANK you for posting this. I have been dithering about trying to figure out my gym routine, waiting for Mark's program to come out, or ordering P90X- particularly with space constraints, I think I am going to have to give this a try.
    You, Primal Diva, and everyone else won't have to wait much longer. Barring any unforeseen hold ups the Primal Blueprint Fitness Program will be officially released in just one month. My team and I have been working hard since last year to put together the best program on the planet for people that want a simple, effective program that they can (and want to) do for life. It's a program that costs little to no money to do, can be done virtually anywhere with little to no equipment, and gets you the best results with the least amount of effort.

I'm very excited about it. Stay tuned!

P.S. The book will actually be a digital ebook and will be free to all Mark's Daily Apple newsletter subscribers.
    Last edited by Mark Sisson; 06-07-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Forgot to add one important factoid!

P.S. The book will actually be a digital ebook and will be free to all Mark's Daily Apple newsletter subscribers.
    i wish there was a non weird way to say I love you for making this free. I love crossfit during the summer, but can't do it when I'm back at school do to lack of crossfit gym/materials. hopefully your plan can keep me fit through college

Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free
    Silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands
    With all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves
    Let me forget about today until tomorrow

MY PRIMAL JOURNAL
    MY PUBLIC FITDAY JOURNAL

My brother was doing simplefit for a while and got some good results so I thought I'd give it a try. I come from a crossfit background (2 years) but was starting to feel it was a bit too extreme for me. Volume was too high for me and I ended up getting injured. I'm adopting a more primal workout routine so I've dropped CF. Anyways, since Cheapo started this thread I've been doing simplefit. I've gotten great results with the workouts combined with a primal diet. My only concern is that the volume is getting way up there again. I did L6D1 yesterday and finished 25 rounds in 20 minutes. 250 air squats seems excessive for me. knees are sore today. Might have to search for something else.....