Thread: Recommended HRM page

lifewithjades is offline Senior Member

Recommended HRM

Hola Amigos,

I'm going to purchase a HRM and am curious what you recommend? I'm thinking Polar F7?

I don't need anything too fancy- just want it to be accurate and sturdy/ efficient.

Gracias
    Jade

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    About two years ago I wanted a GPS/HR combo. But, trying to save money, I opted for a Timex HR and figured I could just keep using GoogleEarth to map my runs. Dummy! The Timex HR function stopped working after about 6 months. Granted, I was in a tropical environment and sweating quite heavily, using it...mmmmm.....an average of 5 times a week for 45 minutes to 1.5 hours. Now, chest strap no worky.

So I bit the bullet and bought the Garmin 405 with HR, almost a year ago. LOVE IT. Got it refurbished on eBay too for a better price. The touch-style bezel can be a little wonky when you're real sweaty but not too bad. Also, if you're doing a type of exercise where you bend your hands back, you may touch the bezel inadvertently. Annoying when you're trying to specifically watch HR or time. Only other thing I don't like is that you can't watch your time AND your HR at the same time; it's either/or.

Bottom line....for an HR monitor I do not recommend Timex. If you're looking for GPS/HR combo I am happy with my Garmin 405.

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member
    I bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T5J031-D...1992241&sr=1-3 about six months ago, no problems at all. The Polars are pricey, and battery replacement requires sending them out for both the watch and the chest strap. If money wasn't an object I'd probably go with a Suunto over a Polar, but I got the Timex for less than the price of a battery replacement for either.

Dryden is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Allbeef Patty View Post
    I bought this one: http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T5J031-D...1992241&sr=1-3 about six months ago, no problems at all. The Polars are pricey, and battery replacement requires sending them out for both the watch and the chest strap. If money wasn't an object I'd probably go with a Suunto over a Polar, but I got the Timex for less than the price of a battery replacement for either.
    This. You cannot replace the battery in the chest strap of a Polar. I also purchased a Timex through Amazon, though I got the T5H911. I've been very happy with it. More functions than I'll ever need for $55.

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member
    Maybe that's what's so expensive? You have to replace the strap?

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have the polar ft40 and it's always worked fine. simple, easy to use. Seems accurate.

I now use a Garmin 305 and really love it. mostly because it tracks my outdoor stuff so easily (distance, pace). I don't use the HRM function very often but when I have, it's just as accurate as the polar.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!