Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: SimpleFit: Excellent Primal Workout page 8

kmacphee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Sheglowspale...

Have you tried using jump stretch tubing to assist your pull ups? This is a much more effective way than doing jumping pull ups. I had my students doing jumping pull-ups for years with very little improvement (if any) in the strict pull up, however once I began using the jump stretch tubing the improvement went up significantly, especially with females.

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    this is AWESOME. I'm starting from sedentary, doing body weight rows and pushups from the kitchen counter, but I managed 18 rounds of L1D1 in 20 minutes. the simplicity is perfect for me. I have a gym membership through family and I've been hemming and hawing about starting a crossfit regimen, but trying to figure out the modifications for the WOD was making my head spin. The gym has a pullup assist machine so I think I'll try to use that when I can convince myself to get there, but I think I can do this!

cheapo is offline Senior Member

Gravitron

Quote Originally Posted by moonablaze View Post
    The gym has a pullup assist machine so I think I'll try to use that when I can convince myself to get there, but I think I can do this!
    Assuming it's a Gravitron or something very similar, it's one piece of gym equipment that really does its job. It's a shame we have to go to gyms to use them!

Best of luck with SimpleFit.
    Last edited by cheapo; 06-15-2010 at 06:36 AM.

Leveling Up With Substitutions

Quote Originally Posted by SheGlowsPale View Post
    1 - how exactly on day 3 do you know you should move up a level? If you do it under 10 minutes? 5 minutes?
    When you can do Day 3 in less than 5 minutes (counting any rest time taken), you move up a level.
    2- also if im doing jumping pull ups instead of regular pull ups do you think I should still move up to a new level doing those? Because I have a feeling if I should be able to regular ones in order to move up then im going to be at level 1 a LOOOOONNNNNGGGG time...Seriously,even after finishing p90x I still cant do them unassisted
    I don't have a definite answer to this one, but I have a few ideas.

You could advance yourself using substitutions, perhaps as far as Level 4, then, once you beat Level 4, go back down to Level 1, but this time: no substitutions!

Or, use substitutions on Day 1, but on Day 2 do the workout as prescribed. Don't bother timing Day 2. Take as long as you need. (A lot of SimpleFit adherents do not time Day 2, choosing instead to concentrate on form.) If it's just too many pull-ups, do a few less than prescribed.

I guess, taking this approach, I wouldn't use substitutions on Day 3 either.

The thing with pull-ups is, getting to one is very hard, but once you can do one, you have the tool to add many more. Try this: whenever you pass your pull-up bar (unless you pass it an outrageous number of times in a day), do one. Just one. You'll be surprised what a difference that will make.
    Thanks for listening...and congrats on your progress! you look fantastic!!
    Thank you.

Best of luck with the program!
    Last edited by cheapo; 06-15-2010 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    I started these today at L1D1 and did 19 rounds in 20 minutes. A little disappointing, but I have to remind myself that I have come from a completely sedentary, no-exercise lifestyle. So onward I soldier!
    How goes the soldiering?
    Onward!

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member
    kmacphee: Thanks for your suggestion! I don't know anything about jump stretch tubing...any links for info/examples of what I need to buy and how to do it?

cheapo: good advice! I think I will definitely advance to atleast level three on the assisted ones or ill be at level 1 forever for only that reason.

SheGlowsPale ...

http://www.flexbandonline.com/jumpstretch.htm

If you spend some time on the Crossfit Journal you should be able to find some archived articles specifically on the topic. I think I have one on my computer at work so I will check tomorrow and get back to you. Basically, I use the green band for beginners, and when the band becomes too easy, I move them to the purple band, then eventually to body weight. Some times people may even require a combination of the green and purple, then to the green, then to the purple, then body weight.

Here is a photo...

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member
    kmacphee - ahhh...I see..so it kinda shoulders some of your body weight so it makes it easier to lift up? im definitely gonna try that..thanks!

abdominator is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York

Doing 100% bodyweight exercises with ifing made me look like this.
    especially going insane volume on pullups,pushups and squats.

Thanx cheapo for starting this thread
    workouts are not supposed to be complex
    Last edited by abdominator; 05-31-2010 at 12:52 AM.

Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast