Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two Newbie Questions: VEGGIES and MAYO page 2

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Vegetable oils are not okay. Canola, soybean, safflower, sunflower, etc ARE the plague. They're likely to be GMO, they're likely to be oxidized, they will mess with your omega 3-6 balance and kill your HDL. If you make your own mayo with some cold-pressed olive oil and make sure to account for the PUFAs in your ratio, that would be wise. Because anything commercial and processed like hellman's Mayo is likely to be oxidized I just wouldn't take the risk.

cypressc is offline Junior Member
    Thanks all for the input. I guess I'll try and cut out the mayo, or at least limit my chicken/egg salad to one or two days a week.

I've tried cooking veggies, but it only barely helps my condition. Throw in GERD and IBS and you have one messed up digestion track here. Veggies are like pouring salt on a wound for this stomach. Even a piece of onion (raw alone or cooked into a recipe) will turn me green with nausea.

Thanks all for the advice.

Meep that's quite the problem. Veggies are definitely not necessary for great health so if you truly can't stomach them, just replace the good stuff from them with other things.

What's your dietary history? Have you eaten a lot of junk, done a lot of drugs, etc. It could be a lack of intestinal flora or leaky gut syndrome from things like lectins, gluten, lactose, etc. Have you tried probiotic foods or supplements? Also, you may want to get a food sensitivity test because something is likely very wrong and just removing the antagonists isn't enough to ensure optimal health in the future.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member
    Stabby, just wanted to point out that gastroparesis is characterized by very slow emptying of the stomach and movement of food through the digestive tract. It is often, although not always, caused by diabetes (http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/gastroparesis/index.htm). It is not associated with leaky gut syndrome, although that could be a separate issue.

The side effects of gastroparesis are very complicated and easily mistaken for other conditions, and can be accompanied by issues with gastrointestinal flora. For example, gastroparesis and GERD and bloating are usually associated, as having a bezoar (mass of undigested, solid food) slowly fermenting in your stomach causes an abundance of gas. For me, (simplifying tremendously), the GERD caused the gastroparesis by damaging the vagus nerve that runs along the esophagus. The vagus nerve dictates the speed and strength of the stomach contractions. Without the correct timing and strength of those contractions, the stomach simply doesn't empty according to a normal schedule.

When I was first diagnosed with gastroparesis, I was given a low residue diet plan to follow, consisting of rice, white bread, pudding, canned peaches, and other garbage, and restricted from eating most vegetables. I tried to eat like that, and succeeded for a short time, but slowly began adding some vegetables to my diet. I was a CW believer at the time, although moving toward a WPF belief system, so it was confusing to know how to eat.

The PB has relieved me of any guilt about not eating vegetables and especially about not eating fruit. Humans simply don't need much in the way of fiber, which is the reason most people try to eat vegetables and whole grains, and the small amounts of vegetables that make eating food enjoyable (mushrooms, herbs, onions, etc.) are tolerable to me now after eliminating all grains and reducing vegetables drastically and eating no fruit at all. Of course, there are aggravating factors, such as also having no gall bladder, but the gastroparesis distress has been virtually eliminated for me by the PB.

It's the fiber that causes the problems, and as Peter over at Hyperlipid states: "As fiber is of no use to humans and it appears to feed the bacteria that cause IBS, including good old klebsiella, you have to wonder where the medical fascination with fiber comes from...

We all know where fiber ends up, why suffer the gut problems it causes as it gets there?" (http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.c...and%20bacteria)

Ah okay I must have missed the gastritis part.

Meep! That sounds awful

Egerland is offline Senior Member
    I've puzzled over the mayo issue, since most are loaded with PUFAs. I just bought some Walden Farms mayo. Not really primal, but it has no calories, so its not really non-primal either. It does contain some egg white.

Yeah, it's pretty horrible at first until you learn how to adjust to it. Gastroparesis is literally paralysis of the gastrointestinal system, especially the stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by Egerland View Post
    I've puzzled over the mayo issue, since most are loaded with PUFAs. I just bought some Walden Farms mayo. Not really primal, but it has no calories, so its not really non-primal either. It does contain some egg white.
    Has no calories? What's it made out of?

Ah, just found the Walden Farms mayo ingredients:
    Ingredients: Triple filtered purified water, cellulose fiber, cellulose gum, salt, white vinegar, corn starch, egg white, xanthan gum, beta carotene, egg flavor, mustard, lemon juice, food color, sucralose.
    http://www.carbsmart.com/wfmayo.html

The "Farms" in the name is pretty laughable! Should be "Walden Labs" instead. Corn starch? Sucralose? Cellulose fiber and gum? Ugh. Try making your own mayo, it's easy and can be a great way to add fat into your diet. I make mine with macadamia nut oil, but a quick search on the forums will give you ideas for other fat, such as bacon.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Haha Walden Labs!

I like how they make sure to mention that the water is "tripple filtered purified water'. Wouldn't want any of that nasty chlorine getting through!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast