Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Chobani an acceptable brand of greek yogurt? page 2

14emom is offline Member
    Shop Now
    I don't know if I did the quote right, doesn't seem like it.

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=14emom;1069752]
    I'll bite - I'm experimenting more in the kitchen now, so how do I make some (Primal community approved) yogurt?
    /QUOTE]
    Take raw milk, heat it up to about 120-123 degrees, then let it cool to 110 degrees. transfer to a crock pot, add in some plain yogurt (your "starter) mix thoroughly. Wrap crock pot up in big towel or blanket. This is to keep it at a steady temperature. Place somewhere warm (I put mine in the same room as the wood burning stove, but if you wrap it well, you can keep it anywhere that is warm in your house. Let sit over night, 8-10 hours. Take the lid off and voila! Yummy yogurt!
    can regular store bought 2% milk or whole milk be used to make this with store bought yogurt?

14emom is offline Member
    I wasn't sure so I googled it. This is what I found:

Conventional, organic, pasteurization, and homogenization: While many people choose organic or local, grass-fed milk for ethical reasons or because they prefer the flavor, English says "organic, UHT [ultra-pasteurized], or regular milk all perform the same, in my experience," though she chooses to use milk from pastured cows. Mendelson confirms that while "ultrapasteurized milk doesn't have the best flavor," it "can be successfully inoculated with lactic acid bacteria." Mendelson also prefers unhomogenized milk, which creates "cream-top yogurt with a beautiful layer of cream and a bigger lower layer of skim," she explains. "Stir them together, and you get that wonderful combination of richer and thinner."

Read More How to Make Yogurt at Epicurious.com

So I guess you can use store bought. Let me know how it turns out!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    You can use conventional milk, but its cannot be ULTRA pasteurized. Just pasteurized. I get grass-fed, pasteurized whole milk at Whole Foods.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Fage full fat is my favorite. It's so thick, creamy, and delicious!

I also have never seen another brand of full fat Greek yogurt. Would be curious to try the others if I could actually find them.
    Trader Joe's has their own full fat Greek yogurt

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Thanks 14emom. I think I will wait off until the season warms up a bit perhaps, as my roomates are rather...frugal...and like to keep the heat down. Though, this calls for a crock pot - which where I'm from, is a slow cooker device - are any of the settings good enough to keep it warm, without a towel or blanket wrap? Or is that the wrong kind of crock pot - I've known a few people use that word for ceramic dishes, like a casarole pot.

I am apparently fortunate, however: According to something I read a few weeks ago while searching for local sources of delicious meat (and dairy), I gleaned that there's a goat...herding man...(goatherd?) not far from me. I may be able to try my hand at old-school Classical Age Greek yogurt. I know they did it with goat milk alone (practically everything with goat milk actually).

I may also try making my own starter - I'll have to research that when I get the time - though I'll probably do my first experiments with a commercial one.

M.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    Trader Joe's has their own full fat Greek yogurt
    I don't think the TJs around here sell that . All I see is 0% and 2% TJs Greek.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    A crock pot on the warm setting is 150°F, so it will not work to "incubate" the yogurt.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    My goto for store bought if I'm not making it myself is Cabot 10%.

If I'm making it myself I substitute 1/4 of the whole milk (I use raw and don't heat it as high to keep it that way) with HWC to increase the fat and make it delicious.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Basically I add one tablespoon of yogurt per quart of warmed milk (110 degrees). I do mine in quart jars and then put them in a thermos (old school red going to work version) to control the temperature. Leave it for 24 hours. Then there's yogurt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast