Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello! + Acne Question... page

jibber is offline Junior Member

Hello! + Acne Question...

Primal Fuel
    Hola PBr's,

Have any of you had any changes with acne, cystic or otherwise, since you've been eating a la Primal? And if your skin has improved, do you eat dairy at all?

Thanks so much!

J

hayley3 is offline Member
    Hi Jibber,

I had terrible skin on my face through eating certain foods which triggered a reaction (tomatoes, oats, colouring, artificial flavours etc) and since going primal my face is a thousand times better although I can now add avocados to the list of trigger foods :-(. I have had a few adjustment issues though as I am sporting a rather attractive rash on my chest at the mo and I did get one on my back but that is starting to clear also. I think it was the huge changes taking place inside that my body had to get used to. I'm still a work in progress but I have no doubs whatsoever that I will have beatiful skin come summer time - I'm hoping the sun exposure will clear up the rest.

A good tip that I got when I posted a similar thread was to use coconut oil. I use the same brand that I cook with/add to food and it's available at health food stores in the UK not sure about other parts of the world. I know it sounds a bit strange but I assure you it does work - I melt it in my hands and put some on at night time and wash off in the morning. You should maybe do it one day on one day off to prevent blocked pores on unaffected areas (which I noticed from using it every day). I haven't tried it on my face as I haven't needed too but another poster advised using it as a sort of face mask after washing your face and then rinse off after 5 minutes or so. If ever I need to I will try this.

I eat butter and heavy cream but very very rarely do I eat cheese.

Best of luck!!
    There are none so blind as those determined not to see

Cynarin is offline Senior Member
    Hi Jibber,

I eat a high-fat, low-carb Primal diet with some high fat dairy (heavy cream in coffee and tea, cooking with butter) and have been pretty thoroughly Primal for about two months (my "cheats" are mainly beer, almost never sweets or grains).

I've also stopped taking the prescription retinoid (Differin) and the oral antibiotics I had been taking for my acne and have yet to have more than the tiniest clogged pores (these are likely the result of wearing makeup, I expect). Going Primal has drastically changed the quality of my complexion, to the point where I can just wash my face at night, then moisturize with coconut oil, rinse my face in the morning, moisturize again, and go. No prescription or non-prescription medication needed.

That is to say, yes, amazingly so. Good luck!
    "To shed all the illusory rights & hesitations of history demands the economy of some legendary Stone Age--shamans not priests, bards not lords, hunters not police, gatherers of paleolithic laziness, gentle as blood, going naked for a sign or painted as birds, poised on the wave of explicit presence, the clockless nowever." --Hakim Bey, TAZ

teamommy is offline Member
    Dairy is a huge trigger for me. It upsets my entire body so I don't eat it. I can eat ghee with no problem. A primal diet has made a huge difference in my skin. My skin is softer and more luminous. The bags under my eyes are lighter. People tell me how great my complexion looks all the time. I do wear make-up every day (mineral make-up) and have no breakouts period. I eat a lot of coconut oil and I think it makes a difference. When I first went primal my skin was horrific for a week or so due to the release of stored toxins.

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    My wife's acne which she had had since she was a teenager disappeared when she went low-carb and her skin changed within a few weeks. It's now clear 90% of the time. We discovered that she was having blood sugar issues prior to that and suspect the improvement was insulin-related.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Part of the protocol with the coconut oil was to put it on, rinse the face, and then use a little splash of cider vinegar, the "real" live kind. Leaves an acid mantle and beneficial bacteria, is my impression.

When I first went primal I had some acne after a long time without any, but mostly after indulging my cheese habit. Cleared up.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    My skin cleared up and improved 85% on primal...mostly ditching the grains, I suspect. I never really had "bad" skin as an adult, but as I've aged my pores seemed to be getting bigger and more visible and I had blackheads (meh). I've started only using almond oil as moisturizer (rather than organic oil free lotion) and that has helped as well. The last couple weeks I've REALLY cut down on dairy (a few tbsp of cream per day, maybe 1tbsp of butter) and I realized this morning that I had nary a blackhead left on my face and most of my pores look like they did in my 20s. Not perfect skin, but I'd say switching to the almond oil and nearly cutting all dairy has taken me from 85% after ditching grains/sugar and going low carb to 95% clear skin.

I'm really upset about the dairy thing I LOVE my greek yogurt, cream and butter. For now, I'm going to keep it at *very minimal* and see what happens.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    Dr. Cordain of Paleo Diet fame and mostly very respected in the community already wrote a book on diet and acne:

http://www.dietaryacnecure.com/

Lady Grok is offline Senior Member
    My skin has improved enormously as a result of following the PB. I had one or two cysts pop up right after I started- as someone else said, I am thinking they were a result of stored toxins. But I saw a difference in my skin the first week- rosacea is 90% gone, no new cysts, acne seems to be an occasional hormonal thing. I have struggles with my skin since late adolescence- all kinds of antibiotics and topicals, Accutane TWICE, and never gotten things "under control" like they are now. I still do eat dairy- greek yogurt a few times a week, cream in my tea.

any clue about the other 5%? is that dietary you think or stress? still trying to figure out my skin issues. i am fully paleo, no grain, not much sugar (cutting out fruit). still trying to determine all triggers!

Cara

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast