Thread: Health Screening

Threaded View

Health Screening

I had a free health screening at work today and the results were mostly what I expected:

Blood Pressure: 130/80 (I walked to the site, and generally have white-coat syndrome)
    Total Cholesterol: 238
    HDL: 53
    LDL: 175
    Trig: 46
    Glucose: 91

This was checked with a Cholestcheck machine that had the resuslts in ~5 min, so I'm not sure how accurate it was. I know most would have a heart attack about the "high" LDL, but I know that if my trigs are that low, it's likely mostly large and fluffy and not even that high (due to inaccuracy of Friedewald Eqn.) My only concerns are my high fasting glucose and slightly low HDL. I had been fasting for ~10.5 hours, so I wouldn't except my glucose to be quite so high. It was 79 last year when I was not eating as primal as I am now. My last meal was pretty low carb, although it was a pretty big meal (trying to add some muscle) And I eat a pretty high fat diet with a good deal of Omega-3s and saturated fat, so I would expect HDL to have gone up (I think it actually went down slightly from last time I checked, when I was eating MUCH lower fat).

I'm male, 24, 5'11" and about 162. For the past few months I've been eating over maintenance in an attempt to buid some muscle and have gained about 5 pounds (since the end of January). Could this have anything to do with the numbers, and should I take them as a sign to just eat normally and stop worrying about gaining weight?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by yodiewan; 04-23-2010 at 07:57 AM.