Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello! + Acne Question... page 2

pebblehead is offline Member
    Shop Now
    All kinds of things can aggravate acne. I cut out most wheat over a year ago, but have only made a concentrated effort to go primal in the last two weeks. Disappointingly, cutting out wheat and most carbs didn't seem to have an effect on my skin.

However, something I read on another post on this forum came as a complete surprise to me, that fluoride from your toothpaste can aggravate acne, especially if you've been finding yourself breaking out around your chin. I've been brushing with baking soda for about a week now, and haven't had any new breakouts on my chin since then. Only time will tell whether this is a long-term thing, or whether I'm just lucky right now.

racingsnake is offline Senior Member
    All kinds of things can aggravate acne. I cut out most wheat over a year ago, but have only made a concentrated effort to go primal in the last two weeks. Disappointingly, cutting out wheat and most carbs didn't seem to have an effect on my skin.
    I would recommend giving it another couple of weeks - it can take a while for these changes to take effect.

ilikesubtitles is offline Senior Member
    For me the big breakthrough was eating more fatty meat. I had been a pescetarian for two years, then switched to a sort-of-primal diet (eating few grains, but more legumes, and still consuming beer) for about six months, then cut out gluten due to the discovering of an intolerance, and just recently began eating traditional meats while very strictly avoiding grains (except for a rare occasion once every two or four weeks). I wash with conventional acne wash (St. Ives....it's alright, but I'm looking for a less chemically laden alternatives) and OCM about once a week or so, and moisturize with jojoba oil in the morning at night. I sometimes use emu oil to put over any popped pimples that arise to prevent scar formation.

fanlynne is offline Junior Member
    Hey,i am new heremglad to be here (with you).....

canadianwoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jibber View Post
    Hola PBr's,

Have any of you had any changes with acne, cystic or otherwise, since you've been eating a la Primal? And if your skin has improved, do you eat dairy at all?

Thanks so much!

J
    Mine clears up nicely when I don't eat dairy.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    My skin improved a lot going primal, but it still isn't perfect. Dairy doesn't affect me (I'm Scandinavian fyi). I tend to have one pimple all the time (not cystic) and I also have some hyperpigmentation. I don't know how to get baby skin so I've settled for my current situation. One thing that I directly linked to an increase in breakouts was cheap supermarket multivitamin (I have no issues with my current one from iherb).

taihuibabe is offline Junior Member
    Dairy doesn't seem to affect me one way or t'other... although I've always used full-fat in that regard and buy organic in all cases. Not much of a milk drinker these days, but I like my cheese & yogurt.

One point of interest to Primal folk--I seem to be allergic to almonds. When I started eating them daily last spring, I promptly broke out in large, painful cysts all around my mouth. Took me about 6 monts of eliminating foods--including milk, which made no change--to figure out the culprit.

Ginger & cardamom also appear to be triggers for me, although not as severe.

taihuibabe is offline Junior Member
    I'll second that about the fluoride. Switching toothpastes helped me a LOT. I think when I moved to my new town, the water/fluoride concentration was higher and it was too much for me.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taihuibabe View Post
    One point of interest to Primal folk--I seem to be allergic to almonds. When I started eating them daily last spring, I promptly broke out in large, painful cysts all around my mouth. Took me about 6 monts of eliminating foods--including milk, which made no change--to figure out the culprit.
    I'm kind of curious about this. How were the almonds prepared? Raw almonds contain cyanides that can be fairly toxic, in addition to phytates.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    My skin is better, overall. But i have some bumps on my forehead. It seems like I read in MDA that this might relate to increased testosterone. I haven't really added anything to my diet except sometimes frying in virgin coconut oil. I get lots of vitamin D3, usually 10,000 IU. Someone mentioned zinc, so I am taking it (+copper) too.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast