Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping and Mattresses page

Phresh is offline Member

Sleeping and Mattresses

Primal Fuel
    Anyone got good research in this regard?

I'm moving out of my dorm and into a nice house with a backyard soon, so I'm able to get all my own furniture now. I like sleeping on firm surfaces. Some of the best sleep I got was in a sleeping bag on rocks in the wilderness. I can't stand those squishy sink-in feeling beds most people have. I feel like I need some sort of bed just for... bed's sake. Was thinking of an actual loft with a desk underneath. I also like being cool/cold.

Which type of mattress is the best? None at all? I understand the personal comfort factor, just looking for more actual research and which would be best for my health long-term.
    Last edited by Phresh; 01-21-2013 at 11:57 PM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    There is nothing wrong with sleeping on the floor. I would prefer it myself. Another option would be a hammock. Definitely check out that option. really itneresting.

Phresh is offline Member
    Wouldn't be as interested in the hammock. I still just want a bed. Albeit down for one that resembles a hard floor.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Then you'll want an extra firm mattress. The Organic Mattress Store in the US is great. We had a great mattress from there. Now that we are in NZ, we have an okooko/design mobel organic mattress. It's also good. Softer per DH's preferences -- I could go firmer (i like extra firm).

Organic mattresses usually require a slat bed instead of a box spring. the organic mattress store sells nice ones. What we did instead was we bought various sustainably harvested 2x4s (organic, non-treated), then I sanded and waxed them (natural, beeswax and stuff!), and then I made organic muslin wraps for them. It was a fun project. so we were basically just 2 inches off the floor. It was great for me (i love being on the floor -- my preference would be sheepskins on the floor and some light blankets), but DH didn't like the up and down as much. Here, we have a design mobel slat bed, which is great for keeping us warm at night when it is cold here (no under-floor insulation. . . so . . . anyway, lots of explain).

My preference -- even now -- would be sheepskin on the floor. I'd get rid of all of our furniture, probably, too. LOL maybe keep some shelves. Still. . . I'm weird like that.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    How about a floor futon?
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Phresh is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    How about a floor futon?
    Seems weird, like I'd be laying on a pillow.

And zoebird, I think that mattress is a little too pricey.

fuzzylogic is offline Senior Member
    Ikea has good prices and good quality mattresses. IIRC, the mattress one level above mine was kinda like a soft rock. I like to snuggle in my bed, so I got a softer rock......

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Futons aren't usually pillow-like. They're pretty firm. The ones I've slept on have been, anyway, but the mattress has usually been stuffed something, and not mostly synthetic or foam.

Ikea has some nice affordable options, and plenty of choices when it comes to firmness. They have some laid out in the store for testing. Note that the one you like in the store will be a little more firm when you first get it. Mine wore in after a month or so, I think.

I've read about Japanese floor mats...can't remember if they have any kind of name. Basically, it's a slightly cushioned mat, a bit smaller than a regular mattress in terms of length & width dimensions. You fold or roll it up everyday and put it away, so it doesn't take up much floor space (great for small living spaces!). That would be fairly firm, but with enough contour to avoid a lot of discomfort from just laying flat on the floor. It would be really uncomfortable for me, anyway. I imagine Grok would look for comfortable ground if he was sleeping away from his regular home, and that he might've had a bed made from animal skins and reeds or something. I would suggest a small buckwheat pillow under the neck while you adjust, or start with a thinner-than-average, slightly firmer mattress first.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

sarahelyse is offline Member
    I'm curious to see what you choose and how you like it! I'll be needing to purchase a new mattress in a few months, and I like the firmer (and cheaper!) ones as well!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I slept on my hardwood floor on one of those very thin camping foam pads. My mom kept pressuring me to get a bed because of the Asian fear or draftiness and bacteria, so I caved and got an extra firm bed. If I didn't have such temporary housing, I would have gotten one of those $7000 bamboo beds. They were the best ever to sleep on when I was staying in China...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast