Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the primal diet making me smell weird? page

campanella is offline Senior Member

Is the primal diet making me smell weird?

This is unfortunate but since I've started eating primally (and it's gotten worse) my sweat has a really odd vegetable smell and I also have a terrible smell on my breath. I eat at least 150g carbs a day so it's not ketosis.

I looked it up online and saw that red meat, cruciferous vegetables, fermented foods and spices like turmeric and garlic contribute to weird smelling sweat?? Not good for me... I eat all these things copiously.
    but, that doesn't leave so much to eat. Lately I've been eating 3 or 4 apples a day, could that contribute anything because of the acid?

Does or did anyone else have this issue on the primal blueprint? Any ideas to get rid of it? I don't know if I can give up my aged cheese, cabbages and red meat, nor would that be healthful...

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    My husband gets the worst breath ever after snacking on raw cheese and lacto fermented pickles. It's really the cheese. I eat all of those things you listed and it is only after cheese that my breath is bad.

I worry about getting enough calcium and I don't think I could eat eggshells and insects at this point.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    My smell got noticeably better without sugar and wheat, and gets noticeably worse after a cheat day.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    i think egg shells and insects are really only eaten by a select few
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Do you smell weird or just human? How do you know the difference? Dunno, we are kinda olfactory challenged here in the USA. We do everything we can to annihilate and/or cover up our natural odors. Just saying....if you smell different on those foods I'd say its for the best one way or another.

Well, my mom says it smells weird xD

Jim_H is offline Member
    I don't want a new thread, so...

I recently ate brown rice a few days ago. I know, it was nasty, I had to put a lot of fat on it to make it not taste like cardboard, it constipated me, caused me trouble when I started moving, and then I just put the rest in the garden as organic waste to rid myself of the trash.

Anyway, Even though the house aired out, and I went to bed with it not smelling like the rice, when I got up to urinate around 0400 and again for work at 0600, I smelled like brown rice. It was really weird, and I remember having that in the past. If you work with drunks, it was a little like the phenomenon where a drunk is venting off the alcohol they drank as they slowly sober up. It was a bad, funky, rice odor, and it was coming from me. My bed really stank of it, leading me to believe I was sweating out the stink.

Anyone ever had that, or know anything about it?

Please refrain from chastising me for eating the crap.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Have you been eating a very low carb diet?
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I recently bought a bunch of CAFO chicken because I was going to try to eat protein in the morning (that was a fail - I'm just not hungry in the morning). Anyway, since I had cooked up a lot of it, I ate a bunch of it for about three days. I didn't notice a specific smell of chicken on me, but my armpits smelled like they used to before primal - not great. I actually had to use deodorant.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast