Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Journal of a Weary Dragon page 2

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wednesday 30/1 Finally managed to eat the intended menu today Ratio 17-3-80 cals 1344. Not really hungry all day. Great excitement though - my copies of The Primal Blue Print & The Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance turned up today. Spent most of the day reading the A&S of LCP. Two things have finally clicked:

1) Daily fat intake must exceed the high 70%
    2) I finally get the Omega 6 issue. Having reread Marks def Guide to Oils again I think the real problem with the various oils is the high O6 /Low O3 content of most of them & the refining process they go through. From my perspective this applies to sunflower oil which is contained in the mayo that I use as its the only one I can find without sugar in it. I realize I need to change it but to what? EVOO taste foul in mayo, refined OO is not recommended because it is refined. Macadamia oil is too expensive So I am back to rapeseed oil. I think the main problem Mark has with it is that in the US it is made from a predominant GM crop & it is refined to death. Here in the UK it is not GM & the one I use is organic cold pressed. It's O6:O3 ratio is better than EVOO as well. So I am going to finish the couple of jars of mayo that I currently have (but use sparingly), then switch to making my own from cold pressed organic rapeseed pil. (If there is anyone out there who can refute my logic re rapeseed oil or suggest a different oil to use in my mayo then I still have an open mind).

The other big surprise was the very, very high amount of O6 in walnuts. I love walnuts & have eaten a lot in the last few months but will now stay away completely. I will also switch to using EVOO on my daily lunchtime greens & reserve the walnut oil for when I have endive (occasional treat when I can get it reduced).

Thur 31/1 Found the makings of my favorite meal all at reduced priced so decided to splash out - Endive, rotisserie chicken & port salut. Also picked up some berries & thick cream to round it off. However instead of eating the lot I portioned it out to keep to my macro nutrient ratio & daily cals (The best thing about doing this is that I really enjoyed what I had & can go through the same pleasurable experience again tomorrow instead of feeling guilty at all the protein & cals I just consumed). Because I was out & about all day I wasn't really hungry & had to force the coconut oil down to get the numbers right ratio 13-6-81 cals 1319

The other break I got today was macadamia nuts at half price in a Tesco that I don't usually shop in (the offer wasn't on the web or in my usual Tesco so I will go back there next week just in case) so I bought the lot (6 packs) Having worked my shopping list out for intended menus I am surprised at how expensive it is too eat this way. Good quality fat is far more expensive than meat. Luckily coconut oil is on offer at H&B right now so have stocked up with that too.

I have a freezer full of chicken, turkey & HM stock as well as salmon so will eat all of those then switch to buying free range chicken which I have found at a reasonable price in ALDI. I suspect free range may not mean grass fed but it will be a step in the right direction until I can afford to buy from my local farm.

As I have numerous tins of sardines & tuna in the cupboard I have adapted the menus to include these in order to eat them up, modifying the fats as necessary to keep the 17-3-80 ration & cals approx 1350. Spinach & mackerel I will swap every other time for spinach & salmon to eat that up too. I realise this will alter the EPA & DHA numbers I have calculated but taking a supplement will help.

Fri 1/2 Having finally realised hot chocolate made with soya milk has got to go, I have decided to get creative. I tried making it with hot water & 2 tbsp of double cream(I think that’s half & half in the US). It was actually very nice & more importantly the numbers are P1, F16 instead of P15, F8 as in soya. The Cals are very similar so that has solved that problem. Am going to try it later with single cream, as that will drop the cals to half. I have also bought kerrygold butter instead of my normal goats butter as its the same price & according to the raw milk website better for you so I can now say re dairy I am truly primal.

As I have not really been following my intended menus this week (but still getting the ratios right) & have not been exercising I have decided to use this as a test week & start my proper 12 week plan from Monday. Hopefully I'll lose a lb this week & can really get going next week.

Have started reading the Primal blueprint today. Bit disappointed so far - it is just a consolidation of what I learnt from the forum but will be a good reference point in the future.

Numbers for today: cals 1517 ratio 15-6-78
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 02-03-2013 at 01:52 AM. Reason: input correct days numbers

Sat 2/2 - Oh my God!!! feeling thin this am & have 'been' so decide to weigh. 7lb!!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. I have never lost that much in a month before on any diet. Have now lost the few lb that have crept back on whilst not tracking + some.

Checked the numbers & have lost 1.1% BF. Whilst 2lb was LBM I would expect that (have read in The A&S of LCP this week that a) fat cells include LBM & b) that fat cells do die off - I have always been told they are with you for life - my goal now is never to introduce some more as the old ones die off) with such a big loss, especially as I haven't been exercising this week (too much primal reading & EMF research). The water % stayed the same so the rest should be a real BF loss.

Went off menu a bit today (Port Salut is still 1/2 price - must stay out of Tesco's) & really fancied a cheese omelette for tea. Since I still have some goats cheese in the fridge this was what I had and ended up with 1239 cals ratio 19-7-74. This begs the question - keep the cal right or get the macros right? I have posted this question on the EMF thread. In the mean time I have decided to go with the ratios & will lose the extra cals tomorrow. A normal portion of coconut oil (25g) took me to cal 1439 ratio 16-6-78. Not being able face more oil I then had 25g nuts which took me to a final 1626 15-6-79. At this stage I would consider 79% fat the very lowest I should go.

NB: Just checked back over the weeks ratios & have a number of 77-78% fat so could have saved myself 180 cals, but like the mentality I have gotten into which is that least 80% is a must for great wt loss - 79% is the absolute minimum. So the extra cals is probably worth it at this stage if it reinforces that approach.

PS: Update from the 'cals or ratio' question posted on EMF: 1 reply said all her research suggested stick with the ratio (as I thought), the other (from the highly esteemed thread owner) said stick with the cals & 'start again tomorrow'. No help there then. My gut instinct is to stick with the ratio because I know 70% fat/right cals doesn't work for me BUT I also think it's important to be sure to drop the cals (but keep the ratio) over the next few days to balance things out.
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 02-03-2013 at 01:49 AM. Reason: update to cals or ratio question

Exercise Plan Have finally got the exercise plan sorted. One of the most exciting things about MDA is the thought of getting a ripped body (I really want this) & be able to do endurance events (NB: I am currently 49, 42lb overweight with a bad knee & 41% BF so don't laugh too much) With a doggy knee & lbs overweight the cardio has been intermittent & the weight plan I tried last year (Body-for-Life which I followed religiously for 4 mths) did nothing to increase my LBM, so I had finally let these dreams go. MDA & The A&S of LCP have changed all of that. To be able to reach my body's potential (OK I agree ripped may be a bit much) & get fit without the chronic cardio & putting in 3hrs a day is a revelation to me.

Have spent all week dithering between Marks fitness plan (PBF), NerdFitness BW program StrongLifts 5x5 & SimplyFit. they all have their merits, give consistent messages & consist of similar exercises:

LHT - I have always wanted to be able to do proper squats (currently have no balance & can't get my ankles flexing so I sit on my heels), push-ups & pull-ups (now realise its probably not my lack of upper body strength although that doesn't help - it is that I am too heavy) & love the thought of doing planks for abs but no crunches (these always hurt my neck & lower back). So I have decided to start with Marks LHT from PBF, especially as he has broken each move down into small steps.

When I can do the required no of reps across all 4 exercises at level 4 'the essential movement' (hopefully in 12 wks) I will switch to SimplyFit for at least 12 wks to see what that does. I love the simple program & this thread has inspired me so much:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread7663.html

Will then start adding the wt progrsm from strongLifts for 12 wks but stating at a very low wt a) to get thf rom right b) my heavyest wt plates aqre 10kg c) I will need a squat rack & olympic barbell to get heavcy. After thast I hope to have saved enough to update my home gym & have cleared out he garge so I can move it all in there.

Of course all thios may change as I progress - no sense changhiong something thst works.

Cardio - the primal blueprint has finally become worth the expense - I now realise the importance of only doing sprints once a week. This has the added advantage of letting me start my running program with out getting into Chronic Cardio or overdoing things (PB has finally made me realise that overdoing things is detrimental).

So my endurance goals for thsi year are to complete 12x5k. I will use the Firman FAST training plans

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/160961802...hvptwo=&hvqmt=

starting with the Novice plan which is similar to C25K but longer & increments in smaller steps. The FAST philosophy is based on 3 only 3 runs a wk - 1 interval workout (track repeats) , 1 tempo run & 1 long run & covers novice to marathon with an extra program to qualify for Boston (another dream but now only if I can do it without chronic cardio) so has everything I need in a running program. For now I will simply swap the track repeats day for Marks sprint program but may eventually move the sprint to the bike & stick with the full run program.

So to recap:

1) the exercise plan will run in 12 wk cycles aligned with the eating plan (this will enable me to give any change time to provide real results rather than change things for the sake of change)

Cycle 1 13 wks 4/2 - 28/4:
    Nutrition - 1350 cals (just bellow BMR using LBM calc) ratio 17-3-80 with 10% decrease in cals if wt loss stalls, 10% increase if wt loss > 2lb after initial 3wks & 10% increase in protein if LBM decrease after initial 3wks.

LHT - PBF 4 essential movements (Mon/Wed/Fri) Cardio - PBF Sprint x1, FIRST Novice 5k Plan tweaked to 2xwk over 12wks keeping HR between 60-75% (Tue/Thu/Sun - Sat Rest)

Goals: 1) Wt Lost 17lb - this will get me within touching distance of normal BMI
    2) BF% down 6%
    3) no decrease in LBM
    4) be able to run 5k without chronic cardio & without stopping - will enter a local one on or around 6/5
    5) be able to do proper push-ups, Squat to at least parallel with feet on floor, grok hang for 30sec

Cycle 2 12 wks 6/5 - 28/7 (29/4-5/5 1wk rest - recovery & less stringent on cals):
    Nutrition - EMF reviewed

LHT - SimplyFit Cardio - FIRST Intermediate 5k Plan substituting PBF Sprint for track interval session

Cycle 3 12 wks 5/8 - 27/10 (29/7-4/8 1wk rest - recovery & less stringent on cals):
    Nutrition - EMF reviewed

LHT - SimplyFit + Wts Cardio - FIRST 5k Plan substituting PBF Sprint for track interval session

I will be 50 in Oct & I want to celebrate my birthday with no one recognizing me

NB: this may seem all rather complicated based on LHT, sprint once a week & go for a walk, but I am a numbers person & my main focus here is to get me to look really good for my birthday so I need to know where I am going Also the 'exercise when you feel good' philosophy doesn't work with me. I need to be ticking boxes to make sure I actually do something & have written it up her to try and make me accountable I am very good at setting goals but hopeless at achieving them. However, I do think this is doable this time so here goes
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 02-03-2013 at 08:55 AM. Reason: spelling

Sunday 3/2 Was on the computer til very late tonight so ended up getting only 3hrs sleep - not good I know & I woke before I needed to, probably because I had to be up at a certain time & that always causes me sleep problems. One of my big problems with primal living is getting enough sleep. I don't sleep well anyway & have just got a new job which involves me working long hours so going to bed at 10pm & getting up at 6am is going to be very difficult (even if I did get to bed at 10 I am unlikely to go straight to sleep). The only thing which sends me off is having the TV on otherwise I lay awake for hours In my defense I tend to listen to it rather than watch it - maybe I should try a cd or something.

Numbers for today: cals 1877 (went over board on the nuts tonight - will put it down to experience & very late night) ratio:18:3:79
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 02-04-2013 at 10:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Week 1 Round-Up So first week is done & dusted. Ave cals 1490, av ratio 16-5-80 so pretty much spot on with the ratio. Cals 150 over. Wt loss 7lb (still can't believe it).

So what have I learnt?

1) Once you get over the initial 'do I really want to eat butter & olive oil off the spoon like cream?' its actually quite easy to up the fat levels.
    2) eating good fats is way more expensive than normal protein (can't afford grass fed from the farm down the road at 3x price).
    3) It's better to get the ratios right (ie 80% fat) rather than keep the cals low
    4) Tracking is a necessity with this WOE & its better to track before dinner so you know what to have to get the cals/ratio spot on. - planned menus are a must I think whilst calorie counting as its just too easy to go over when trying to get the ratios right.
    5) Butter is my new best friend - same fat cals but <1/2 the price of coconut oil & mac nuts (need to find an unsalted grass fed source though)
    6) With a little creativity you don't have to give up on your favorite foods - I can still have hot chocolate - ditch the soya milk & use hot water & cream
    6) I feel less stressed & less tired. Will be interesting to see how it goes next week when I start exercising.
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 02-04-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Monday 4/2 cals 1345 ratio 16-5-79 pretty much spot on even with eating slightly different foods.

Been trying out extra butter today. Got through 30+g - definitely too much salt (I never usually have any). also cleared the freezer out & found some portions of minced turkey - slightly up on the protein but not at max so will finish them off over the next few days.

No exercise today but not bothered if I don't start til next week. More interested in getting the the nutrition right (80% of the issue)
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 02-05-2013 at 02:53 AM. Reason: spelling

Tuesday 5/2 Cals 1373 Ratio 17-4-79 Sleep 9hrs (went to bed at 8pm as felt I could fall asleep which I did - woken in the middle of the night by a thunderstorm (in the middle of winter???)& hailstones.

After reading MDA & (trying to keep up with) EMF thread, IF seems to be the way to go or at least eating when you feel like it. This worries me for 2 reasons:

1) B/fast is supposed to be the best meal of the day (B/fast like a king......)
    2) Eating small meals through out the day is supposed to keep the metabolism burning.

I went for years eating only once a day & gained weight even when I was dieting. I have appreciated for some time now that eating all your cals late at night is not the way to go. I also know I have a very slow metabolism as I have always found losing weight very difficult (Until I went low carb & even that stopped after a few months).. So I am terrified of screwing up my metabolism even further.

On the other side I did lose 7lb last week using EMF & every thing I have been reading over the last couple of weeks seems to contradict CW, it also all makes sense. The other thing about IF is it will keep the food bills down which would allow me to swap supermarket meat & eggs for grass fed (3x price here).

Plus, as I have already learned this week, to do EMF you need to unlearn everything you thought you knew about nutrition so maybe this is just part of the relearning process.

As I have never been very good at clock watching & thus never have managed to eat 6 meals evenly spaced out, I'm going to go for 4 meals a day spread out from 7am to 7pm & aim more for the ratio than for meeting the cals target (everyone in EMF seem to never be hungry anyway). I need to eat really cheap right now & have a freezer & store cupboard full of protein so for the next 12wks will stick to using these up, have a wide variety of fats every day whilst keeping the expensive ones (coconut oil & mac nuts) to a minimum & see what happens. I tend to overeat in the evening anyway so having a defined curfew will hopefully sort that out.

I have reworked my menus & they all come in just below the suggested protein level & between 0-100 below the cals target I set for myself. As all these numbers a subjective anyway (there are so many different ways of calculating these thing all giving slightly different results - who's to know which is the definitive answer) & since this is my own n=1 experiment (can't imaging anyone ever wanting to read any of this but I'm finding it a good place to get the thoughts down) I'll start here & see what happens.

As any new eating regime has funny effects on the body at the start (don't suppose losing 7lb in a week is the norm) I will give it 3 weeks eating these menus before changing anything then will up the cals (fats) by 10% if I lose more than 2lb a week (why starve for no reason) or if I lose nothing (low cals could mean stalling I think). If I lose LBM I will up the protein by 10% & adjust the fats accordingly to keep the 80% ratio. Aside from lots of walking I will not start any other cardio (unless I'm feel like it) for the 3wk intro period but will start my LHT program next week at the latest.No w I have got that sorted I just have to stick to it.

NB: I also have to stop over analysing everything - I don't have the time & to keep changing thing means I'll never know what works.

So going forward, I am going to update here with minimal progress posts every day & ignore MDA & EMF (too much info) as I'm finding it addictive & should spend the time more wisely (LHT, walking ??)
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 02-05-2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: added numbers

Wednesday 6/2 Cals 1531 Ratio 16-3-81 Sleep 7hrs woke naturally

Haven't managed to kick the read EMF habit yet. Spent most of yesterday checking out IF. It seems that it may not work so well for females especially those over weight. I like Marks approach - fast when its convenient or when you are not hungry & I still like the idea of restricting food in the evening as that it when snacking get out of control so I still going to try a 12hr on/12hr off approach to see what happens but wait until I stall before trying proper IF.

Had the urge to weigh this am just to see if last weeks weight loss is still there (still can't quite believe it). Have lost another lb so half way to my goal of 2lb for this week. So what I'm doing seems to be working.

Tried 3 egg yolks in my omelette for b/fast but a) not enough liquid b) 3 whites is a little too much for the dog I think so will go back to 1 whole & 1 yolk tomorrow. Also tried single cream in my hot chocolate - not a success & gave the rest of the cream to the cats.

Just been reading the poo thread & discovered cayenne is good for constipation amongst other things. I dislike any hot spice but have been happy consuming 1/2tsp paprika on my evening meat so will get some mild cayenne when I shop next & try it. See if it makes any difference. Have started taking phsyllium husks just to get things moving as have found stools very hard since starting EMF. Apparently its good to take with a squeeze of lemon so could add it to my early morning hot lemon (have been thinking of upping it from 1/4 lemon to 1/2 for a while now so might do both).

NB: cals a bit hit but really pleased with 81% fat
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 02-07-2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: input numbers

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast