Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is learning how to run killing me?? page

ddickson is offline Junior Member

Why is learning how to run killing me??

Primal Fuel
    I have been primal for going on 3 weeks now.

I started by exercise regime at the same time. Which includes MWF lift something heavy for about 30 min(usually targeting 2 areas a day ex. yesterday was abs and arms 3 circuits of 12-15 reps).
    And TU/TH just cardio usually 30-45 min(depending on how i feel) of elliptical.
    as well as swimming about 2-3 days a week for fun and for cardio/fitness(ex competitive swimmer and current lifeguard).

The past 2 weeks for cardio it has been the elliptical as a choice of cardio. I have always liked it and its fairly easy for me to get a good workout in. Until it started getting difficult to get my heart rate up (past 140) and I had to push myself harder. And I know in swimming when that happened it meant that my body had become adapted and was being the most efficient it could be. So I would switch it up and work on a less preferred stroke for a week or 2 then go back and I would be good.

So on Monday I switched to a "learn to run" 8 week at home program. Consisting of slowly increasing your time running so you get the stamina to run for 5km at the end of a 8 week program. COOL.(Because I am a swimmer and a bicycler so run is all i need to achieve my goal of doing a triathlon one day)
    So I am on walk 2 run 1 for 30 min with a 5 min cool down followed by tons of stretching(because I am NOT a runner AND FEEL it everywhere!)

My issue is that my eating habits have not changed. I eat after my AM workouts.Daily macros are about 40F/50P/10C BUT....This week(yesterday and today) I am absolutely EXHAUSTED after my workout...Not during but after. I get home and I don't want to even shower. I feel like I cant even eat.(But i do).I sit down for a second and I pretty much feel like I need to lye down and nap!!(I never nap!!)

im F/25/220 with 125LMM, very muscular and athletic and always active.

Does anyone have insight as to why I am feeling this way?
    Am I just exhausting my body because I am not a runner?

Thanks to all who read and reply!

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    You are doing WAY WAY more than is needed to be fit and healthy. You can't force good health with constant exercise. "Cardio" is pretty much an utter waste of time and precious energy. Not to mention running over time will wreck your joints. Your body is telling you something. Listen to it!!

Too much? Only about 3-4 hours of moving at a moderate pace per week... If i go any less than 70%MHR I feel like I am wasting my time! PB recommends 3-5 hrs of 55%-75%MHR energy expenditure per week....Walking, hiking...Whatever I need to do to get my HR up to that level..

If this is too much what would you suggest? go at a lesser HR? Less time spent actually exercising?

Keeping in mind I am needing to loose about 40 lbs to be at a good solid athletically healthy weight for my body type.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Run slower. You can't outrun your fork* anyways, so the main focus in running right now should be:
    1. Not hurt yourself.
    2. Not overexert yourself.
    3. Complete the workout. If you feel like you can't finish, you're running your 1 minute too fast. Way too fast. You said your program is trying to build you up to running for 30 minutes straight, which most people can't do at a very fast pace. Try less of a "run" and more of a "jog".

*No matter how much you exercise, the fuel you use matters far more. You can't outrun your fork. Abs are made in the kitchen. (Insert other cliche'd saying here.)

Althaur is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    You are doing WAY WAY more than is needed to be fit and healthy. You can't force good health with constant exercise. "Cardio" is pretty much an utter waste of time and precious energy. Not to mention running over time will wreck your joints. Your body is telling you something. Listen to it!!
    Cardio is not a waste of time. What do you think going for a long walk is? Would you say that's a waste of time?

Running CORRECTLY will not ruin your joints either. I can attest to the fact that learning to run correctly improved my joint health.

That being said, look at what jfreaksho typed again. Take it slow. Slow down your running portion for now. Once you can "run" the 5 km without taking a walking break, then you can work on increasing your speed or adding more distance. You have to build that base. The finish line isn't going anywhere. It will wait for you no matter how long it takes to get there.

Be patient and realize, you don't have to feel like the workout kicks your ass everytime. Some of my best runs are when I leave my watch behind, and my wife and I just jog and chat. Those 6, or 8 or 10 miles go by really fast, and at the end we both feel good.

Relax.

Keep going.

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    It takes time for your body to get used to running.

I've been running for a few years now and do notice that it is a different kind of fatigue - after a strength workout I feel tired but buzzed and great. After a long run I feel good, but weary...oh, and hungry. Weight training seems to suppress my appetite.

For all new runners though - you definitely need to slow down. As Althaur rightly says, once you can run continuously then you can decide on whether to work on distance or speed (but I wouldn't recommend both at once). Running should be fun...so take it easy and enjoy it.

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    I agree, sounds like way too much to me too. If you're exhausted after your workouts, guess what, you're doing too much. Listen to the body or it breaks down on you. Mine did, but doesn't anymore because all I do is heavy lifting 2-3 times a week, walk a lot, and sprint about once every 7-10 days, and am in better shape than ever...but that's me, 48, 2 young kids, business to run, about 8 hours sleep a night...if work or home demand more, I'll cut back on the workout frequency or intensity so I don't burn out. Everyone's different, but exhaustion isn't a good sign. Check the Primal for Athletes section of the forum--there's probably advice for post-workout nutrition that would help.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    The exhaustion is a sign you may be overtraining or overreaching. You are lifting 3x a week, you are running 3x a week and you are swimming 2 or 3x a week too. I was doing the Starting Strength lifting program (more or less) and got overtrained and exhausted on 3x a week of that plus one hike a week. I had to cut back. Lifting takes a lot more out of you than it seems it does. You have to eat a lot if you are going to keep your heart rate up like that all the time, too, even sacrificing weight loss to prevent burning out.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Go gradually and build volume little by little and cycle intensity. I now do morningcardio every day but make sure to not overreaching on intensity. It is possible to train the ability of recuperation as well so be patient...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you all for your great feedback!

I will slow my schedule dow a but and see how I feel. Maybe only jog 2 times a week, and a short (5min) elliptical warmup and cool down after my lifting 3 days a week.

The swimming part i have always done and has never seemed like a a training day to me. I guess its just because I have always swam this much; its just normal. But I do have to count it as exercise I guess!

Thank you all again for the great advise and words of encouragement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast