Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: SimpleFit: Excellent Primal Workout page 9

Annika is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I use the JumpStretch bands - got them on Amazon. I started with the purple (light) one, but it wasn't strong enough for me. I'm a wimp and could only do about 4 pullups with the purple band, and it was a lot of strain on my wrists. I got the green (medium) one, and it's much better for my strength level; I can do 8 - 10 pullups with the green one. Highly recommended!
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

kmacphee is offline Senior Member
    Decided to give it a go today...

Level 8 day 1 for 18 rounds + pull ups and 6 push ups

I used to do "Cindy" for about 27 rounds using kipping pull ups, but decided to slow down and do all strict pulls. Chances are I will be sore tomorrow!

I like the simplicity, and look forward to Wednesday.

Thanks for posting the link.

cheapo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmacphee View Post
    Level 8 day 1 for 18 rounds + pull ups and 6 push ups
    I don't understand your notation. Can you explain your workout in more detail?

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Hmm. This looks blonde-proof. I have a pull up bar.

*strokes chin thoughtfully*

Looking good guys! I should stop being the green eyed monster and *do* something about it

Cheapo...

I did the monday workout for level 8...

completed 18 rounds

+ the pull ups for a 19th, then 6 more push ups and hit the 20min mark

cheapo is offline Senior Member
    I understand.
    Jumping in at Level 8 is impressive!
    A bold move.

I figured that I would be able to do about 15 + rounds (given my 27 rounds of Cindy with kipping pull ups), so I thought I should challenge myself with the intent of dropping levels if it was too hard intiially. I have a feeling I will be sore, but if I can make it through this week, then I will continue. If not, I will drop a few levels.

Bold may be the polite way to say "stupid"

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Silly question - why are kipping pull ups the preferred version? And what *exactly* are you doing with your body there (it's hard to tell, it looks more like a mild seizure...? Sorry )

NorthernMonkeyGirl...

Kipping pullups are more powerful and are done in that manner to create momentum so that more pullups can be completed in a shorter period of time. More reps in less time generally = more power which ultimately increases intensity, which is the goal of Crossfit...to increase work capacity across broad time and modal domains.

Basically, the entire body is used in a kipping pull up and moves through more range of motion. Having said that, there is a certain level of technique to learn, just like in olympic lifting, running, throwing a ball and other movements which require increased power through the use of momentum.

There is a place for kipping pull ups just as there is a place for someone to clean and jerk a weight over their head. Swimmers who compete in the flye stroke do a kipping style movement that is generated from the hips, so working with the kip pull up is a good tool for those athletes to learn the movements, and eventually increase power/intensity/work capacity.

Strict pull ups are great for building strength and muscle development as do kipping pull ups to a certain extent, but in my experience not as well as the strict pull up. I guess what I am trying to say is that they both have value.

ChrisJ is offline Member
    This workout is almost exactly what I do anyway when I don't have weights available. pushups, pullups and squats are a fairly good regime in my opinion.

To make it harder just subtract limbs:
    1 arm pushups
    1 leg squats
    1 arm pullups.

Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast