Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The pound-of-each diet page

purple579 is offline Member

The pound-of-each diet

Shop Now
    I've heard a lot of people on this forum recommending the pound a day diet, where you eat a pound each of meat, vegetables, and potatoes. I don't happen to have a food scale, so I was wondering if someone could outline how much a pound of each would look like? And do eggs fit into the diet in any way?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by purple579 View Post
    I've heard a lot of people on this forum recommending the pound a day diet, where you eat a pound each of meat, vegetables, and potatoes. I don't happen to have a food scale, so I was wondering if someone could outline how much a pound of each would look like? And do eggs fit into the diet in any way?
    This is basically the premise behind Perfect Health Diet - A diet for healing chronic disease, restoring youthful vitality, and achieving long life

In the book, they deconstruct an ancestral diet and come up with optimal amounts of food to eat. The PHD food pyramid (apple actually) is composed of .5-1 pound of starchy food, .5-1 pound of other veggies, .5-1 pound of meat, and some supplemental and healthy snack foods. Eggs are considered supplementary food and they recommend eating several a day.

The diet itself is up to interpretation for the individual reader in that you will have to take activity levels, goals, and health issues into account when deciding what is best for you.

The way I have tailored the PHD to me is to eat 1 pound of starch, meat, and veggies most days. That comes to about 1500 calories alone, but I also eat some other stuff like nuts, cheese, chocolate, etc... which ups the calories to where I maintain easily and feel good.

A pound of starch looks like 2 med. potatoes.

A pound of meat could look like a big steak; 2 or 3 chicken breasts; 4 cans of sardines; or a combo. 4 'deck of card' size servings is about 16 oz.

A pound of fruit and veggies looks like 3 bananas; 4 apples; a big-ass salad; or a combo of similar.

In daily eating I don't weigh anything, unless there happens to be a scale and I'm curious. I just eat a couple potatoes, a lot of meat, and a lot of veggies. I only use fat sparingly, but it ends up being about 50% of total calories a day.

Other starch sources recommended by PHD are rice, sweet potato, and tropical starchy foods like taro, tapioca, and plantains.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I haven't read about this before anywhere on the forum, but I see otzi posting, so it must be from the potato hack thing.

What about fat?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Seem like a good and healthy diet to me, as a big guy I would rather shoot for two pound of fruit and vegetables, but I like the simple setup of this diet though...

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    In my experience, that was what I have been following on my "good" days. I think it's a fairly good blanket guideline.

Re the fat: Fat is inherent in your pound of protein + any additional added fat to saute/dress up your veggies? Use as much as necessary

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I haven't read about this before anywhere on the forum, but I see otzi posting, so it must be from the potato hack thing.

What about fat?
    The fat is in your meat... plus a little fat for cooking.
    I think the PHD allows for sparing amounts of nuts and seeds as well.
    But as a much smaller part of the diet. Sort of window dressing.

Just as a personal thing that is a heap too much food.
    But to each their own.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Actually I've done a variation on that to some degree....but I don't eat a pound of veggies if I'm eating any tators. Only so much room in da belly. Probably up the meat to 1.5 lbs also.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    PHD ftw!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    The fat is in your meat... plus a little fat for cooking.
    I think the PHD allows for sparing amounts of nuts and seeds as well.
    But as a much smaller part of the diet. Sort of window dressing.

Just as a personal thing that is a heap too much food.
    But to each their own.
    Yeah, fat is a much bigger part of my diet. I mean, I don't really go out of my way to eat it, but I don't skimp. Plenty of fat for cooking!

I don't think I could handle 1 lb of veggies. Overall, I think it would end up being too much food for me, volume and calorie-wise, though I eat about 1 lb of meat a day. I think that much fiber would block me up, too, but I'm a special snowflake like that.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Or make it one pound of meat, one pound of starches, one pound of fruit, and green fibrous vegetables ad libitum, would definitely work for most people. And for those having problems with binging after eating fruits, make sure to eat those at the end of the day and your liver and brain will stay happy throughout the night...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast