Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting through the low carb flu page 4

Zach is offline Banned
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyL View Post
    Ever tried adrenal failure? You feel it. And you get better painfully slow. And when you have a stressor, it knocks you back. And you feel it. When your reserves have been tapped out by years of insulin resistance, you feel stress quickly. You can't get up in the morning, you want to sleep in the middle of the day, you get sore easy etc.
    Way to breeze past all that pesky evidence. Also what is adrenal failure, like a new energy drink? Ill have to try it next time i see it.

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    I'm not seeing proof of what causes the free fatty acids.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    That's why I linked the Randle cycle.

“The antagonism between fat and sugar that Randle described can involve the suppression of sugar oxidation when the concentration of fats in the bloodstream is increased by eating fatty food, or by releasing fats from the tissues by lipolysis, but it can also involve the suppression of fat oxidation by inhibiting the release of fatty acids from the tissues, when a sufficient amount of sugar is eaten.”

“Sugar, by reducing the level of free fatty acids in the body, actually tends to protect against these toxic effects of the PUFA. Diabetes, like cancer, has been known for a long time to be promoted by unsaturated oils in the diet, rather than by sugar. The seed oil industry has been more effective than the sugar industry in lobbying and advertising, and the effects can be seen in the assumptions that shape medical and biological research.”

FFAs are liberated by adrenaline and other lipolytic stress substances.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

I wasn't low carb back then! But now I am. Why would my adrenals work full time when my cells are well fed with fat and don't need the sugar? Of course, when I was eating lots of carbs with a broken sugar metabolism, they were no doubt working hard to try and keep things stable as my sugars spiked and fell.
    Last edited by AshleyL; 01-21-2013 at 07:46 PM.

Way to breeze past all that pesky evidence. Also what is adrenal failure, like a new energy drink? Ill have to try it next time i see it.
    I haven't had a chance to read it all or research a thing.

It's not something to laugh at, it's very miserable and takes a very long time to climb out of. There have been people want to kill theirselves because of it.
    Last edited by AshleyL; 01-21-2013 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    Isn't another name for it laminitis? (they end up with something wrong in their hooves from being so over weight (I think, can't remember exactly)
    growing up we often had to section off paddocks for horses getting too much grass, and getting very over weight.
    Insulin resistance is the main cause of laminitis (inflamed lamina- the structure that attatches the bone in the hoof to the hoof wall). And then laminitis can cause founder, a loss of attachment and rotation or sinking of the bone in the hoof capsule.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    Insulin resistance is the main cause of laminitis (inflamed lamina- the structure that attatches the bone in the hoof to the hoof wall). And then laminitis can cause founder, a loss of attachment and rotation or sinking of the bone in the hoof capsule.
    thanks, I knew it was related somehow, I just couldn't remember.
    So yeah I know this really happens, and its fairly common, at least where I was growing up in NZ, as there was often plenty of green grass.

Zach is offline Banned
    I wasn't low carb back then! But now I am. Why would my liver and adrenals work full time when my cells are well fed with fat and don't need the sugar? Of course, when I was eating lots of carbs with a broken sugar metabolism, they were no doubt working hard to try and keep things stable as my sugars spiked and fell.
    Cells use glucose for energy not fat. If you are low carb then your body will break down protein for that glucose, sometimes from your body. This process is inherently stressful as it is catabolic.

You don't know cells can run on fat??? They can run on straight fat except for a small part of the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    That's why I linked the Randle cycle.

“The antagonism between fat and sugar that Randle described can involve the suppression of sugar oxidation when the concentration of fats in the bloodstream is increased by eating fatty food, or by releasing fats from the tissues by lipolysis, but it can also involve the suppression of fat oxidation by inhibiting the release of fatty acids from the tissues, when a sufficient amount of sugar is eaten.”

“Sugar, by reducing the level of free fatty acids in the body, actually tends to protect against these toxic effects of the PUFA. Diabetes, like cancer, has been known for a long time to be promoted by unsaturated oils in the diet, rather than by sugar. The seed oil industry has been more effective than the sugar industry in lobbying and advertising, and the effects can be seen in the assumptions that shape medical and biological research.”

FFAs are liberated by adrenaline and other lipolytic stress substances.
    Haven't got a chance to read these yet, like I say, but were these people who were fasted or restricted in calories? Because that's going to be completely different than someone with full glycogen stores.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast