Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Journal of a Weary Dragon page 10

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    The Whoosh Effect

I read somewhere that when fat cells give up their fat they expect to be replenished fairly soon so don't change in size. Instead they store water which is why fat becomes squiggy before disappearing. It is only after time that the body realises more storage fat is not forthcoming & relases the stored water. Hence the whoosh effect

So this am I have taken the plunge:

1 tbspn ACV
    1/4 tsp cayenne
    1/2 tsp cinamon
    1 cup tepid water

mix together & drink

I know all of the above is good for me but I hate cayenne & ACV in water tastes foul. I was hoping the cinnamon would help the taste but not much. I know you are supposed to drink the cayenne with hot lemon (helps with the heat) but I am not spoiling my early morning hot lemon & I don't want to waste any carbs on it.Cleaning my teeth straight after helped & the cinnamon took the edge off the ACV so I suppose it worked, kind off.

Assuming I keep it dowm ok will do the same tomorrow.

The only thing I'm worried about is what if taking them all together affects the benefits of taking them separately? I guess I'll never find the answer to that on the WWW LOL

UPDATE: would you believe it! I did find a version of this drink (should have looked first).

They are some of the ingredients in some crackpot detox drink that's supposed to raise your metabolism. Although this review rubbishes the drink I think it's more about the quantities involved & the 'raising the metabolism' bit that is the problem. I got what I wanted from it anyway (in as much as you can trust these type of reviews) they are probably not going to clash with each other so the health benefits I am aiming for should occur long term

http://doingspeed.com/supplements/ap...etabolic-rate/
    Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 03-11-2013 at 03:37 AM. Reason: update

I came across this today. It tries to explain how NK works for weight loss. I think the jist of it is that if you re-wire your body to use fat for energy, you will be able to use your own fat, ie how your body is wired depends on what you eat. If you eat carbs, the body's biological pathways are wired to use carbs...if you eat protein, your body is wired to use protein....if you eat fat, your body is wired to use fat. Once you re-wire your body to use fat, you cut the fat you eat and the body (already used to using fat), will use YOUR fat for energy. Interesting:

Why Low Carb Should Be High Fat...

"Trying to keep both your fat and carb intakes low in the hope of losing weight more quickly? It's probably not a good idea, and you do it only at your own risk.

Your body needs energy to perform all the little daily tasks it's called upon to do. It takes energy to walk, to digest food, to sit in an erect position, to move, to breathe -- even to think. It even requires energy to sleep, and for your body to repair itself of all the little damages it incurs during daily life.

Fortunately, your body is a very efficient power plant. It can use any of three fuels to generate the energy it needs. Only if it runs out of those fuels will it be totally unable to produce energy and cease to operate. But before it reaches that state it goes into a stage comparable to rolling blackouts -- a condition in which it warns you through various symptoms including, but not limited to, hunger, aches and pains, extreme fatigue, bowel irregularities, and even problems with the texture of your skin and hair, that it needs more fuel. However, you should never let your body get to the point of warning you that it's out of fuel. Here's why:

The three types of fuel the body can use are carbohydrates, fats, and protein. Carbohydrates are the body's "preferred" fuel -- the one it will use first, if available. If there are no carbs (sugars and starches) available, then it will use fats. And only as very last resort -- after having warned you via the "rolling blackout" method that it's in real trouble -- will the body use protein as a fuel.

That's because the protein you eat is needed by the body's organs and muscles, and is constantly used by those organs and muscles to keep in good repair. So if you require protein to produce the energy for your daily activities, you divert it from its prime -- and very important -- purpose. You could even end up cannibalizing your body, causing a breakdown of first its muscles and then the major organs you need to simply sustain life. (This, by the way, is why some doctors and nutritionists are so convinced that low-carbing will shrivel your muscles, eat your liver and do unspeakable things to your kidneys. They don't consider the fact that the body will use fat for energy before it'll use protein if it's supplied with enough fat for its needs. And because they're so conditioned to the low-fat way of eating they can't even imagine anyone eating enough fat to supply their body with energy, for heaven's sake!)

Now back to the body's preferred fuels. We are mostly conditioned from birth to use carbohydrates for fuel, so the body will use them automatically. (There's a good reason why human breast milk -- nature's intended food for infants -- contains more than 1.5 times the carbohydrates that cows' milk does.)

Most people get more than enough carbohydrates to fuel their bodies' daily activites. The body, being a well-run power plant, puts the leftovers in storage to use in the future if it's needed. But it can't store carbohydrates, so it turns them into fat and keeps them on deposit in the body's cells. And we see it walking around the streets wherever we go, hanging off bodies in a most unattractive way. Some of us see it every time we look in the mirror, as well, and don't like the way it looks on us.

An excess of fat storage is usually the reason we choose a low-carb way of life. We want our bodies to use the stored fat for energy and leave our bodies lean and sleek looking. And, as we all know, it works. But we can make it work far more efficiently by understanding the way the body uses fat.

The switchover from using carbs for energy to using fats for energy is only semi-automatic. In the absence of carbs the body will use fat, but only sparingly. Remember, the body is conditioned to store that fat against the time when it runs out of fuel. It considers fat an "emergency ration" and it goes into conservation mode, producing only the amount of energy that's necessary to sustain life, and you go into those "rolling blackouts." You may feel hunger, fatigue, muscle aches, joint pain, etc. You may become extremely constipated. Or you may just feel a general malaise. This happens to many people when they begin a low-carb diet, and often keeps them from following through. "Oh, I tried that," they'll say, "And it didn't work for me."

There is a way, though, to train the body to use fat automatically as its preferred fuel, and one that it can safely use to produce unlimited amounts of energy. You do that by depriving it of carbohydrates, while at the same time providing it a good supply of dietary fat. After a while -- usually only a few days -- this convinces your body that it can always expect to have a bountiful supply of fat to use as fuel for its energy generator and takes it out of conservation mode. Because it has both dietary fat and stored fat to draw upon, and has no reason to stay in conservation mode, the body will produce lots and lots of energy. You'll avoid the "rolling blackout" warnings and feel far better, with plenty of energy. And this will continue for as long as you eat enough fat to keep your body out of conservation mode.

This is one of the reasons that doctors who support the low-carb way of eating tell you that you shouldn't eat fat-free mayonnaise, salad dressings, cheeses, etc. (The other reason, of course is that most of them contain added carbohydrates just to make them barely edible.) It's also the basis for the widely touted and very effective "Fat Fast" method of jolting your body into weight loss if you find yourself in a persistent plateau.

But what the doctors often forget to mention is that these days even eating full-fat condiments and foods may not provide you with as many fats as you should have to encourage your body to freely burn fats. This is because so many of today's foods are routinely stripped of the good, healthy fats they used to contain.

For example, food animals are bred to be as close to fat-free as possible. Beef and pork is touted as being "lean," and it is -- almost to the point of being tasteless. It's nearly impossible to get chicken with the fat and skin still attached -- I have to order it specially from my supermarket. Recipes routinely call for pans to be sprayed with fat-free sprays rather than using fats to keep the food from sticking, and even those of us who follow a low-carb way of life often use them, thinking we're doing the right thing.

So to avoid depriving our bodies of both fats and carbohydrates at the same time, we often have to consciously add fats to our diet. Trying to eat a low-fat or reduced-fat diet along with a low-carb diet is almost a sure recipe for failure. It may appear to be effective, at least for a while. You may lose some weight, but despite cutting your carbohydrates down to almost zero you probably won't lose as much as you would if you were eating more fat. You surely won't feel nearly as good as you would if you ate more fat. And you may even end up falling by the wayside along with those people who say "Oh, I tried that, and it didn't work for me.""

Source: http://www.low-carb.org.uk/lowcarbhighfat.htm

Estimating Protein

Use the rule of 7's - 1 egg or 1 ounce cheese or 1 ounce meat, etc. adds up to around 7 grams of protein

Have come across this before somewhere & wanted to keep it where I could find it. Great idea if I'm eating away from home

Estimating Calories

Have been re-reading V&P A&S of Low Carb Performance & it says that once you have figured out your protein & carb requirement, you should eat fat to satiety fat should fall in the 65%-85% range). Then, once you get into NK, lower fat until you are losing. There is no need to get a certain high percentage of fat for this to work. Body fat utilized for energy is counted in your fat percentage.

There's no advantage to eating a super high percentage of fat if you're already in ketosis and utilizing body fat stores. In fact, it may work against you.

The calories are a natural expression of the food you are eating. If you limit your protein and carbs and fill in with fat you will find yourself in a certain range of calories. If you're not losing and you lower your fat your calories will naturally fall.

NB: this all makes more sense now. I just need to learn to listen to my body say its full then all will be OK. As I move my protein up over time the fat % will naturally fall - I do not need to up the calories to keep the fat % high for the sake of it. It's only taken me 6 weeks but I think I have it all figured out now. Just have to make it work lol

RMS123 is online now Senior Member
    Good point. I know this, but don't often practice it...

Starvation Mode

Although I am sure starting at the low calorie end is right for me, I am occasionally plagued with doubt that I am ruining my metabolism etc. Links like these help my resolve:

Starvation Mode - Why You Probably Never Need to Worry About It - Fitness Black Book

Podcasts

Since I am using my journal more as a scrapbook of all things NK I am going to dump her a load of podcasts etc to listen to/read later:

Google 'LLVLC-ep-602-morley-robbins' and it should be the first hit. This podcast is about magnesium.

Google 'atlcx-26-dr-jonny-bowden' and it should be the first hit. This podcast is about supplements in general.

http://www.mbschachter.com/importance_of_magnesium_to_human.htm about magnesium

Google '
    The LLVLC Show (Episode 602): Morley Robbins Says What You Don’t Know About Magnesium Might Kill You'

Google 'oil pulling teeth' for good way to remove plague & keep teeth healthy & bright (NB: remember must spit oil out as its full of toxins)

Dr Rosedale, a portion of Boston Speech at the Heinz Conference - YouTube

grass fed and minimally processed. Whey Natural! USA? ? Nature's Purest Remedy? (NB: I would just do an AFFORDABLE whey protein isolate mixed with Glutamine and some BCAAs. Would try to stay away from fats post workout because it slows protein synthesis. Like Sambo says, coconut oil is optimal BEFORE training because the MCT fats provide immediate energy...my preworkout is coffee, coconut oil and cocoa powder. Talk about a bolt of energy for a tough training session!!!)

Last edited by Ddraig Goch; 03-29-2013 at 05:54 AM. Reason: added info

I think I may have to give upon the HCWC – I think it is the coco that is giving me cravings & the urge to eat more. I have been having more than 1 HCWC & after my second 1 last night I desperately wanted to have more. Then I wanted to say F@K & eat lots of fat (mac nuts/butter/HCWC), got it all out of the fridge, boiled the kettle then thought of the NSZ looming so put it all back & had a cup of herbal tea. 1 to me!!

Big Motivation

Am reposting here what Iv'e just posted on the EMF thread - for when I get disheartened

I have to say this whole daily weighing & tracking thing is very exciting. I have never done it before only weekly. The scale weight has not moved for a week now, my BMI has been bouncing slightly between 27.0 & 27.3 so that could be a reason for depression. I also unofficially measured bits yesterday – no change so more depression.

BUT looking in the mirror I can see something has changed. Everything is going south (to be expected at my age I suppose) & my stomach is showing indentations where the ribs are & wrinkles like a balloon that has been blown up then let down (not pretty but very rewarding) & my thighs have gone soft & squiggy. Most importantly, today the BIA monitor showed a full 1 lb (0.5%) BF loss, water was up & so was LBM slightly. This would suggest I am fat burning (Yes!!) but retaining water. This is born out by my inability to need the bathroom this am (this is what usually wakes me) despite my bedtime herbal tea & drinking as normal so far today.

So instead of depression at the sight of the scale getting stuck I feel optimism that a whoosh is forthcoming & I will not only break into a NSZ but also down into a new BMI number.

PS: Today is the first time I have woken up not hungry so have brought Breakfast to work with me but still not hungry (11:am). It has been approx 6 weeks since I started aiming for deep NK so maybe I have finally arrived.

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast