Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The pound-of-each diet page 2

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I haven't read about this before anywhere on the forum, but I see otzi posting, so it must be from the potato hack thing.

What about fat?
    There have been a couple of PHD threads, not my invention for sure!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Ah okay, admittedly, I have not read anything about the Perfect Health Diet (is that what it stands for? haha).
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

otzi Guest
    The big difference between PHD and PB is that PB'ers usually eat more meat and almost zero starch. The PHD replaces a big portion of meat with starch. That's the only real difference.

I find it to be very easy to follow. 2 servings of potato, rice, sweet potato or tropical starch a day, 1 pound of meat (usually a can of sardines or oysters for lunch, then a big hunk of meat with dinner), unlimited vegetables and a piece or two of fruit, or not. I use butter and CO to cook with, but don't measure or count it. I eat some nuts, chocolate, and cheese almost every day, not a lot and don't count it. I eat eggs, bone broth, and liver several times a week.

Really the only change I made was adding the starch and not obsessing about macros and calories.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Kinda what I do.

Roughly a kilo (2lb) of potatoes, a pound of meat with cheese, salsa and guacamole is a pretty common dinner for me. The meat has veggies mixed in. Nachos is awesome.
    Fruit works as a dessert - frozen bananas are amazing, truly.

I like variety in what I eat.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I haven't read about this before anywhere on the forum, but I see otzi posting, so it must be from the potato hack thing.

What about fat?
    The Diet | Perfect Health Diet

This says that the diet is 50-60% fat so it certainly isn't lacking in fat.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    ^They have 3 fantastic ways that they arrive at their macro recs....like their diet or not, that part is for sure worth a read ( I do like their stuff )

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I like the way Paleobird thinks: you don't need to eat vast quantities of food to get enough food. Three pounds of food each day sounds like a lot to me.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    ^They have 3 fantastic ways that they arrive at their macro recs....like their diet or not, that part is for sure worth a read ( I do like their stuff )
    The problem with their book, is there really is no 'diet'. I couldn't send the book to my lifelong SAD Dad and expect him to make heads or tails out of what he should be eating. All through, they interchange macros in terms of grams and percentage of calories,and talk about eating X amount of total calories without context of the eater in mind, just a generalization for everybody.

The book is a piece of cake for a reader of MDA Forums, but for the uninitiated it would be about meaningless if they were looking to go 'on a diet'.

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Is the pound of starch thing still good for people trying to lose, or is it better to hold off on the starch until you're in maintenance mode?

otzi Guest
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I like the way Paleobird thinks: you don't need to eat vast quantities of food to get enough food. Three pounds of food each day sounds like a lot to me.
    I used to eat no potatoes or rice, lots of fat and meat, and a big-ass salad usually once a day. Since adding the starch component back in, I find meals much more satisfying...lots of chewing, not lots of calories.

Compare the calories in 2 TBS of butter (204kcal) and the calories in a big 1/2 pound potato (154kcal).

I used to put at least 2TBS of butter on my dinner veggies. Now I use none and instead eat a big potato.

Compare nutrients in 1/2 pound potato and 2TBS of butter:

Butter - a little Vit A and virtually no nutrients.
    Potato - all 12 essential nutrients represented, Vit B-6 and C, plus all the essential amino acids.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast