Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Journal of a Weary Dragon page 5

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    The latest diet craze to hit the UK is IF & the latest one being aggressively promoted is the 2 days diet. This basically reduces your calories (while pretending not to by dictating the amount of each food type that can be eaten from a predefined list of foods) & carbs while eating mainly high protein (another stupid low fat diet!) on two days then sticking to a Mediterranean diet for the other 5 days. The difference between this one & the other IF diets doing the round here right now is that the IF days (if you can call it that – they seem to think IF means less calories rather than a defined widow of eating) are consecutive. It is supposed to be proven to help reduce the risk of breast cancer as well & I post this info only because it may make sense to do 2 Fat Fast days within an IF window on consecutive days weekly. This may mean you would get all the benefits of IF & Fat Fast (i.e. lose weight & give body a rest) then consolidate the gains with 5 days of EMF. Might be worth a try.

Tuesday 11/2 cont. Planned Cals 1215 ratio 13-7-80 Actual cals 1280 ratio 10-6-84 sleep 7hrs loo break then 1hr woke up feeling awake for the first time in forever.

Since my protein was going to be rather low today (carb count up due to endive & berries) I decided in the end to go for the 3 day fat fast (I know, I Know, I’ve changed my mind again!). I may yet pay for it in LBM loss but what the heck, at least I'll know if it works or not. After 3 days I will be sticking to the planned HFPM meals anyway. Not sure I want to try this for a while whilst working & getting the fitness plan going so now is the time to do it.

Am a bit off the 90% today by 84% is better than the 79% I have been doing so it should do some good. Could actually have stopped at just under 1000 cals but wanted to up the fat & use up some cream at the same time.

Will aim for 90% & 1000 cals tomorrow.

Have also decided to IF at the same time with an 8 hr feed window (started at 09:30 & just finished my last at 17:30 so need an early night I think before the munchies set in. Wish me luck for tomorrow.

PS Had a basement clearout today so another reason for trying the fat fast now – I want to see if it makes any difference
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 02-13-2013 at 05:52 AM. Reason: add sleep hrs

Wed 13/2 – Fri 15/2 – 3 Day Fat Fast with 16hr IF window

OK So I have planned my 3 days (not counting yesterday as the Fat % was only 84%). Demuralist has reported a craving for protein, crappy sleep & no weight loss after 1 day on 90% fat but higher than 1000 cals so will be interesting to see how it goes

In the interest of science & since I need to get it out of my system once & for all, I’m going to 1000 cals & an 8hr feeding window (makes sense with so few cals & I want to see what it feels like as well). I'm also hoping this will show me I can stick to a meal plan if I really want to.

NB: It has come to my attention over the last few days that carbs of any form are just extra cals. To do zero carb it would be necessary to cut out eggs, something I’m not prepared to do but I feel I could easily leave out the veg carbs. I think once I have finished this experiment & am back on HFMPLC I will eat up what I have left then the way of veg then not buy anymore. I have enough protein & fat here not to have to shop for at least 4 weeks so not having to go buy fresh veg & get distracted into buying other things will help the bank balance too.

OK, on with the experiment:

Start Weight: 176lb BMI: 28.27 BF: 40.9% Water: 41.9% LBM: 55.6%

Wed 13/2 Planned: Cals 1014 Ratio 8-3-89 Actual: Cals 1014 Ratio 8-3-89 Sleep 4hr15 loo break 3h felt tired still when I woke up so laid in bed snoozing for 30min

Menu:
    Cream Cheese Pancakes – 2 egg yolks, 5g unsalted butter, 2oz full fat cream cheese
    Hot Chocolate with 2 tbsp double cream
    Cream Double Extra Thick 30ml (3 heaped tsp)
    Chicken & Mush Soup using homemade stock with 20g unsalted butter
    Coconut Oil 25g

Exercise: Took dog for 30min walk

Weight: -2 174lb BMI: 28.03 BF:41% Water: 41.9% LBM 56.0%

Very pleased with myself for sticking to the menu. Started eating at 9:30, finished at 17:00 feed window 7:30. Ended up eating most of it in the morning then hung on til late pm before eating the soup with butter. Felt hungry just before bed at 11:30 but it was not terrible & didn't keep me awake. Not particularly hungry when I woke up. Will happily wait until 9:30 before eating again.First time in a 2 weeks I didn't use painkillers when going to bed (could just be a coincidence).

Have lost the 2lb I gained last week. Unfortunately most of that is the 1.5 lb LBM I also gained last week + 0.5lb BF. This is what I was worried about with such low protein levels. Still will see it through to the end of the 3 days as am a third of the way in & I wont need to do it again if I'm right & no significant BF is lost.

Thu 14/2 Planned: Cals 1000 Ratio 8-3-89 Actual: Cals 1000 Ratio 8-3-89 Sleep 3.hr dog loo break 1.5hr Went to bed very late which didn't help. Not tired this am though.

Menu:
    Feta Omlette – 2 egg yolks, 20g unsalted butter, 25g feta cheese
    Coconut Oil 30g

Exercise:
    Took dog for 30min walk

Weight: 174lb BMI: 28.03 BF:40.8% Water: 42.1% LBM 5.8%

No weight loss but 0.5lb BF loss & 0.5lb LBM gain. Was a bit hungry last night & very hungry this am but will wait until the allotted time before eating. Stuck to the menu OK. Started eating at 9:30, finished at 17:00 feed window 7:30. Wouldn't want to do this for more than 3 days, especially for so little result. Feel OK mood wise just disappointed in the weight loss.

Fri 15/2 Planned: Cals 976 Ratio 10-1-89 Actual: Cals 995 Ratio 9-2-89 Sleep 8.hrs no break.

Menu:
    Feta Omlette – 1 whole egg, 10g unsalted butter, 25g feta cheese
    Coconut Oil 20g
    Macadamia Nuts 15g

Exercise:
    non - dog not well so no long walk. I was also feeling strange so stayed in.

Weight: 174lb BMI: 27.998:30 BF:40.8% Water: 42.1% LBM 5.8%

Woke u after the longest uninterrupted sleep I've had in years feeling brilliant. Not hungry at all. Started eating at 9:30, finished at 17:30 feed window 8:00. No change in how my clothes fit.

Would I do the fat fast again? Answer No. Although I feel great this am, I felt really terrible yesterday & given no real weight loss I can't see the point in doing this again.

Would I do IF again? Definitely This n=1 has shown me that I can a) follow a menu plan b) not eat in the evenings. Snacking in the evening is my biggest problem so I am going to keep the 09:30-17:30 regime up but using my proper protein amount of 62g , up the cals to my BMR (1350) & 80% fat for the next couple of months.
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 02-16-2013 at 12:14 AM. Reason: fri numbers

Can't believe how much energy I have got since waking up & not feeling tired. Its the first time I have felt like going near the TM since xmas and I did 20mins at a very slow jog. Doesn't seem to have had much effect on the shoulder
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 02-13-2013 at 06:55 AM.

Found this formula tody over on Paelobird's thread about counting calories

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29501.html

It is aimed at determining the LBM (& hence protein reqs) when you are HSIS:

1. Start with your ideal BMI. 22 is my aimed for midpoint
    2. Multiply by the square of your height in metres to get HSIS weight in kg. Eg I am 5'6" which is 1.68m (multiply height in inches by 0.0254) so that gives 22*1.68*1.68=62 kg (funny how I keep coming up with that number)
    3. Multiply by 2.2 to convert to pounds - 62*2.2=137lb
    4. At HSIS weight, a woman will have approx 20% body fat. LBM is then (1-20/100)*HSIS. So when hot I should have (1-.2)*137=109.6lb LBM Target protein 109g protein.

I am excited about finding this formula because I have often wondered how much LBM I need to add for my HSIS weight. Currently it is 104lb so I now have a target & am a lot closer than I expected. Also it gives me a chance to explore expected body comp as I get closer to my goal:

BMI 22 weight 137lb (9st11) BF 20% LBM 109lb, BF 18% LBM 112lb, BF 16% LBM 115lb
    BMI 21.5 weight 134lb (9st8) BF 20% LBM 107lb, BF 18% LBM 109lb, BF 16% LBM 112lb
    BMI 21 weight 131lb (9st5) BF 20% LBM 104lb, BF 18% LBM 107lb, BF 16% LBM 109lb

Whilst I know the big flaw in all of this is that BMI is the key number it is interesting to get some idea of expected LBM
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 02-13-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Whole30

Have just found the whole30 website. I assume this is what everyone is doing when they say they are doing a whole30 (I thought before it jut meant 30 days of EMF or PB). Looks like a good idea. The only problem I have with it is no dairy - butter & cream are featuring pretty heavily at the moment so have posted here to remember it. It will be worth doing at a later date

The Whole30 Program | Whole9 | Let us change your life.

The Timeline: A Day-by-Day Guide to Your Whole30 | Whole9 | Let us change your life.

PS Been reading Kalli's Leptin Reset Journal & have found two interesting ideas:

1) Can't find the reference now but basically she was saying that in her experiments she has worked out that

x cals y protein z fat = maintain
    a cals b protein c fat = loss

now I just have to figure out what the numbers are

2) A interesting post on MindBodyGreen: 5 Questions That Will Transform You

- Why do you want to get healthy or stay healthy?
    - What will you look like after the first 90 days?
    - What would you want to feel like in 90 days?
    - What will others say about you after your transformation?
    - What do you want your legacy to be?

Definitely something to think about
    I'll answer these in a later post. Have to think...

Hey, where are you coming up with how many calories that you are supposed to be eating? They seem rather low.

For example:

I'm Female and 5'5 and I'm estimating that I weigh around 170 lbs (I don't weigh myself)

Off of this equation my BMR is 1554.3

Then you take your BMR and multiply it by your Harris Benedict equation: Harris Benedict multipliersUse these to add your activity to your BMR.
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:
    •If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    •If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    •If you are moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    •If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    •If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

I said that I was lightly active which means that I take my 1554.3x1.375 and I get 2,137.20 calories a day, but for weight loss goals I eat 500 calories less than that which takes me to 1637 calories

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Hey there,

Not sure if you are still using rapeseed oil.
    Dear Mark: Canola Oil | Mark's Daily Apple
    Why Canola Oil Is Not A Health Food | Food Renegade
    Maybe that helps? It's not so much about the O6 - O3 content, it's the fact that it's incredibly unstable and oxidizes easily. Does very bad things to the body!

I don't know if you use bacon, but bacon grease is supposed to be really tasty in mayo!

I am not doing the EMF challenge. Well, I am trying to eat more fat, but I am not restricting carbs because I do not want to lose any weight. From what I have read, however, it is better to start off with no calorie restriction whatsoever. If you are struggling with staying the course and not feeling well, I would not recommend restricting. Your body may have things that it is trying to heal and needs all the nutrition it can get.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Hi NamelessWonder, Nice to see you.

Yes I'm still struggling with the rapeseed oil issue. Not because I want to cook with it (am now using unsalted grass fed butter) but because I want to make decent primal mayo. The bacon fat idea sounds interesting but can't imagine how it would work as it is not runny & wouldn't the mayo taste of bacon? But then I am no cook. Don't suppose you have a recipe?

Re EMF I am coming to the same conclusion that restricting cals may be wrong because I read somewhere that the body gets used to lower cals therefore you can't go back up without gaining I am only doing the 1000 cal Fat Fast n=1 just to get it out of my system really because I don't think it can work (too little protein = lower LBM not BF). It has made me realise however that carbs are not really necessary - they are just empty cals so I'm going to rework my EMF menus accordingly & when I start exercising (damned shoulder!) I will up the cals & fat%.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just found this interesting post re the digestive system:

Does Meat Rot In Your Colon? No. What Does? Beans, Grains, and Vegetables! - GNOLLS.ORG

now I know not to worry about my current once a week habit
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 02-14-2013 at 09:16 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast