Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D side effects - cramps / upset stomach / IBS? page 2

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Wait breakthrough! Sorry my brain is fried but this just came to me,

To absorb a fat soluble vitamin, your gut needs to be in prime shape. Now, you said that you're just coming off being a veg, could have done a little damage to the gut. Not absorbing vitamins would cause symptoms like that depending on what vitamins...

I'd say add celtic sea salt to the diet, helps with production of HCL and lots of other things
    Avoid gluten/non-raw dairy...
    avoid drinking too much water around meals
    don't mix proteins, ie don't have elk and chicken in the same meal
    try not to mix oils, meaning don't have bacon grease and coconut oil... or butter and coconut oil

I could go on and on... but this could be the problem.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

kimmie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EGYnutrition View Post
    don't mix proteins, ie don't have elk and chicken in the same meal
    try not to mix oils, meaning don't have bacon grease and coconut oil... or butter and coconut oil
    I'm curious...how does mixing these things affect digestion?

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Different animals, different digestive enzymes. On top of that, your body also produces SPECIFIC enzymes to deal with what you put in it, but when you mix proteins and fats things can get messy. Especially with eggs because people tend to scarf their eggs down in a minute or two.

Just a pearl I picked up from Paul Chek. It's not a major concern if you don't have digestive issues, but when someone might have leaky gut, or just gut damage in general, it's better to be safe.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

xanderd is offline Junior Member
    thanks for the replies!

I have cut down (~5k per week) on Vit D and the symptoms have improved. I started taking it int he 1st place simply because I read so much about how good it is and being an office worker in the UK I get no sun!

However, slightly aftr that I also cut out my whey protein shakes....mainly due to the high phosphate levels - anyone had problems with these?

I noticed on the bottle that the phosphates can cause stomach upset in some individuals, and each scoop is about 250% of the RDA. The next day I read a newspaper article about how excessive phosphates (mainly from fizzy drinks) cause premature tissue aging...so I cut out the whey powder!

That might well have been the cause of the stomach upset as I was having 1-2 scoops per day.

As for the cramping - I'm interested to hear about magnesium. i ALWAYS get a jittery spasm in my lower ab muscles - sometimes every day for a week. I'll def. try magnesium - whats the correct dose?

ChristineCrain is offline Senior Member
    The leg cramps sound like a charlie horse to me, those tend to be cause by potasium/sodium imbalance, but can be cause by other mineral deficiencies. I used to get them all the time and still do if I eat bananas.
    ---
    ~Christine

Dryden is offline Member
    FWIW, since going primal I've experienced bouts of severe, debilitating cramping in my calf on random mornings, about once a week or once every-other week, but I've attributed it to the Vibrams, exercise, and overall lack of conditioning in my atrophied-sitting-in-a-recliner-with-shod-feet legs. Like any sports-related cramp, the pain usually works itself out in 60-90 seconds.

The Big L is offline Senior Member

calf cramps

Interesting, as I've been experiencing calf cramps at night lately. I've been eating PB-style and taking 5,000 IU of Vitamin D most days for about 3 months now. The calf cramps started about a month ago. I have been eating more protein for about a month, so I suspected that I was cramping up due to a lack of hydration. Just a guess though.

JESME is offline Junior Member
    I was prescribed 5000 units of Vitamin D. I used it for almost a month. I noticed, however, after each use that I felt sick. Sometimes I would become nauseous. Sometimes I'd feel cramping in my abdomen.

I stopped taking it, resuming it two days ago just to see what might happen.

Guess what? Again I was hit with nausea and cramping! It, also, causes me to have diarrhea!

My stomach is in knots at the time of this writing.

TwoDimes

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JESME View Post
    I was prescribed 5000 units of Vitamin D. I used it for almost a month. I noticed, however, after each use that I felt sick. Sometimes I would become nauseous. Sometimes I'd feel cramping in my abdomen.

I stopped taking it, resuming it two days ago just to see what might happen.

Guess what? Again I was hit with nausea and cramping! It, also, causes me to have diarrhea!

My stomach is in knots at the time of this writing.

TwoDimes
    What are the ingredients? Are you taking it with food?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    I'd look at potassium and magnesium with muscle cramps... not vitamin d...
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast