Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Any way to duplicate sugar satisfaction? page 7

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Sugar is a health tool, not an addiction or drug. It's good for you, therefore makes you feel happy. Like eating any healthy substance.
    geez really?
    I sure was never happy when I was eating shit loads of sugar, and I am sure I am not the only one.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    I think the phrase "doing it wrong" is appropriate here.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    geez really?
    I sure was never happy when I was eating shit loads of sugar, and I am sure I am not the only one.
    how bad do you feel after a cup of tea with a spoon of sugar in it?

I would have agreed with you two months ago, but I've realised there's a massive difference between refined sugar, and what goes into junk food. I think when people are craving chocolate and stuff it's usually got of all the other crap that's in there - wheat, soy, etc. not cos' of the sugar.

And, as with anything, quantities are relevant
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YogaBare View Post
    how bad do you feel after a cup of tea with a spoon of sugar in it?

I would have agreed with you two months ago, but I've realised there's a massive difference between refined sugar, and what goes into junk food. I think when people are craving chocolate and stuff it's usually got of all the other crap that's in there - wheat, soy, etc. not cos' of the sugar.

And, as with anything, quantities are relevant
    No idea, don't have that sugar in my house, so I am not about to find out. Doesn't matter, I don't miss it and don't need it.

YogaBare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    Don't think so. I didn't have much of a sweet tooth growing up, and now I do. I actually ate more disgusting trash like green vegetables for a while and was very anti-sugar like many people here. So, basically, I caused the problem in me, by ascribing to mainstream alarmism and propaganda.
    Mmm yeah, but the veggie craze is part of the "healthy" programming we grew up with. I'm thinking about the kind of foods we were naturally drawn to as kids, before we were overly influenced by what was apparently "good" / "bad" for us...
    "I think the basic anti-aging diet is also the best diet for prevention and treatment of diabetes, scleroderma, and the various "connective tissue diseases." This would emphasize high protein, low unsaturated fats, low iron, and high antioxidant consumption, with a moderate or low starch consumption.

In practice, this means that a major part of the diet should be milk, cheese, eggs, shellfish, fruits and coconut oil, with vitamin E and salt as the safest supplements."

- Ray Peat

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Mmm yeah, but the veggie craze is part of the "healthy" programming we grew up with. I'm thinking about the kind of foods we were naturally drawn to as kids, before we were overly influenced by what was apparently "good" / "bad" for us...
    I suppose so. I ate like a typical boy, I guess. Lots of pizza, cheeseburgers, those grocery store pies warmed up in the microwave, soda, energy drinks etc. My breakfast consisted of a monster and a pop tart.

I don't remember having any affinity for a particular taste, or macronutrient, I just liked all stuff that is considered junk food.

Funny enough, I felt a lot better eating that stuff than I did when I started getting that healthy programming.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Interesting...
    I've been told that as a toddler I loved veggies and veggie flowers, green leafies, and such... I ate them raw in the garden, including pulling up and eating raw scallions... the white bulb part included, which apparently I did often.

Yes, my parents were "back to the land" hippies.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    My problem with sugar is that for me, it pushes out nutritious calories.

Interestingly, for me, I have amazing energy and look great (relatively) and my new rush is looking in the mirror. I guess I'd rather look great than be fat and have sweets. I don't need the pop of energy anymore.

I'm midway thru my second Whole30 and find my cravings are much different now- I just don't have them. Sugar offers no more appeal than a veggie burger patty (refined sugar- I eat plenty of fruit). I think if you don't want to want sugar, you just have to get thru eliminating it for a while and deal with not having the "drug".

It does warrant creating a substitute. I used to like sugar when bored or upset.... Now I walk. For rewards, I shop.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    tramadol? really? it had zero effect on me, and now i feel kinda cheated
    Same. I have it prescribed to me and frankly I have yet to see it do anything even dull pain.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

SeaHorse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    This sounds super tasty, any particular cut of pork? And are you making a rub with cocoa powder, chili and salt?

I'd prefer this to sugar any day.
    Yes, UF, it is super tasty. Just lean pork, any. Pour some unbleached gray salt on it, sometimes cocoa powder, sometimes we get ready mix of chocolate pieces and chilli for the little "moulin". Just show it all in the owen for 20-25 min. Lasts the whole week, sure, if made enough quantity wise. And the salty spicy fat that is left on the pan I use to cook vegetables. Yesterday did endives with some pork fat. Yummy!

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast