Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Splenda page

PhilR is offline Member

Splenda

Primal Fuel
    I know this subject has more than likely been discussed and I know it's bad for me. I am on a very low carb regimend due to my type 2, so I dont eat to much fruit, none really. I want a treat once in a while so I take plain yogurt and mix in sugar free jello. I'm just asking for any better suggestions? I do not do good with any kind of sweetners. With the exception of Splenda. Help! Yes I did read PB.

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    If you have to have a sweetner, what about Stevia? It comes from an herb. You can even grow it yourself to sweeten tea and such with the leaves. You can also buy it in natural food stores as a powder and use it in place of Splenda... they even have it in (expensive) little flavored liquids. The vanilla drops are great in yogurt.

-写

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    What about some dark dark chocolate as a treat?

Berries are low on the glycemic index, so they should be ok as a treat. As in 5 or 10 blueberries in your yogurt etc. Not a cup full.

What about treating yourself to health? Today I gave myself a "treat" and ended up with tingling lips, my heart beating out of my chest and a gross feeling tummy.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    yea, lilearthmomma, when is a treat not a treat? ..... more and more often.

Splenda and intestinal flora:

in rats:
    http://whattoeatbook.com/wp-content/...ppublished.pdf

This seems like a decent commentary about it:
    http://naturalbias.com/splenda-isnt-so-splendid/

Athena is offline Senior Member
    Stay away from artificial sweetners. They will cause u nothing but trouble. Stick with Stevia or frozen blueberries

MichaelA is offline Senior Member
    Speaking of Stevia... is this safe? I mean, what's the catch?

FrankOcean is offline Senior Member
    That you become a zombie at night, and demand Brainssss brainsssss...

It appears, that as long as you used it in moderation, youŽll be safe.

{

Athena is offline Senior Member
    I personally dont use it just because if I have a taste of anything too sweet...it turns in to me rummaging through the pantry consuming everything in sight. But just like anything sweet, use in moderation and only for treats

suechef is offline Member
    I don't think there's a downside to stevia (unless you have issues with anything sweet). I wrote an article about it nearly 20 years ago for a women's magazine in Toronto. Stevia has more political problems than anything else (the aspartame people would like you to believe it is bad for you). It's been used for decades in Japan and Korea in mainstream products, probably elsewhere. I wouldn't be surprised if our ancestors nibbled the leaves, just like other leaves (coca for eg). Everything I've read says it doesn't spike your insulin. The vanilla drops are great, I agree.

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I think stevia is as safe as a non-nutritive sweetener gets.

On the other hand, I find that after being Primal for a few weeks, I taste sweetness in things which never tasted sweet to me before, like lettuce. I've read many posts where people went back to their previously addictive treats like ice cream, and find them unbearably sweet.

Perhaps the desire for any sweetener will abate to where just a little something (like a bit of fruit) will be good enough?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast