Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting through the low carb flu page 2

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Shyloh the other thread isn't going to suit. With the amount of exercise you do I think more fat is not going to suit. Need to keep those carbs at least moderate.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    We have been through this before. I was doing heavy exercise (CrossFit) while under 50g carb per day.
    So yes it is fine for some people, its still early on for her, so it may be just an adjustment period.
    And there are other people in that other thread, not just sitting on their asses you know.

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    Why are you doing LC? You need glucose to fuel workouts so you might want to stop working out...
    That's about as silly as saying my diesel truck needs gas to get down the road.

You can work out just fine in ketosis. Biggest thing that causes the sluggishness is electrolyte deficiencies caused by the changes the body is making. Typically the increased electrolyte need is temporary. So yes, bullion. I also like avacado with salt. Trick is to eat it before you get low.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyL View Post
    That's about as silly as saying my diesel truck needs gas to get down the road.

You can work out just fine in ketosis. Biggest thing that causes the sluggishness is electrolyte deficiencies caused by the changes the body is making. Typically the increased electrolyte need is temporary. So yes, bullion. I also like avacado with salt. Trick is to eat it before you get low.
    Very silly indeed. Zach doesn't even try to be Primal. He's one of the Ray Peat sugar bees that have been buzzing around here lately. Why they are here I don't know. It would be like me going on a vegan forum and telling them that they need to eat meat. Why? Just to stir the pot perhaps.

Shadowknight137 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Very silly indeed. Zach doesn't even try to be Primal. He's one of the Ray Peat sugar bees that have been buzzing around here lately. Why they are here I don't know. It would be like me going on a vegan forum and telling them that they need to eat meat. Why? Just to stir the pot perhaps.
    Wouldn't it be more comparable to going onto a vegan forum and telling them to eat more protein/fat?

AshleyL is offline Senior Member
    There is no reason to go around harping on something like low carb. If its so bad, people will naturally quit it. Or if its so good people get healed they will also eventually quit it. And a few will like it so well/ be so physically messed up they stay in it by choice. It's a self balancing phenomenon! Some people are in a situation where sugars flat out injures them and your "eat Moar sugar!" Advice is as destructive as telling someone with a broken leg to run five miles on it every day. When your body is broken there are some things it cannot do! When I ate Moar sugar I was in pain all over and 36 lbs heavier and just about toget so bad I wasn't going to be able to work. That's what sugar was doing for me. Now I can run for miles and work my butt off as needed. I'm wearing pants I last word when I was 13 friggen years old! For the first time since I was a child I feel normal. Thank God I know better than to eat more freaken sugar.
    Last edited by AshleyL; 01-21-2013 at 05:31 PM.

Zach is offline Banned
    Hey look, a bunch of keto-nazis pushing low carb on someone who obviously doesnt need it!

OP, yes you certainly will need carbs to fuel that much exercise. If you are that close to your goal weight i see no reason whatsoever to replace carbs with "healthy" fats. Those fats you mentioned are basically empty calories. Instead you could eat some fruit or potatoes that are not only nutrient dense but will keep you from wrecking your health by going low carb. Eat eggs, some meat, some dairy and you will get all the fat you need along with plenty of nutrients.

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyL View Post
    There is no reason to go around harping on something like low carb. If its so bad, people will naturally quit it. Or if its so good people get healed they will also eventually quit it. And a few will like it so well/ be so physically messed up they stay in it by choice. It's a self balancing phenomenon! Some people are in a situation where sugars flat out injures them and your "eat Moar sugar!" Advice is as destructive as telling someone with a broken leg to run five miles on it every day.
    I wish I could like posts on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    Hey look, a bunch of keto-nazis pushing low carb on someone who obviously doesnt need it!

OP, yes you certainly will need carbs to fuel that much exercise. If you are that close to your goal weight i see no reason whatsoever to replace carbs with "healthy" fats. Those fats you mentioned are basically empty calories. Instead you could eat some fruit or potatoes that are not only nutrient dense but will keep you from wrecking your health by going low carb. Eat eggs, some meat, some dairy and you will get all the fat you need along with plenty of nutrients.
    No-one is pushing anything on to the OP.
    She came on here asking for help with being LC, this is the help we have given her.
    She may still be adjusting, or she may need to have more carbs, but she will know unless she has a chance to try ya know.

Zach is offline Banned
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayla2010 View Post
    No-one is pushing anything on to the OP.
    She came on here asking for help with being LC, this is the help we have given her.
    She may still be adjusting, or she may need to have more carbs, but she will know unless she has a chance to try ya know.
    Right because five people didnt attack me as soon as i even questioned why she was LC. Also not a single person has said that maybe she should keep her carbs higher even after she posted that she exercises six days a week which to me, that is just crazy. All you ladies want is another one to join your flock.

There is no reason that someone at a healthy weight and able to exercise that much should drop her carb intake when its already at a resonable PRIMAL level of 150. This is the primal forum, not the livin lavida low carb forum.

Ketosis is a catabolic and stressful state, simple as that. Carbs keep stress hormones low and keep the thyroid healthy, not to mention the bodies first choice in fuel especially for anaerobic exercise and heavy weight training.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast