Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Journal of a Weary Dragon page 7

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Went to the Dr again re shoulder as its not getting any better. I have a physio assessment in 2 weeks time but am to do no exercise with it 'til then. I want to start doing something so for the next 4 weeks I will concentrate on some core exercises & Marks hip mobility exercises. I will walk 3-5mi a day (except Sat) & if I feel the urge I will start C25K on the treadmill otherwise that can wait until next month

I WILL DO THIS!!!!!

This week I will not be posting my numbers. I have been trying several different things out & today I intend to IF for 24hrs, so it would not really be helpful

These last few weeks have been a great experiment & I have learnt a lot but now is the time to get down to the serious business of a long term n=1. As next week is my photo & measure week now would be a good time.

Apart from weight loss my real goals are 1) to be able to listen to my body & eat appropriately & 2) to be able to have a PB treat in the house & not eat it all at once.

So from today my n=1 is:

46g protein, 5g carb, 80% fat = 1020 cals. 16hr IF. 1 tbsp coconut oil taken twice a day as per the Shangri-La Diet (can’t hurt to try as I’m taking it anyway). If my LBM drops after a week I will up the protein by 5g to a max of 62 (1xkg HSIS). If my weight loss stalls or I am hungry I will up the CO by 7g (56 cals) to a max of 1250 total cals where upon I will re-evaluate my n=1 else there will be no further tweaking for the next 12 weeks

I will weigh & post the numbers here once a week but otherwise I intend to be very quite as I now need to focus on other things for a bit

It would be great to use a blood ketone monitor while doing this to find the key numbers but for now I will have to do it the hard way
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 02-20-2013 at 11:30 PM.

Now here’s an odd thing – started the tasteless oil thing as per the Shangri-la diet this am. Put nose clips on to eat th coconut oil – no taste. But as soon as I took the nose clips off I could immediately taste the coconut. Next time I will have to wash it down with water first.

UPDATE: CO still has some taste even if washed down with water. Seth Roberts recommends light olive oil which is refined but I don't want to go down that route. will stick with the CO, nose clips & water for a while

PS drinking water with nose clips on is very difficult!!
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 02-21-2013 at 06:54 AM. Reason: update

Tried the CO this am while just holding my nose. So much easier than using the nose clips. Had a good swill out with water so only ended up with a very tiny after taste.

Would prefer to use a runny oil for SLD as holding ones nose & downing CO & water is not very public friendly but I am not using LOOV - its not primal & has been known to be doctored with other oils (if its tasteless how do you know its pure?).

Seth Roberts has apparently done n=1 on other fats so I have started reading his blog

Did come across this though – Butter is cancer inhibiting & the highest food source of CLA so I’m very pleased as it’s a cheap fat compared with the other types

5 Reasons Why Butter is a Superfood - Empowered Sustenance

Rachels unsalted is tasteless so I could probably get away with eating this & not having to hold my nose at the4 same time. Will se what his blog says

note to self - just eaten 30g of kerrygold & have got racing heart & feeling awful back again from the salt . DON'T DO IT!!!!

10g seems to be the max I can get away with

Fri 22/2 This is day 2 of my foray into the Shangri-La Diet (SDL). I like the idea because it forces me to eat the CO, which I know I should from a health standpoint & because of its metabolic boosting properties. It’s just that eating it in large quantities is so expensive - butter is much cheaper. I also like it because it forces me to be rational about my eating. I can’t start until after the morning shot which means no B/Fast & lunch approx 11am.Then I can’t snack until dinner as I have to allow for the pm shot at around 3pm.

It seems to be working too as I have so far eaten a miserly 500 cal s& I don’t wont anymore. I’m going to force my self to eat dinner in a minute, as my protein count is so low, but I really don’t want it. Snacking is definitely out. I don’t think I’ve felt AS like this before. I just hope it translates to the scales on Monday.

Final numbers: cals 1050 P 40g ratio 16-3-81

PS unofficially weighed today - down another lb so it looks like my new low is sticking. Didn’t check LBM

UPDATE: Its 10:30pm & I have not had the urge to snack on anything at all tonight, despite wandering onto the kitchen several times. This is fantastic. Maybe SLD is the answer although I am slightly concerned with the low cals. Must remember that I have catered for this in my n=1 so we shall see. I WILL NOT tweak.
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 02-22-2013 at 02:17 PM. Reason: update

Sat 23/2 cals 1249 P 46g ratio 15-5-80 Sleep 7.5 hrs straight - feel very refreshed this am

Carbs up to day (15g) as I have a portion of endive I want to use up for tea & found a portion of mince in the freezer whilst I was sorting it out. As mince doesn’t feature in my menus going forward (no reason why not it was a 1 off leftover portion & I don’t intend buying anymore for a while) I decided to eat it with the last of the cauliflower so I am having 2 portions of veg, which is unusually for me

So I have worked out the days menu appropriately and added enough fat to get me to 79% which is my absolute lowest, hence the cals are up but still under 1250 so that’s ok. I will be forcing myself to eat it though, even if it means breaking my 7pm IF cut-off time. SLD is working but I do need to get a reasonable amount of calories in.

For me this is a process of experimentation so apart from the fat%, being under the Pg & sticking to the SLD rules, I’m more relaxed about the rest of it at the moment.

PS unofficially weighed today - up 1 lb LBM up 0.4 lb so I’m quite happy as I know the 1lb can’t be fat.

In the middle of reading the Diet Hacker. Absolutely brilliant. More later.
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 02-23-2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: add sleep

Hit another late night kitchen raid again last night – didn’t bother counting but it must have been about 600 cals – all fats though apart from a couple of grams of protein in the nuts & HC so I’m keeping within the macros just upping the calories – still at least its not 1000 cals & grains or sugar. Fat does seem to have become maybe a bit too pleasurable

Scales up +1 this am

Diatomaceous Earth

I was catching up with one of the journals today & found mention of diatomaceous earth for use as an internal cleanser. It apparently acts like a colon cleanse & is also good for deworming animals.

Have posted the links here so I don’t lose them as I think it’s a great idea when I can afford it

DiatomPure

Diatomaceous Earth Human Use, Natural Health Benefits, and Information for Humans

Body Fat %

I’ve just been reading Leigh Peele's blog about BF%.

Has a very interesting article on reading the scales:

Leigh Peele Blog Archive The Science of Scale Fluctuations

Leigh Peele Blog Archive The Science of Scale Fluctuations (cont.)

His view seems to be that you need to lose BF before trying to gain muscle (females start at 15-16% which is reassuring as that’s my goal BF%) & to lowe4 BF you need to have a large enough deficit (>800cals). This fits well with my current thoughts on my own cal input so a very interesting read (for me at least)

His e-book http://www.fatlosstroubleshoot.com is another one for the list.

NB: He lists the different ways of measuring BF & suggests none are perfect not even DXA. The hand held machine is just as effective if you use it the same time every day (first thing ion morning before eating or drinking).
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 02-24-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast