Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two Newbie Questions: VEGGIES and MAYO page

cypressc is offline Junior Member

Two Newbie Questions: VEGGIES and MAYO

Shop Now
    Hi all. I've been eating primal for two weeks now. At first it was hard, but now I am loving it. I have a few questions for y'all....

1) MAYONNAISE. Last few days I've been making a great primal chicken salad with poached chicken, bacon, avocado and a few tablespoons of mayo. I realize that Hellmans/Best Foods isn't the best thing for a diet... but on this primal blueprint, fat is supposed to be okay. Today I ate 60g carbs, 170g protein, and 125g of fat -- 30-40g of which was from the mayo. Should I cut out the mayo or is it closer to butter in that eating the fat isn't going to throw me off track with the primal diet.

2) VEGGIES. I hate 'em. And beyond the taste-aversion, I have horrible digestive issues that make digesting many veggies near-impossible for me. I've been relying on tomato sauce and supplementing vitamins/fiber to make up for the leafy greens I cannot digest (oh how I would love a spinach salad, that's one of the few veggies I like, but I can't hold it down). Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone else here not eating much in the way of vegetables? Should I feel okay if I am getting my vitamins and fiber through other sources? Or does the idea of not eating veggies sounds really detrimental to a successful primal diet?

Thanks in advance for any comments and help. So far I've lost 4 pounds in two weeks (ending a six-week carb-induced weightloss plateau). I love eggs, bacon, nuts, avocados, and I can eat turkey/chicken without ever getting sick of it. I keep feeling like if this is all I have to do, then this will be easy. I'm just worried about my mayo/veggie stumbling blocks.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Fat is good for you. Eat all the fat you like. I eat more than 70% of my daily caloric intake in fat, and I'm dropping weight like crazy.

There are people on here (like Tarlach) who are pretty much carnivore-only. It can be done. I generally only eat a BAS every other day or so for my veggies.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

FrankOcean is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I just eat the veggies that I like.

Mushrrooms, peppers, napa, lettuce, onions , cucumbers , maybe brocoli, but thats it.

And I dont eat them everyday.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Are you trying to eat only 'raw' greens? That would upset me, too. If you tried some spinach (or mustard greens) or cabbage sauteed in some olive oil and chopped garlic, you'd love those greens!

To me, cooking any veggie in olive oil and garlic transforms it.

You can also try roasting veggies--absolutely delicious. I like eggplant, cauliflower, zucchini, mushrooms, or broccoli roasted in the over at 420F for about 20 min.

Anand Srivastava is offline Senior Member
    What kind of Mayo is it? Is it made with hydrogenated vegetable oil? If it is the pure Olive or Tallow Variety then fine. But I somehow think that that will not be the case :-(.

Veggies are not meant to be eaten raw. We evolved to cook a long back.

cypressc is offline Junior Member
    Veggies: I have a bad case of gastroparesis and vegetables really aggravate it, cooked or raw.

Mayo: I'm referring to store-bought Best Foods'/Hellman's Mayo in the jar. How detrimental is it to going primal? Can I keep it in (in moderation) and chalk it up as one of my fats? Or is something in it sabotaging the process?

Thanks for the help. Just finished eggs/bacon and looking forward to 10-oz of taco-seasoned ground turkey for lunch. This is the easiest diet ever.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I would say the mayo is OK, (better than lots of carbs) but you'd be much better off making your own. Pretty much all commercial mayo is made using soybean oil which is highly processed and high in Omega-6 fatty acids. In general, you want to lower intake of omega-6 and raise intake of omega-3 to achieve a good ratio (some specify 1:1 as being optimal), although both are essential fatty acids (cannot be synthesized from others). Dr. Kurt Harris (www.paleonu.com) advocates getting a very small percentage of total fat from any form of poly-unsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) and instead recommends getting most from saturated fats.

Making your own mayo is easy and delicious! All you need is an egg yolk or two, some acid (vinegar/lemon juice), and some oil (I've had success with a mixture of melted lard and olive oil). Whisk the egg yolk with some acid, then SLOWLY add the oil while constantly whisking. If you do it right, the emulsion will form. If you add oil too fast and it breaks, you can whisk another yolk in another bowl and SLOWLY add the broken emulsion and WHISK!!!

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    I can totally identify with gastroparesis, as I've had it for many years. I remember about 6 years ago I was going in for a barium esophogram, and was told to fast for 24 hours first, which I did. Long story short, it took 3 days of total fasting before my stomach was empty enough for the test. People without this condition find it hard to identify with.

Raw veggies absolutely suck with gastroparesis. One of the best things I've found with primal eating is that there are no nutrients in vegetables that you can't get in animal products, and in a form that's much easier for us to digest, too. Generally, I consume vegetables as condiments -- onions and mushrooms fried in butter with my steak, tomato slice fried in garlic butter as a side to my eggs, pickles chopped as a topping to my ground beef patty -- and sometimes I'll have well-cooked veggies so I have something to pour cheese sauce on. Even so, I make sure my veggies are cooked very well, I chew them thoroughly, and never consume liquids with my meals. I believe the overconsumption of vegetable matter is a latterday phenonemon for the most part.

I'm finding lately that I'm linking to the PaNu blog frequently, but there's a ton of good information posted there by Dr. Kurt Harris. You may find this entry helpful: http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2...-or-magic.html

batty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    Are you trying to eat only 'raw' greens? That would upset me, too. If you tried some spinach (or mustard greens) or cabbage sauteed in some olive oil and chopped garlic, you'd love those greens!

To me, cooking any veggie in olive oil and garlic transforms it.

You can also try roasting veggies--absolutely delicious. I like eggplant, cauliflower, zucchini, mushrooms, or broccoli roasted in the over at 420F for about 20 min.
    this. try cooking em and see what happens.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

darienx19 is offline Senior Member
    I don't know how to advise about the veggies. I think I would give primal a chance to kick in, perhaps get a probiotic, and try out some cooked ones after that? Thats what I would do if I had those symptoms, but like I said, I'm not very familiar with your condition.

As for the Mayo, I agree with the suggestion to make your own. I know there's a recipe in the archive that uses egg yolks and coconut oil, but I've also heard of people using bacon fat instead. An additional reason we tend to avoid soy anything is because of the lectin content. I don't remember who showed me or where on here I found the link for this, but here is some information on lectin. I can't vouch for the accuracy of every detail, but it seems to mirror most/all of the things listed here at MDA. If you can tolerate avacado, I've had some success replacing the mayo with it in making deviled eggs. Otherwise, I tend to enjoy using olive oil and red wine vinegar on things like tunafish or shredded chicken.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast