Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Already went gluten free and I'm very skinny and tall, is this diet okay? page

disorder is offline Junior Member

Already went gluten free and I'm very skinny and tall, is this diet okay?

Primal Fuel
    Hello everyone,

Just to give a little background:

I am a 26 year old male. 6'0 and 150 lbs (and slowly going down). I have been on a strict gluten free diet for about a week now. This was not doctor ordered, but it was my own decision based on me having several bouts of tiredness on a daily basis for years now along with GI issues.

So far into this diet I have been feeling weak and have had a lot of gas. This I am sure is the withdrawal symptoms of my body going gluten free. However it seems I am still feeling the weakness/tiredness that I had prior to this diet. For example, this morning I ate 2 eggs with 2 strips of turkey bacon cooked in grape seed oil and 2 slices of gluten free toasted bread. Then 3 hours later I am feeling very hungry again and weak.

Now, I understand for my height and weight, I need more calories than other people, but damn after only 3 hours I'm back at square one hunger wise?

The reason why I really think this gluten free diet will work is because maybe my digestive system wasn't absorbing the nutrients that are needed to sustain my energy? Maybe after I ate my 2 eggs and bacon with toast, my body just threw away half the protein and carbs and only absorbed a portion leaving my body feeling drained a couple hours later?

I recently found out also due to my height and weight that in order to maintain my current weight, I need to eat about 2200 calories every day. I was trying to calculate what I eat throughout the day and am finding I am falling short of that.

I recently found out about this Paleo/Primal diet and I noticed it focuses on making sure we eat enough fat for our energy levels. So I think this may be perfect for me. I was wondering though, is it likely through this Primal diet that one would eat more than 2000 calories per day?

Also I will be reading the free E-book on this diet very soon, so I apologize if I have asked any very common newb questions lol.

Thanks to all who read this

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by disorder View Post
    I recently found out about this Paleo/Primal diet and I noticed it focuses on making sure we eat enough fat for our energy levels. So I think this may be perfect for me. I was wondering though, is it likely through this Primal diet that one would eat more than 2000 calories per day?

Also I will be reading the free E-book on this diet very soon, so I apologize if I have asked any very common newb questions lol.

Thanks to all who read this
    You can absolutely use primal to put on weight if you wish. It's very easy to add calories from healthy sources ( I know one fella that eats around 4-5000/day). Or you can go the other direction, but it doesn't sound as if you need that. It's a template that you can surely manipulate to fit your needs. Good luck!

itchy166 is offline Senior Member
    Skip the toast, trade the two slices of turkey bacon for four slices of real bacon, add two more eggs (all fried in butter). Slice up a whole tomato and a whole avocado. You are eating much too little IMO.

JessetheBest is offline Junior Member
    I am 5 11, 145 pounds. Been gluten free for about 2 months. I've found that it takes some adjustment but ultimately you will feel better so don't get discouraged. Seemed to take about a month for me. Second month has been awesome

I would second what itchy says. THe bacon should be the real thing, and go ahead and eat more of it. I don't eat bread of any kind, even gluten free. Just feels like an expensive substitute for a food that wasn't worthy to begin with.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Lose the gluten-free bread. That stuff can cause digestive problems, which is the last thing you need. Eat WAY more. Maybe throw some veg in there. Greens are great with bacon and eggs. Don't worry about fat, add liberal amounts of it to your food. You need it.

Seriously, avoid the processed gluten-free products. They are normally made with rice starch and potato starch and can be very irritating to the gut. Once you have things dialed in you can experiment with these things and see if they cause trouble or not.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Quote Originally Posted by itchy166 View Post
    Skip the toast, trade the two slices of turkey bacon for four slices of real bacon, add two more eggs (all fried in butter). Slice up a whole tomato and a whole avocado. You are eating much too little IMO.
    The reason I use turkey bacon is I figured pork isn't all that healthy, but I assume in my case I need all the fat I can. Yeah I suppose I could add two more eggs. I was just trying to cut costs by eating only 2.

You know what is frustrating, is there are people out there that only need to eat a bowl of cereal in the morning and a granola bar at lunch and they feel FINE. They have all the energy they need. Like the other day at work I was talking to a co-worker and all he eats for breakfast is 2 eggs and a piece of toast. And then for lunch he just had a yogurt and granola bar. And he didn't feel tired or anything. Also he was taller and weighed a lot more than I did. Amazing...I guess some people just need to eat more than others.

Quote Originally Posted by JessetheBest View Post
    I am 5 11, 145 pounds. Been gluten free for about 2 months. I've found that it takes some adjustment but ultimately you will feel better so don't get discouraged. Seemed to take about a month for me. Second month has been awesome

I would second what itchy says. THe bacon should be the real thing, and go ahead and eat more of it. I don't eat bread of any kind, even gluten free. Just feels like an expensive substitute for a food that wasn't worthy to begin with.
    Would you mind sharing an example of what your average daily eating consists of?

Also during the first month, what withdrawal effects did you experience?

Thanks for your help

wiliswene is offline Junior Member
    You are eating much too little IMO.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    I agree you're not eating enough.

I'm female, 48yo, 5"4" and I could put away that breakfast easily and eat again three hours later. (Only, like the others say, I would not eat the toast but would have butter fried mushrooms and greens, and/or some avocado and cheese with the eggs and bacon).

So at your height etc, just go ahead and eat more. Make sure it's all real food - meat with the fat on, veges with butter or sour cream, fruit with cream, nuts, dark chocolate etc.

There is no point in trying to cut costs by not eating enough. Cut costs by buying wholesome plain ingredients and preparing and cooking them yourself, which has the bonus of being better for you as well. No need to launch into the whole organic thing yet, just make sure you cut the processed products, oils and grains and you'll get good improvements to your nutrition without too much expense.

And don't worry about those overweight people who claim to live on next to nothing, your body is the one that you need to be listening to and looking after. Right now it seems to be saying "feed me".

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by disorder View Post
    The reason I use turkey bacon is I figured pork isn't all that healthy
    What makes you figure this? Just curious more than anything...IMO, pastured pork is one of the greatest things I can eat ever...yum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast