Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Too many eggs and hypoglycemia? page 2

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Shop Now
    Could be because of polyunsaturated fatty acids; eggs contain quite a bit. Due to the effect of the Randle Cycle, PUFAs can cause hypoglycemia:
    The Randle Cycle Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

Wafaa is offline Member
    ^This is interesting. I know I can't deal with PUFAs well because any small amount of vegetable or seed oil will give me a really bad acne breakout. As it is, I'm having trouble keeping it away and have to be 100% perfect in my food. I didn't know they could mess with blood sugar, although that is interesting considering that my other acne trigger is, in fact, sugar (as in regular sugar, not fruit or carbs).

I didn't really understand if this happens in all people or certain susceptible individuals, or whether the free fatty acids are liberated to the blood stream via some internal biological process or directly from the digestive system. Clearly not everyone has problems with the PUFAs in eggs and can easily eat more than 3 without problems.
    I'd also be interested if there are cases where too many FFAs are linked to actual cases of hypoglycemia (like a cause-effect thing).

I'm off to google!
    Last edited by Wafaa; 01-26-2013 at 05:49 AM.
    My art blog.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    Could be because of polyunsaturated fatty acids; eggs contain quite a bit. Due to the effect of the Randle Cycle, PUFAs can cause hypoglycemia:
    The Randle Cycle – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
    This, and the amino acid composition in eggs stimulate insulin secretion, which can cause symptoms of hypoglycemia. I always eat my eggs alongside some orange juice. I can handle upwards to 5-6 at once when I eat them with orange juice and fry them in coconut oil to displace the PUFA.
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fiercehunter View Post
    The Randle Cycle – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
    A 56g extra lg egg has 800mg PUFA. Why do you consider this a high amount?

Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    This, and the amino acid composition in eggs stimulate insulin secretion, which can cause symptoms of hypoglycemia. I always eat my eggs alongside some orange juice. I can handle upwards to 5-6 at once when I eat them with orange juice and fry them in coconut oil to displace the PUFA.
    How does coconut oil "displace" PUFA's? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    How does coconut oil "displace" PUFA's? Thanks.
    It's highly saturated and its medium chains inhibit the livers formation of fat.

"An important function of coconut oil is that it supports mitochondrial respiration, increasing energy production that has been blocked by the unsaturated fatty acids. Since the polyunsaturated fatty acids inhibit thyroid function at many levels, coconut oil can promote thyroid function simply by reducing those toxic effects. It allows normal mitochondrial oxidative metabolism, without producing the toxic lipid peroxidation that is promoted by unsaturated fats."
    Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    A 56g extra lg egg has 800mg PUFA. Why do you consider this a high amount?
    It's a relatively small amount when you consider the sizable amount of nutrients it contains. However, it does tend to add up, hence the coconut oil.

Wafaa is offline Member
    I think my problem may actually be some type of allergy or difficulty digesting eggs. I'm on day 6 egg-free and I've suddenly become regular (I'm not usually) since stopping and seems to have a lot less bloat/gas. Just feeling better overall I think.
    My art blog.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Hi wafaa!

A while ago a couple of my daughters were reporting symptoms to me after eating eggs. So I thought about this a bit, and decided to try sourcing better quality eggs and eat them exclusively, just to test. The kids said eggs were well-tolerated again, and no more egg ickies. We also discovered how good better eggs taste - might be a duh! moment, but sometimes you just have to experience things yourself to get convinced.

It might be an idea. Glad you are feeling better, though!
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Derpamix View Post
    It's highly saturated and its medium chains inhibit the livers formation of fat.

"An important function of coconut oil is that it supports mitochondrial respiration, increasing energy production that has been blocked by the unsaturated fatty acids. Since the polyunsaturated fatty acids inhibit thyroid function at many levels, coconut oil can promote thyroid function simply by reducing those toxic effects. It allows normal mitochondrial oxidative metabolism, without producing the toxic lipid peroxidation that is promoted by unsaturated fats."
    Thanks. I am thinking coconut oil instead of PUFA will increase energy production but it isn't clear (to me, at least) that if co-ingested, coconut oil will compete with and displace PUFA.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast