Thread: Increasing Speed/Sprinting page

Bobert is offline Senior Member

Increasing Speed/Sprinting

Shop Now
    There are quite a few sources linked for strength (leangains, starting strength, etc...) Anyone have good resources for getting faster and jumping higher and having quicker hands?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Practicing, strength training. Build up your squats, sprint, and jump... honestly I can't imagine there being much more to it than that. Build the neural connections required to be faster by doing endless repetitions.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Just google information for sprinters. Most of it is techniques and some tips.
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    agreed...get some info on sprinting training. along with a good lifting routine (probably power moves), getting out and sprinting and jumping will be the best thing. what you will want to find out or experiment with is how much, how long, how often, and how much rest. if you're looking to increase you sprinting speed, i'm guessing you'll need to cut your number of sprints way down, and give yourself at least 5-10 minutes of rest in between them.

young.glass is offline Junior Member
    Tudor Bompa writes about ideal training approaches for sprinters. He has a handy chart in this book:

Periodization Training for Sports - 2nd Edition: Tudor Bompa, Michael Carrera: 9780736055598: Amazon.com: Books

The chart outlines how many sets, at what duration, at what intensity, and with what rest intervals you should train for different purposes (i.e. sprinter, football player, intermediate distance runner, distance runner, etc.).

Bompa is the guy who pioneered periodization training (or at least the guy that brought it to Western countries). The theory is that you get better results by training in phases instead of doing the same thing 12 months a year.

I'm in China and my book is in Canada so I can't scan/upload the chart for you unfortunately. Your library probably has it though.

Bobert is offline Senior Member
    Thanks young.glass.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Sprinting is anarobic, based off of your power
    If you want to increase your speed then you want to increase your power
    To increase your power train the olympic lifts: the snatch, the clean & jerk; afterward run sprints until your heart explodes
    This is neurological training that will alter the number of your muscle fibers recruited as well as their speed in contracting

That was your answer on how to increase your speed through training and practice

signed,
    TFC (USAW Level 1 sports performance coach)
    ad astra per aspera