Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting through the low carb flu page 3

Paleobird Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Hey look, a bunch of keto-nazis pushing low carb on someone who obviously doesnt need it!
    I think Chaco has the copyright on the term "keto-nazi" from earlier today. Zach, if you are going to be a twerp, at least be an original one.

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Watch in an argument who is giving actual reasoning and who is trying to just discredit the person instead of the info.

Fats are not empty calories, they contain fat soluble vitamins for one. Fats are essential nutrients and building blocks, like protein. Carbs are not (except in extremely minimal amounts even found in "NO carb" foods.

Your other information assumes a properly functioning sugar metabolism when so many people are insulin resistant!

I don't know if the op will be benefited by low carb, but it sure wont hurt her at all. I can tell when my stress hormones are high, they are not high on low carb, I had more symptoms of high stress eating higher carbs, because my body was broken and unable to cope with them.

How about you explain how a horse living on pasture gets insulin resistant and how we can help him? Because the sugar in the grass sure isnt fixing him. He'll founder on it eventually.
    Last edited by AshleyL; 01-21-2013 at 06:29 PM.

Shyloh is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyL View Post
    That's about as silly as saying my diesel truck needs gas to get down the road.

You can work out just fine in ketosis. Biggest thing that causes the sluggishness is electrolyte deficiencies caused by the changes the body is making. Typically the increased electrolyte need is temporary. So yes, bullion. I also like avacado with salt. Trick is to eat it before you get low.
    Thanks for the tips Ashley..I just so happen to love,avocados. I'll try eating one tomorrow,before I get low!
    Started eating Primal January 14th,2013
    CW: 126 lbs/GW 125lbs
    I am new to Primal/Paleo,loving it so far!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Zach is offline Banned
    Watch in an argument who is giving actual reasoning and who is trying to just discredit the person instead of the info.
    If thats the case then you guys look like hysterical bible beaters.

Fats are not empty calories, they contain fat soluble vitamins for one. Fats are essential nutrients and building blocks, like protein. Carbs are not (except in extremely minimal amounts even found in "NO carb" foods.
    Yes, oils are empty calories. Fats from meat and eggs are not, which i said already. You may need a minimal amount of EFA's (something like 1-2g a day). You certainly dont need hundreds of grams. Its also not either or, you can eat plenty of fat and get your fat soluble vitamins without restricting carb intake. Carbs also perform critical roles in the body, its not all about building blocks.

Your other information assumes a properly functioning sugar metabolism when so many people are insulin resistant!
    People become insulin resistant from eating processed foods and trans/polyunsaturated fats. Not from fruits and tubers. There is plenty of evidence to show that a low carb diet CAUSES insulin resistance.

I don't know if the op will be benefited by low carb, but it sure wont hurt her at all. I can tell when my stress hormones are high, they are not high on low carb, I had more symptoms of high stress eating higher carbs, because my body was broken and unable to cope with them.
    It certainly could harm her and it already is, by effecting her workouts.

How about you explain how a horse living on pasture gets insulin resistant and how we can help him? Because the sugar in the grass sure isnt fixing him. He'll founder on it eventually.
    I have no idea what this means.

The horse thing is about an animal eating natural food and developing insulin resistance for no apparent reason than he is not working hard enough and eating too much sugar (grass can contain a surprising amount of sugar).

People become insulin resistant from eating processed foods and trans/polyunsaturated fats. Not from fruits and tubers. There is plenty of evidence to show that a low carb diet CAUSES insulin resistance.
    I agree in part with your first two sentences. However, just because I didn't break my leg running, doesn't mean running wouldn't hurt it now that its broken (hypothetically my legs are fine thanks!).

Low carb doesn't cause insulin resistance and I've never seen such evidence. I do think excessive omega 6's play a big role. As well as genetics, lack of exersize nutritional deficiencies and more carbs than needed or can be handled because of those other factors.

The horse never ate trams fats or processed foods. He just did t work enough and ate too much sugar. There is an epidemic of insulin resistance among horses just like humans.
    Last edited by AshleyL; 01-21-2013 at 07:00 PM.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    The horse thing is about an animal eating natural food and aquiring insulin resistance for apparent reason than he is not working hard enough and eating too much sugar (grass can contain a surprising amount of sugar).
    wut

I have never heard of that happening before. Mind = Blown.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member

Info? Haven't seen any yet, just a bunch of anecdotes.

Free fatty acids, insulin r... [Proc Assoc Am Physicians. 1999 May-Jun] - PubMed - NCBI
    Free fatty acids-the link between obesi... [Endocr Pract. 2001 Jan-Feb] - PubMed - NCBI
    Free fatty acids and insulin ... [Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

Randle cycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Energy metabolism in trauma and sepsis: t... [Prog Clin Biol Res. 1983] - PubMed - NCBI

Cori cycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Right, I'm sure you've found a way to alter cellular metabolism and human biology as a whole so that your stress hormones aren't elevated when they're supposed to be. In fact, you're so zen like in tune with your body, you know exactly when your stress hormones are elevated.

How is anyone supposed to take this seriously? Come on.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Ever tried adrenal failure? You feel it. And you get better painfully slow. And when you have a stressor, it knocks you back. And you feel it. When your reserves have been tapped out by years of insulin resistance, you feel stress quickly. You can't get up in the morning, you want to sleep in the middle of the day, you get sore easy etc.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    You mean like when you force your pituitary and adrenals to work full time when you have insufficient glycogen storage in the liver? Nope, afraid I don't know this feeling.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    The horse never ate trams fats or processed foods. He just did t work enough and ate too much sugar. There is an epidemic of insulin resistance among horses just like humans.
    Isn't another name for it laminitis? (they end up with something wrong in their hooves from being so over weight (I think, can't remember exactly)
    growing up we often had to section off paddocks for horses getting too much grass, and getting very over weight.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast