Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why is learning how to run killing me?? page 2

Primal Fuel
    I started running a couple of years ago, out of shape and overweight, and really failed miserably. Part of what helped me, in combination with moving towards a Primal WOE and losing some weight, was concentrating on form. I suffered terrible shin splints and the motion of running was just uncomfortable.

I'd suggest looking into minimalist footwear and checking out YouTube for info on Chi running, POSE running, and Evolution running. They offer similar advice, and it helps reduce the beating you take. I feel like I run lighter now, kind of glide more. But it did take a long time of alternating running and walking, and gradually working on distance, endurance, and speed.

Still a work in progress.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Looks like you are a good all around athlete, but it will take some patience to build conditioning (to run, that is). I did it last year by alternating between walking and running. I'd say it took me a month and a half to do 5K straight. Now about 9 months in I have to pretty much make myself stop at 9 - 10 mi. Altho I very rarely go for long runs like that.
    Running is easy. Swimming is the hard one for me

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    You're not eating enough carbs post-workout.

zilog is offline Senior Member
    Greycat has it. It is all about conditioning, the same as all physical activity. You just need to take it slow and let your body get used to it.

The carbs thing ^^^^ is bollocks. I eat plenty of carbs at the weekend but go low-carb during the week now. So far this week I've cycled 8 miles 6 times, done 2 heavy lifting sessions, one set of Tabata intervals on the ergo and run 8 miles once (this morning, at a fairly fast pace). I feel fine. I have slowly built up to this level of activity over the last couple of years. Patience is the key.

diene is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    *No matter how much you exercise, the fuel you use matters far more. You can't outrun your fork. Abs are made in the kitchen. (Insert other cliche'd saying here.)
    That's not true. I lost 17 pounds through running alone. I did not change my eating habits at that time (and I had terrible eating habits).

I agree that exercise can only take you so far and that eventually you'll have to fix your eating habits to go further. However, it is possible to lose weight through exercise alone. I'm sick of hearing people say that it's not possible.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by serenity View Post
    That's not true. I lost 17 pounds through running alone. I did not change my eating habits at that time (and I had terrible eating habits).

I agree that exercise can only take you so far and that eventually you'll have to fix your eating habits to go further. However, it is possible to lose weight through exercise alone. I'm sick of hearing people say that it's not possible.
    I'm not sure who says it's not possible to lose weight through exercise alone. The point is that conventional wisdom (is it really wisdom?) says lots of cardio is the way to weight loss. The reality is that weight loss is about a calorie deficit, and can easily start in the kitchen instead of hours of mind-numbing cardio. Cardio is just one of the ways to help create a caloric deficit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12